With a HDMI only connection - Stereo only
I don't think this is really a XBMC problem, but since a lot of you run AVRs (amps), I hope it's ok if I ask here...

So, my HTPC is now connected with only HDMI to my Onkyo 607 AVR (for the first time ... I used to use DVI-to-HDMI-converter and Optical SPDIF).

All the digital bitstream videos (VIDEO-TS folders and MKVs) are lighting the amp properly (AC3, DD 5.1, DTS, etc.) and play fine. Even some MKVs with HD sound are working now (that wouldn't play before because the sound wasn't hooked up via HDMI).

But the problem is with plain old stereo MP3s and AVIs. Before (on SPDIF) they would light the amp as PCM but I could switch Listening Modes to something like PLIIx-Music, PLIIx-Movie or NEO:6 (simulated surround modes) to make the sound come from all speakers. PLIIx-Movie even did a good job of isolating the dialog to the Center speaker, and surround noises worked also ... all from a 2 channel track.

But now (on HDMI) the amp says it's PCM MultiChannel. There is a different set of Listening Modes now, but the only one that will play sound from all the speakers is "All Channel Stereo" . That is fine for MP3s, but pretty lame for Movies. I even have a 1080p MKV here that I was forced to watch is stereo.

I've checked the amp settings, but everything looks ok. Can anyone shed some light on what is happening here?
HTPC: Intel e6600 dual-core, ATI 5670 (HDMI), Gefen HDMI Detective Plus, Synology 12tb RAID-5 NAS
Software: Windows-10 Pro, Kodi v16.1
Home Theater: Onkyo 607 AVR, Epson 8350 Projector, Apple-TV4, BD-60 BluRay, Cisco DVR, Harmony 670
Speakers: Polk Audio Series II and Polk Subwoofer.
Please use a recent version (like Eden beta 1). I know some versions of Dharma would, if set for 5.1 speakers, output stereo as 5.1 and basically fill the other 3.1 channels with silence.

As a result you would still only have two channels of audio, but your AVR would see multichannel, and not be able to apply Dolby PLII etc.

IIRC this was fixed in September sometime.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
DDDamian Wrote:Please use a recent version (like Eden beta 1). I know some versions of Dharma would, if set for 5.1 speakers, output stereo as 5.1 and basically fill the other 3.1 channels with silence.

As a result you would still only have two channels of audio, but your AVR would see multichannel, and not be able to apply Dolby PLII etc.

IIRC this was fixed in September sometime.

Well, it seems I fix it by accident.

I had the Sound Device set to Default. You would think this means it follows the default Windows sounds device (which is AMD HDMI)... but maybe not ... or like you said ... a little buggy. Too much was working correctly for it not to be set right.

I already had it set to HDMI and 7.1 , but I had to change it from "Default" to
"WASAPI:AMD HDMI Output" .

Some of the files it seemed to be having a problem with were AAC 2.0 and 5.1 sound encoded ... which if I'm not mistaken are individual parallel PCM tracks. Anyway, it works fine now ... and I can select PLIIx modes. Thanks for watching out for me DDDamian Smile
HTPC: Intel e6600 dual-core, ATI 5670 (HDMI), Gefen HDMI Detective Plus, Synology 12tb RAID-5 NAS
Software: Windows-10 Pro, Kodi v16.1
Home Theater: Onkyo 607 AVR, Epson 8350 Projector, Apple-TV4, BD-60 BluRay, Cisco DVR, Harmony 670
Speakers: Polk Audio Series II and Polk Subwoofer.
Glad you got it sorted bud Smile
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
With a HDMI only connection - Stereo only0