• 28(current)
Library Auto Updater - Version 1.1.0
@espr3ss0

Which add-on are you referring to? Give the exact name.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Library Auto Updater.
@espr3ss0

I have merged your thread in the correct location. You will need to wait for the addon developer to respond.

I will remove the this and the previous two posts in a few hours, leaving only your original question here.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I've just submitted an update to this addon for Krypton+ versions of Kodi. It includes a check for cron syntax. I'm hoping this helps the majority of users with issues.
This addon works perfectly at auto updating my library on schedule however I can't get it to update manually. If I select manual update a pop-up tells me when it will run next and askes if I want to run it manually. I select "yes' and ... nothing happens.
I have an odd issue occurring when running this add-on.
My player (Kodi 18.1 on Odroid C2 with EstuaryMOD skin) uses a video database running on my home server. I am using MySQL from Homebrew running on Mac OS 10.14.3.

Updating database manually from Kodi UI works OK.
Automated updates, however, appear to issue a weird SQL Query once they are finished (selecting movies that have views = 0 or views <1). This query, for what it's worth (believe me or not) crashes MySQL. 

Now at first, I thought it's the skin who is the culprit, as I have a big set of "Unseen movies" displayed on my default Kodi screen. However, if this was the case, a manual update would trigger the same query, resulting in the same MySQL crash. That does not happen on manual database updates, though.

Turns out it happens ONLY if Library Auto Update is turned on and has just finished the job. The MySQL crashes are annoying enough for me to disable library auto update but I highly admire this add-on and find it extremely usable, so perhaps there is a room for improvement here?
Wojtek
(2019-02-11, 11:56)Sponky Wrote: This addon works perfectly at auto updating my library on schedule however I can't get it to update manually. If I select manual update a pop-up tells me when it will run next and askes if I want to run it manually. I select "yes' and ... nothing happens.

As luck would have it I tried this same thing the other day and had the same issue. Not sure why this would stop working but it is annoying. I have an issue open to take a look: https://github.com/robweber/xbmclibrarya.../issues/47
(2019-03-04, 22:07)Wojtek Wrote: I have an odd issue occurring when running this add-on.
My player (Kodi 18.1 on Odroid C2 with EstuaryMOD skin) uses a video database running on my home server. I am using MySQL from Homebrew running on Mac OS 10.14.3.

Updating database manually from Kodi UI works OK.
Automated updates, however, appear to issue a weird SQL Query once they are finished (selecting movies that have views = 0 or views <1). This query, for what it's worth (believe me or not) crashes MySQL. 

Now at first, I thought it's the skin who is the culprit, as I have a big set of "Unseen movies" displayed on my default Kodi screen. However, if this was the case, a manual update would trigger the same query, resulting in the same MySQL crash. That does not happen on manual database updates, though.

Turns out it happens ONLY if Library Auto Update is turned on and has just finished the job. The MySQL crashes are annoying enough for me to disable library auto update but I highly admire this add-on and find it extremely usable, so perhaps there is a room for improvement here?

There is always room for improvement, although in this case I'm not sure what we can do. Please look at the following links to the source for this addon. They highlight specific sections of the code that have to do with when the scan process is initiated, and a callback for when the process completes. As you can see there aren't any SQL queries happening outside of initiating the library scan process and then checking if the library should also be cleaned right after. It is possible that there is a different addon triggered on a library update causing the issue.

https://github.com/robweber/xbmclibrarya...ce.py#L102
https://github.com/robweber/xbmclibrarya...ce.py#L325
If I scan in a movie folder and choose the option to not scan by default when setting it up, will this addon scan that folder when it runs (say I set to run daily @midnight)? I have a few movie folders and rather them not scan every time my tv shows update and scans because some of the movie library is so large and takes so long. I am hoping I can use this to scan those particular folders at midnight or something. Will this work on those folders?
Kodi v20.1 with goodies from the PSMC Collection / Using on PC's, Nvidea Shields, and other Android TV Boxes
@robweber

first and foremost, I thank you for your work on this add-on and for your attention to this community. I have learned a lot just from reading your responses in this thread. As I am a new user of this add-on I just finished reading this entire thread from beginning to end and then spent some time reading from the cron-wiki and some of the material referenced their in. As is often the case with me all this reading, while informative, leaves me with more ?'s.

