XBMC sound output decoding only with 2 channels
Question 
Hi everyone!

I am building up my first htpc and have faced problem which I cant find a way to solve. It seems like XBMC can decode only 2 channel sound?!

Problem is this:
1. If XBMC set to NO DTS/DD capable receiver, DTS and DD are decoded by XBMC codec and outputed to optical out as 2 channel audio
2. If XBMC set to DTS/DD capable receiver then DTS/DD stream is outputed to optical in full (I assume its pass-thru) and my sound system plays it on 5.1 setup nicely. But I can not change volume on xbmc, eg it shows that bypass audio volume can not be controlled.

What I would like:
normally, to listen to 5.1 audio and use only one remote
ideally, same as above and audio really decoded on my htpc (I am thinking on long run, it is more likely that more audi codecs will be able on pc side, than updates will come out for my pioneer sound system)

Does anyone know, if this is bug or xbmc really can decode only to 2 channel audio.

I am doing these things first time so it is possible that I simply havent spotted some xbmc setting which changes output channels for decoding?
Sorry I forgot to add, I am using:
- windows 7
- xbmc 10.1 “Dharma”
It sounds like you're not using a Harmony or similar remote. In passthru mode, XBMC sends the DD/DTS stream unmodified to your receiver. That is why the volume is disabled. It is up to you to control the volume using the receiver. You need to use a universal remote.
paco Wrote:It sounds like you're not using a Harmony or similar remote. In passthru mode, XBMC sends the DD/DTS stream unmodified to your receiver. That is why the volume is disabled. It is up to you to control the volume using the receiver. You need to use a universal remote.

Thanks paco for confirming that! Do you know anything about other part - is it possible to do 5 channel decoding on on xbmc end? eg. without using passthru mode? Currently it creates only 2 channel
Make sure you have Windows configured for 5.1 sound and not 2 channel.

Control Panel\Sound\highlight playback device and then configure to 5.1
Also keep in mind that if it's decoded to PCM and you're using spdif, spdif is only capable of 2 channel PCM. HDMI is required for multichannel PCM.
sialivi Wrote:Also keep in mind that if it's decoded to PCM and you're using spdif, spdif is only capable of 2 channel PCM. HDMI is required for multichannel PCM.
Good call mate - missed the spdif comment.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC sound output decoding only with 2 channels0