What's a good fast video converter?
Hey just wanted to get some insight on a fast video converter to get some of my movies to play on my xbmc atv1.
the fastest while giving good picture quality and small file sizes is handbrake.fr AFAIK (grab a nightly build and not the current stable). But fast depends on your source material, your compression settings and output size. Handbrake at least has a ATV profile that should give you compatible results.
Handbrake is very good, but "fast" is a relative term unless you have a very powerful CPU. Expect conversion times measured in hours not minutes.

JR
Handbrake is the best before i use handbreak i use Makemkv on my blurays to strip out anything i dont want to use in the final product works fantastic and brings the file size down a bit.
Handbreak will take hours but you will get a awesome file size to quality ratio its worth the wait
Handbrake is at least the fastest x264 encoder around - but as jhsrennie said - "fast" means here some hours. Like reencoding/shrinking a 1080p bluray can take up to 10 h (depending on your CPU, the source material and your settings).

Note: some converters claim they do GPU encoding/offloading, but according to the Handbrake and x264 devs this is not true. They also use just the CPU with crappy settings that'll speed things up and you'll also see in the result (that's what I've been told).
You could try VIDCODER it uses Handbrake's encoding engine but with a simpler UI in my opinion
http://vidcoder.codeplex.com
Optoma HD Projector, Panasonic TX-P65VT65 Plasma, Pioneer SC2023 AVR, Kef Q65 main, iQ8ds rear, XQ2C centre, XBOX 360 Elite, Samsung LE40C650, SKY HD, Lutron Lighting, Crestron AV2 control

(Server)CPU - AMD Phenom ii 560, MB - M4A78LT-M, 32GB Corsair SSD, 4GB Corsair DDR3, 6x 1.5TB HDD's

XBMC Clients x2 (DSPlayer)
I actually strongly recommend XVid4PSP version 5.

http://code.google.com/p/xvid4psp/downloads/list

The presets provided are quite extensive, and beyond that allow for tinkering to get things "just the way you like".

It supports x264 in all flavors (10bit, 8 bit encoding, 32bit, 64bit executable).

Finally, just one comment: Encoding from source material is a one time activity. Don't "cheap-out" on time. The more time is spent, the better the quality and likely compression for the given quality.

You'll be happy in repeated viewings, and you won't kick yourself (and have to re-rip) after XXXXXX time because you wish you had done a better encoding job....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What's a good fast video converter?0