1.) Is the cron implementation used by your add-on's, "Both this, and the one you made for scheduling cron jobs" baked into kodi's core,or is it a stripped down version included in your add-ons?
The reason I ask is I'm wondering about the possibility of additional features potentially provided by different cron implementations, and whether or not you might have the interest, and, or the ability to implement a more feature full version of cron.

What got me on this line of ?'s is the material referenced HERE: about the use of the "H" flag in cron commands. "Below is the Snippet from the above referenced link that I am referring to:
Quote:<p>
To allow periodically scheduled tasks to produce even load on the system,
the symbol <code>H</code> (for “hash”) should be used wherever possible.
For example, using <code>0 0 * * *</code> for a dozen daily jobs
will cause a large spike at midnight.
In contrast, using <code>H H * * *</code> would still execute each job once a day,
but not all at the same time, better using limited resources.
</p><p>
The <code>H</code> symbol can be used with a range. For example, <code>H H(0-7) * * *</code>
means some time between 12:00 AM (midnight) to 7:59 AM.
You can also use step intervals with <code>H</code>, with or without ranges.
</p><p>
The <code>H</code> symbol can be thought of as a random value over a range,
but it actually is a hash of the job name, not a random function, so that
the value remains stable for any given project.
</p>

My understanding of the above is that the "H" flag allows the cron daemon to determine the best time to run your desired jobs within the parameters you give it and thus it is a good thing for peep's with low-end devices that might be firing off multiple cron jobs around the same time period because it should, in theory reduce thrashing scenarios on said devices. In addition to the "H" flag, I also find the "?" flag, "also referenced in the above link", to be interesting

For my current use case, "which involves my router rebooting every-day at either 6:00AM or 7:00AM depending upon the current DST" I would want to run:
Quote:H(15-45) */2 * * *

Thus giving me, "I Think"
a job running every 2 hours starting sometime between 12:15AM & 12:45AM
If my understanding is correct this would give the cron daemon a 30 minute window in which to determine the best time to run the job and do so. Then 2 hours later do it again, Etc., Etc....

All that aside, What Syntax should I use for the current release of your add-on to achieve an update that would run every 2 hours but at 15min past the hour in other words at 12:15AM, 2:15AM, 4:15AM, 6:15AM, 8:15AM, 10:15AM, 12:15PM, 2:15PM, 4:15PM, 6:15PM, 8:15PM, 10:15PM, 12:15AM, Etc., Etc....

Will the following work for what I need , or is the "/" flag still not supported, via the current implementation? I thought I read something about the "/" not being supported in the cron implementation used in a previous post.
Quote:15 */2 * * *

Currently I am running your add-on with 1 custom path set as:
[{"path": "special://profile/addon_data/plugin.video.Whatever/TVShows/", "expression": "15 */2 * * *"}] as copied from the "custom_paths.json" file

Functionally wise, the above runs as expected, However I do have an issue with how Notifications are shown for custom paths.

Issue:
When the Notif for the custom path appears on-screen to show the expected run time of the next update for the custom path.

