Newbee questions
To view XBMC via your samsung in those two folders you spoke of turn on upnp here.

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/8165/84143550.png

If you are thinking of a small player i am very happy with my 2nd Gen Apple TV's these run xbmc use only 6 watts and have no moving parts and so are silent, there only drawback is no storage but since you have the pc for storage should not be a problem
Solar Powered Server Xubuntu 13.04 Sickbeard+Sabnzbd+Couchpotato+Headphones+mysql running @ 20 watts
Home Clients ATV2, Ouya, Xubuntu and Windows 8 all 13.2
Moblie Clients SGS5 SG Note II and SG Tab S all 13.2
Dark Knight RT-AC66U merlins build

dizzyikea Wrote:To view XBMC via your samsung in those two folders you spoke of turn on upnp here.

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/8165/84143550.png

If you are thinking of a small player i am very happy with my 2nd Gen Apple TV's these run xbmc use only 6 watts and have no moving parts and so are silent, there only drawback is no storage but since you have the pc for storage should not be a problem

Well Thanks for that tip. I don't think that will help me tho, as I mostly use Live programming, I don't store or have any video files on my computer.
no movies, no recorded shows, nothing stored, on my harddrive. Only recording I do have stored is done right now by my Directv dvr. which is also connected to my home network. The main thing I want to do is, watch live programming feeds off the internet to my samsung tv. My goal would be to watch everything I get off my directv receiver to my samsung TV and, would also like to have my Vizio 42" tv in bedroom have the same ability.

Its just an idea right now, not sure how if I can pull it off. and if I did manage to store a movie or a tv series on to a harddrive, it would only be temporary, and deleted after I watched.
I know nothing about these apple tv's you talk about....guess I'll have to research them today. Don't think its what I am looking for...but I'll look at them today.
Take Care,
Mike...
A dreambox would do that but now you are talking expensive Vu+ also do a cheaper copy but i'm not sure how legal either of them are your side of the pond.
Solar Powered Server Xubuntu 13.04 Sickbeard+Sabnzbd+Couchpotato+Headphones+mysql running @ 20 watts

dizzyikea Wrote:A dreambox would do that but now you are talking expensive Vu+ also do a cheaper copy but i'm not sure how legal either of them are your side of the pond.

Don't know what a dreambox is.....have been looking at reviews for the apple box....seems lots of people don't care for its abilites. 720 is best it can deliever to an hd tv....wow....thats poor. So still thinking along the lines of setting up maybee an htpc mini sysyem, using something like XBMC.
Also looking at used ps3's.....like I said, I am in reseaching mode at this point in time. but, not really impressed with apple. I want 1080p with all the goodies that go with HD viewing. I don't care about 3d at all. But want everything else that goes with HD viewing. Soooo XBMC still has my interest....alot. Mike...
Mike62 Wrote:Only recording I do have stored is done right now by my Directv dvr. which is also connected to my home network. The main thing I want to do is, watch live programming feeds off the internet to my samsung tv. My goal would be to watch everything I get off my directv receiver to my samsung TV and, would also like to have my Vizio 42" tv in bedroom have the same ability.
Take Care,
Mike...
I have Directv HDVR too. Cyberlink Direct2pc is not the easiest program to run on just any HTPC's. I doubt that AppleTV is capable of playback Directv2pc. Your best choice might be a mini-pc (nettop)! Smile
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:I have Directv HDVR too. Cyberlink Direct2pc is not the easiest program to run on just any HTPC's. I doubt that AppleTV is capable of playback Directv2pc. Your best choice might be a mini-pc (nettop)! Smile

Yup, and if you read up a little at my earlier post, was telling you that. (grin)
I was trying to tell you.....that after talking with you these past few days, that I agree with YOU.....and appericate your help to meeeee.

kinda like the idea of the mini htpc....don't care much for apple...never did.
soory....don't want to offend anyone. Also don't like anything made by Dell or gateway....sorry...its just me, and stuff I like...and don't like.

But....I will still be picking your brain....lol
Mike...
Not a big fan of apple either but what does it matter once you have XBMC on it?
1080P is another downfall thou aswell as no storage.

The dreambox of Vu+ i was taking about replaces your directtv box and everything it records can be watched on almost any networked device xbmc has built in support by way of tuxbox. Also you can then watch live tv from any device also.

We (or i) am getting further and further away from the original question but mythtv may provide a little more reading matterial for you it also has built in xbmc support and the 3rd party mythbox addon is very good.

Mike62 Wrote:kinda like the idea of the mini htpc....don't care much for apple...never did. Mike...
The only apple I have is what in my ref and back yard. People like different thing, and I doubt that we offended anyone in here.
dizzyikea Wrote:The dreambox of Vu+ i was taking about replaces your directtv box and everything it records can be watched on almost any networked device xbmc has built in support by way of tuxbox. Also you can then watch live tv from any device also.
I never heard of Vu+. I doubt that Directv allow any DVR other than what they listed on their website.
They don't allow it but that does not stop you

dizzyikea Wrote:They don't allow it but that does not stop you
If you know Directv, they are very well protected. It's hard to make any box work with it. If you can make it work with Vu+, please let us know!
Considering what is on the xbmc web front page at the momment i think the least said the better google is your friend

some phrases

Vu+
Dreambox
VIX firmware

If you want something very small (tiny) to place next to your Sony to enjoy XBMC, here are two great choices and it's ready for XBMC out of the box- Asus EeeBox PC EB1021 AMD Dual-Core E-450 or IdeaCentre Q180. Lenovo is the best choice![/quote]

Ok, been thinking about all the things you been sugestioning...to me these last few days. If I was to buy the Lenove with the Intel Atom 2.13 ghz processor....is that processor fast enough for HD programs?? seems like I've read in here that they say we need like a Intel 5 to display HD content to our TV's.....I like the Lenovo that you told me about....just wondering if I would have any problems watching HD programming off the internet with it. Huh
What do ya think??
Mike....
Mike62 Wrote:Ok, been thinking about all the things you been sugestioning...to me these last few days. If I was to buy the Lenove with the Intel Atom 2.13 ghz processor....is that processor fast enough for HD programs?? seems like I've read in here that they say we need like a Intel 5 to display HD content to our TV's.....I like the Lenovo that you told me about....just wondering if I would have any problems watching HD programming off the internet with it. Huh
What do ya think??
Mike....

I have an ASRock E350M1/USB3 running XBMC and TMT5, playing HD content that's stored on my WHS, and it works just fine. I have absolutely no problems playing back any content. I also have XBMC running on an D510MO (with the Crystal HD Video decoder), also getting HD content from my WHS, and it works like a charm.

So, you definitely don't need an i3/5/7 to play HD content.
Mike62 Wrote:Ok, been thinking about all the things you been sugestioning...to me these last few days. If I was to buy the Lenove with the Intel Atom 2.13 ghz processor....is that processor fast enough for HD programs??
What do ya think??
Mike....
For playback audio/video HD content, it's heavily relying on GPU. If you are familiar with AMD HD6450 graphic card, you know that it can playback blu-ray at the highest 1080P video with DTS-HD/TrueHD audio and 3D too. Here is the complete spec on AMD HD6450A- AMD Radeon™ HD 6450A Graphics for Desktop PCs.

And you will never find another nettop with this powerful GPU in it! Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbee questions0