Another MySQL Thread: Source Syncing, SMB/NFS Mix
Rainbow 
Before the flaming - I just have a simple question which I'm getting mixed results when searching on.

Can I do a localised mysql database and mix SMB for the windows clients and NFS for the linux clients (ie, iOS)? Have searched, some posts say no, some posts say yes, and none came up that had examples... All devices running Eden B1.

Cheers in advance.
You can but it won't work. Laugh
The full path to each item(including source) is stored in the library database. I dont think that path substitution works with library items.
You need to use a protocol for the sources that is usable by all the clients
Bugger. SMB still doesn't seem to play as nice on the ATV2, being that my NAS is just debian I was hoping to keep them all NFS, and be able to use SMB for the rogue windows machines I have around the place...

Cheers Smile
It works - I have two openelec clients using external nfs mounts to /storage/mount/etc and a windows laptop that is using path subsitution to use this same library. I can play directly from that library on the windows laptop but I don't update the library from the windows client as I suspect this will bugger things, but for jsut viewing the library and playing files, it definitely works.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Afaik, the ATV2 can't do NFS mounts, so that would screw me anyhow...
yeah there's that...
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Why do you need to do mounts? NFS and SMB are built into XBMC. Both should work on either OS without a problem. Hell use AFP if you feeling wild.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Fuuuuuuu.

I could have sworn I looked previously and NFS wasn't an option on Windows XBMC... I fail. Carry on.
It's an optio n but the internal NFS is a bit slow and flakey in my experience (as is the internal SMB!). OS level mounting seems to work better - more stable and faster...over the last few years this has proved the most reliable and performant for me. But it does bring with it greater complexity when sharing libraries etc.
path subs do work between file sharing protocols.
I have never had a problem with NFS. (There was an NFS write bug but it's been fixed). It is plenty fast for 1080p and never had a problem with speed, stability or anything else.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Ned Scott Wrote:path subs do work between file sharing protocols.

The answer I was looking for. Thankyou.

darkscout Wrote:I have never had a problem with NFS. (There was an NFS write bug but it's been fixed). It is plenty fast for 1080p and never had a problem with speed, stability or anything else.

That mirrors my expirence too. I've had issues with SMB on Linux devices, and NFS on Windows devices. I'd prefer to use as close to native as possible, hence this thread.

Cheers.
On Openelec, internal NFS is still broken in the current nightlies with multiple NFS shares. I have found it works ok on Windows Eden beta, though. I do find with internal vs/ external NFS though that the NFS is quicker - 1080p is easy with both of them, but navigation, particularly of long lists of smaller files (e.g. big picture directories) - is better with the external system NFS. It's definitely not a big deal though.
that openelec thing might get fixed next days ... oe will use same libnfs as master for now so that the implementation fits the lib ... fingers crossed
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
That would be good if for no other reason that quieting the countless threads on it Wink

And would of course make life simpler in general for OE/NFS users

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Another MySQL Thread: Source Syncing, SMB/NFS Mix0