Several Issues with Local Video Database
When it comes to testing XBMC, i really should get more involved because with the size of my library, i am a perfect candidate to find bugs and oddities.

I currently have ~3500 Movies and ~670 TV Shows with ~27000 Episodes.
I also have a Music collection of ~72000 MP3s

I HATE having to rescan my libraries. The Movies usually take a few hours, the TV shows a couple of days and last time i tried to scan my music library, i had to cancel it after 1 week of scanning.

I have been having several issues since moving to nightly builds a few months back and it is still happening with Eden Beta 1.

Problem #1

The main problem i have is that a full library scan will NEVER finish. If i do a full library scan where it looks for new movies, then new tv shows/episodes and then does a cleanup, the videoscanner will hang when it finishes scanning.

If i cancel the scan in the middle, it will stop scanning. If i try to cancel the scan when it has finished scanning but it has now stalled, XBMC will freeze.

If i try playing a video in the middle of the scan, all is well. If i try playing a video when the scanner has stalled, the video will not play... sometimes i will get just audio and sometimes XBMC will freeze.

Doing a library update on just a single TV Show works fine.

Doing a library update on just TV Shows works (Bring up context menu on the TV Shows source and scanning for new content)

Doing a library update on just Movies works (Bring up context menu on the Movies source and scanning for new content)

Doing a full library update is where it stalls. I had to disable scan on startup because of this...

Once it has stalled, if i call for a library update on a single show, it ends the stalled one, scans the show and ends normally!

Problem #2

This just happened a few minutes ago and that's what prompted me to come and finally find the time to post (gotta wake up at 5am and it's now 1:45am but hopefully it helps narrow down the bugs)

After adding a few new TV Shows and scanning just that part, my new shows weren't added. Usually when that happens (often) i just go to Set Content, check the Run Automated Scan and click ok. XBMC then asks if i want to refresh everything and i say no. It will then find my new shows.

This time, it didn't work. 1st off, Set Content now says Change Content so i went there and did as usual but this time, after choosing ok, XBMC just started scanning. I saw it was scanning and adding things i already had but i let it go through and after about an hour, a lot of my shows are completely fubar!

Example: I go to the show Alphas and inside i have episodes of Alphas and episodes of National Geographic 100 Years.

Inside Amazing Eats, i have the 2 episodes plus all episodes of Necessary Roughness.

Inside American Horror Story, i have all episodes plus all of Sanctuary...

Etc...

When going to file mode, everything is fine.

I have now taken the opportunity to start from scratch by scanning my library to MySQL... Once it is done, i will try the full scans again and see if somehow it has to do with the local database, the conversion of the database from Dharma to Eden, or something else entirely...

Since my database is already messed up, i dunno if a debug log will do any good... What should i do? Wait a couple of days for my MySQL to be up and start testing from there?

-Pr.
[4 Kodi Clients + 4 Norco RPC-4224 Media Servers w/376 TB HDD Space]
I think the use of mysql is a better idea, and setting it up on another PC (server), would be even better.
Do you have just 1 Source for each type set up? If so, you could also try to split up your Movies etc. into several sources, then you can scan them seperately. Through the Database they get merged anyway, so you wouldn't notice it in normal operation.
MrLobster Wrote:I think the use of mysql is a better idea, and setting it up on another PC (server), would be even better.

That's what i am doing now... Should be done by end of day tomorrow...
Do you have time to actually watch 3500 movies and 27000 TV episodes? Last year I watched 24...this year I'm hoping to finish Lost. I found this neat key on my keyboard that I had overlooked ...it's called "Del".
Mythbuntu doesn't need viruses - we have Sudo
Dobyken Wrote:Do you have time to actually watch 3500 movies and 27000 TV episodes? Last year I watched 24...this year I'm hoping to finish Lost. I found this neat key on my keyboard that I had overlooked ...it's called "Del".

I was fortunate enough to marry a woman who LOVES watching movies and TV Dramas... When we are off work, we can watch a whole season of a show over a weekend... It's really nice to have the variety of movies and TV shows so when we do watch something, it's always something we're in the mood for...

I obviously know there are things i may never watch but i keep whatever i have watched. I have seen Pulp Fiction from begining to end probably 10 times and Le Diner de cons even more...

I also love "collecting"... It's just that my collection is digital files...

Big Grin
Pr.Sinister Wrote:I was fortunate enough to marry a woman who LOVES watching movies and TV Dramas... When we are off work, we can watch a whole season of a show over a weekend... It's really nice to have the variety of movies and TV shows so when we do watch something, it's always something we're in the mood for...

I obviously know there are things i may never watch but i keep whatever i have watched. I have seen Pulp Fiction from begining to end probably 10 times and Le Diner de cons even more...

Big Grin
Agreed. I "collect" a lot of cartoons and tv shows from my childhood (Home Improvement, The Real Ghostbusters, Family Matters, and Ducktales). I have a 4TB setup (Video only, 500GB for Music) and am awaiting another 2TB drive in addition. It takes me about 9-11 months to fill a 2TB. I say that in that time I will make enough money to buy another (or bigger) drive. I would say that, unless it is something I'm trying, I don't really want to delete my shows.
Pr.Sinister Wrote:I was fortunate enough to marry a woman who LOVES watching movies and TV Dramas... When we are off work, we can watch a whole season of a show over a weekend... It's really nice to have the variety of movies and TV shows so when we do watch something, it's always something we're in the mood for...

Big Grin

Living in Florida we have things to do besides dog sledding in the winter. I did, however, live in Rochester NY for 25 years so I know what cold dark winters are like. Anyway... Have you tried using Ember or Media Center Master for scraping? Having local data takes a big load off of the internal scanner plus you can tweak the data before it goes into XBMC.
Mythbuntu doesn't need viruses - we have Sudo
Dobyken Wrote:Living in Florida we have things to do besides dog sledding in the winter. I did, however, live in Rochester NY for 25 years so I know what cold dark winters are like. Anyway... Have you tried using Ember or Media Center Master for scraping? Having local data takes a big load off of the internal scanner plus you can tweak the data before it goes into XBMC.

Ya all the data is locally downloaded with Ember and Sickbeard... It still takes a while to import the nfos but much faster than internet lookups...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Several Issues with Local Video Database0