Which remote sets with internal ir receiver would you choose?
Im looking for the best internal ir remote receiver. These are remote with internal ir that i found.

1. hd-plex
pro
1. support mce standard(not sure full spec or not)
2. 4 profiles in 1 remote
3. remote is manufactured by philips
con
1. power switch pcb(built specifically for hdplex cases) is required if you want to power on/off htpc from remote. or you can rewire/solder manually to get this feature. the pcb can be had for free by asking the hdplex owner when purchasing the remote.
2. since the pcb is the same with wesena, im guessing this send keyboard command instead of ehome cmd, have linux problem and trouble configuring with harmony.

2. Wesena
ImageImage
pro
1. remote is manufactured by philips
con
1. provided remote is missing some button
2. ir receiver is not 100% compatible with mce dont know if this works on linux
3. since the pcb is the same with hdplex, im guessing this send keyboard command instead of ehome cmd, have linux problem and trouble configuring with harmony.

3. karma digital
ImageImage
ir receiver is manufactured by philips(ovu4130). same receiver ir221 by origenae(but origenae doesnt supply this receiver anymore)
pro
1. 100% mce compatible
2. remote is manufactured by philips
3. receiver is manufactured by philips
cons
1. ir receiver is windows vista mce and xp mce only. windows 7 is unsupported. havent heard any people with linux using this.

...continue
4. origen ae ir221
Can be use with rc197 Image
pro
1. 100% mce compatible
2.both ir and receiver are manufactured by philips
cons
1. ir receiver has the same problem as karma digital.ir receiver is windows vista mce and xp mce only. windows 7 is unsupported. havent heard any people with linux using this.

5. origen ae ir210
pro
1. full MCE compatibility(is this true?)
2. linux drivers available
3. learns any remote
4. switch PC on from off state
cons
1. ir trans solution(requires driver installation and configuration)

6. inteset cir
pro
1. 100% mce compatible
2. switch PC on from off state
3. i cant found any problem associated with this ir receiver except for rewiring required if using other than intel motherboard(not really a problem).
4. ir receiver has good ir angle and distance
cons
1. cir compatible motherboard is hard to find. intel, asrock and biostar have some motherboard support cir.
2. requires rewire if using motherboard other than intel
3. remote is possibly manufactured by mediagate

7. Inteset usb ir
pro
1. 100% mce compatible
2. can easily turn external ir receiver to internal ir receiver(requires some work though).
con
1. remote is possibly manufactured by mediagate
from what i understand, cir provide the best remote experience(full support power on from off).
from missing remote
Quote:It has been said before, but bears repeating because of how useful the included Consumer Infrared (CIR) header is, putting it on the short list of favorite motherboard features alongside user configurable power LED behavior when in standby. Because the feature is not enabled by default in BIOS, it will need to be enabled after installing a CIR. Then after the Nuvoton (Winbond) drivers are installed it acts as a fully functional Microsoft eHome RC6 IR receiver. This not only frees up a USB port and allows for a cleaner install because the receiver can be mounted inside the chassis, but also includes a feature not supported by the standard USB receivers - wake from off (S5) and hibernate (S4) in addition to standby (S3).

nevertheless, the biggest problem with cir is that, afaik only 3 motherboard manufacturer support cir. even that, not all motherboard from those 3 manufacturer support cir.

another problem with cir is that, cir connector varies form different manufacturer forcing user to manually rewire the connector. eg. inteset cir support intel motherboard. in order to use inteset cir in asrock or biostar, one has to manually modify the connector.

other than inteset, asrock and biostar also have cir remote. asrock provide external ir receiver. not sure about biostar.

1. asrock smart remote
2. biostar bioremoteImage

other thing about ir receiver is, in order to use harmony remote, ir blaster is required. i dont know which of these ir receivers support ir blasting.

what do you guys think is the best remote? hd plex seems to fix the power on from off by custom wiring. hd plex pcb looks similar to wesena. does hd plex fully compatible with mce? cir solution have limited motherboard support and rewiring is required.

this info is what i found and understand. i dont have any of these remotes. the information provided here might be incorrect or incomplete. feel free to add more useful information.
other ir/remotes system worth mentioning is

1. usb cec
although not internal, the device doesnt have to be in line of sight.
pro
cons
1. compatibility problem. i have panasonic tv and heard people with panasonic tv have problems.
2. a lot of functionality provided by microsoft mce remote are absent

flirc
pro
1. can be use with any remotes
2. works in linux and windows
cons
1. function as a keyboard, not mce remote
no one?
i guess #7. Inteset’s INT-106 Media Center Infrared Remote Control
updated my findings.
I'm trying to use this remote

http://www.ms-tech.de/eng/index.php/prod...6/pdid/168

but I'm going crazy Huh Huh

I tried also several distro like openelec, betas, but i'm not in lucky....
My last chance might be the Eden live....
I'm thinking of the internal inteset cir receiver on a asrock motherboard in combination with a harmony remote. Someone experience with this combo?
You can turn any external to internal if you are willing to take it out of the housing and hotglue it next to a hole or plexi panel on the front of your case...
Like hick said...
For internal IR on my new bedroom HTPC case I just bought a random MCE remote with USB dongle. Fitted a USB female socket onto the motherboard headers. Removed all the plastic from the dongle and secured it in front of a hole in the case and connected it to the USB socket. Worked a treat!
Dragonlance Wrote:I'm trying to use this remote

http://www.ms-tech.de/eng/index.php/prod...6/pdid/168

but I'm going crazy Huh Huh

I tried also several distro like openelec, betas, but i'm not in lucky....
My last chance might be the Eden live....

can you provide the model number of the remote and ir receiver. a picture of both item would also help.

most remote problem is cause by non standard ir receiver.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which remote sets with internal ir receiver would you choose?0