First the Notification pops up and starts showing the full custom path scanning from right to left, but before the full path is shown "actually about only half of the path is shown" the Notif disappears from the screen. Leaving me with 0 info for when the next time the custom path update should run, or what custom path it is to run on
"Which to my understanding is the purpose of the Notification in the first place"

Suggestions in 4 parts to make Notifications better for custom paths, from my favorite to least "With You having the option to use any, all, or, none of-course"

1.)
A combination of options 2.) and 3.) "Below"

2.)
Use the Kodi sources.xml Alias for the custom path , instead of the full path in the Notification thus allowing the user to view all pertinent info more effectively

For example in the snippet below TVShows_Whatever is the Alias given to my custom path in the Kodi sources.xml
Quote: <video>
<source>
<name>TVShows_Whatever</name>
<path pathversion="1">special://profile/addon_data/plugin.video.Whatever/TVShows/</path>
<allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
</source>
</video>

3.)
Show the Update time Info before The Path Info
For Example
X-hours, X-minutes, X days until next update for TVShows_Whatever

4.)
Make the Notification stay on screen a little longer
For Example
Maybe 5, 8, or, 10 Seconds instead of its current, "3 seconds or less in My experience so-far"

My only hope is to help in the betterment of an already awesome add-on.
Also, "if your interested"? I have a couple of other semi related Ideas, "spawned by reading this thread in its entirety", and based on the usage cases of not only myself, but also of yours , and several others that have posted on this thread
(2019-06-28, 11:44)phatboyj Wrote: [{"path": "special://profile/addon_data/plugin.video.exodus/TVShows/", "expression": "15 */2 * * *"}] as copied from the "custom_paths.json" file

Any reference to add-ons that facilitate video piracy is forbidden on this forum as per forum rules (wiki).

Thank You, @Klojum

I am aware of the rules and the above was an honest mistake.
I have since edited the conflicting portion of my original post, and would greatly appreciate it if you would delete/edit the conflicting from your post as well. So as to not take away from the good intentions of my original post.
(2019-06-28, 13:29)phatboyj Wrote: I am aware of the rules and the above was an honest mistake.

All okay, no harm done Smile
Hi, long-time user of this addon.
However, since a couple of months I notice the clean-command no longer seems to work.
Anyone else?
(2019-06-28, 11:44)phatboyj Wrote: 1.) Is the cron implementation used by your add-on's, "Both this, and the one you made for scheduling cron jobs" baked into kodi's core,or is it a stripped down version included in your add-ons?
The reason I ask is I'm wondering about the possibility of additional features potentially provided by different cron implementations, and whether or not you might have the interest, and, or the ability to implement a more feature full version of cron.

What got me on this line of ?'s is the material referenced HERE: about the use of the "H" flag in cron commands. "Below is the Snippet from the above referenced link that I am referring to:
Quote:<p>
To allow periodically scheduled tasks to produce even load on the system,
the symbol <code>H</code> (for “hash”) should be used wherever possible.
For example, using <code>0 0 * * *</code> for a dozen daily jobs
will cause a large spike at midnight.
In contrast, using <code>H H * * *</code> would still execute each job once a day,
but not all at the same time, better using limited resources.
</p><p>
The <code>H</code> symbol can be used with a range. For example, <code>H H(0-7) * * *</code>
means some time between 12:00 AM (midnight) to 7:59 AM.
You can also use step intervals with <code>H</code>, with or without ranges.
</p><p>
The <code>H</code> symbol can be thought of as a random value over a range,
but it actually is a hash of the job name, not a random function, so that
the value remains stable for any given project.
</p>

My understanding of the above is that the "H" flag allows the cron daemon to determine the best time to run your desired jobs within the parameters you give it and thus it is a good thing for peep's with low-end devices that might be firing off multiple cron jobs around the same time period because it should, in theory reduce thrashing scenarios on said devices. In addition to the "H" flag, I also find the "?" flag, "also referenced in the above link", to be interesting

For my current use case, "which involves my router rebooting every-day at either 6:00AM or 7:00AM depending upon the current DST" I would want to run:
Quote:H(15-45) */2 * * *

Thus giving me, "I Think"
a job running every 2 hours starting sometime between 12:15AM & 12:45AM
If my understanding is correct this would give the cron daemon a 30 minute window in which to determine the best time to run the job and do so. Then 2 hours later do it again, Etc., Etc....

All that aside, What Syntax should I use for the current release of your add-on to achieve an update that would run every 2 hours but at 15min past the hour in other words at 12:15AM, 2:15AM, 4:15AM, 6:15AM, 8:15AM, 10:15AM, 12:15PM, 2:15PM, 4:15PM, 6:15PM, 8:15PM, 10:15PM, 12:15AM, Etc., Etc....

Will the following work for what I need , or is the "/" flag still not supported, via the current implementation? I thought I read something about the "/" not being supported in the cron implementation used in a previous post.
Quote:15 */2 * * *

Currently I am running your add-on with 1 custom path set as:
[{"path": "special://profile/addon_data/plugin.video.Whatever/TVShows/", "expression": "15 */2 * * *"}] as copied from the "custom_paths.json" file

Functionally wise, the above runs as expected, However I do have an issue with how Notifications are shown for custom paths.

Issue:
When the Notif for the custom path appears on-screen to show the expected run time of the next update for the custom path.

First the Notification pops up and starts showing the full custom path scanning from right to left, but before the full path is shown "actually about only half of the path is shown" the Notif disappears from the screen. Leaving me with 0 info for when the next time the custom path update should run, or what custom path it is to run on
"Which to my understanding is the purpose of the Notification in the first place"

Suggestions in 4 parts to make Notifications better for custom paths, from my favorite to least "With You having the option to use any, all, or, none of-course"

1.)
A combination of options 2.) and 3.) "Below"

2.)
Use the Kodi sources.xml Alias for the custom path , instead of the full path in the Notification thus allowing the user to view all pertinent info more effectively

For example in the snippet below TVShows_Whatever is the Alias given to my custom path in the Kodi sources.xml
Quote:<video>
<source>
<name>TVShows_Whatever</name>
<path pathversion="1">special://profile/addon_data/plugin.video.Whatever/TVShows/</path>
<allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
</source>
</video>

3.)
Show the Update time Info before The Path Info
For Example
X-hours, X-minutes, X days until next update for TVShows_Whatever

4.)
Make the Notification stay on screen a little longer
For Example
Maybe 5, 8, or, 10 Seconds instead of its current, "3 seconds or less in My experience so-far"

My only hope is to help in the betterment of an already awesome add-on.
Also, "if your interested"? I have a couple of other semi related Ideas, "spawned by reading this thread in its entirety", and based on the usage cases of not only myself, but also of yours , and several others that have posted on this thread 

Sorry for the delay in replying to this. I appreciate the effort you went in to reading the thread beforehand. Not a light endeavor based on the time this addon has been around I'm sure! I'll try to tackle your questions but if I miss one please let me know. 

The cron implementation I'm using is not built in to Kodi, but rather a python implementation called "croniter". I've been using the same version since 2012 (hey it works) but it wouldn't surprise me if there have been updates to the library since then. The H function you mention may be specific to the Jenkins implementation, I'm not sure I've seen that in other cron type syntaxes before. 

Your syntax regarding the "15 */2 * * *" is indeed supported. In the README file on Github I do have a few examples. 

I definitely understand your issue regarding the display of custom paths. I've cut/pasted your comments into a GitHub issue. I'll review the options you presented and see what I can come up with. 

If you have other suggestions please let me know. Do so here or making an enhancement request on Github. I appreciate any input that could help make the addon better.
(2019-07-08, 20:20)Smultie Wrote: Hi, long-time user of this addon.
However, since a couple of months I notice the clean-command no longer seems to work.
Anyone else?

Do you have any other information on this? Mine "works" in that it does trigger the clean processes. Sometimes though if my NAS drives have spun down I get errors about the path being unavailable. That's not the addon's fault though. In the past I remember Kodi used to run the clean anyway and wipe the library out when something was offline so an error is definitely better.
  • 28(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Library Auto Updater - Version 1.1.00