ATV2 with subtitles enabled causes lag
Th3avatar Wrote:EDIT: Seems like top also shows the combines CPU, so CPU0 + CPU1 etc. But then it only shows about 110% at max while the iPad 2 should be able to handle up to 200% minus Springboard.

standard behavior from top under multiple cpus.
biGdada Wrote:what's the difference ?

The issue in this thread is specifically SSA/ASS subs, specifically on 4.4.x
4.4.4 on atv an 5.0.1 on iPad/iPad2 Not sure if this is the case for iphone.
I'm probably not adding anything new to the discussion, but I've seen this problem for a long time and assumed that what was happening was that when you watched an MP4 movie without subtitles, all the work got offloaded to the GPU, but when subtitles were involved, it now required that the subtitles be overlayed on top of the video, which then meant pushing everything through the CPU. But if other subtitle formats can be overlayed without causing any slowdown, that's actually a positive bit of news. I wonder if XBMC could do some sort of on-the-fly conversion to a simpler subtitle format, non-antialised font, or something along those lines.
Scott R Wrote:I'm probably not adding anything new to the discussion, but I've seen this problem for a long time and assumed that what was happening was that when you watched an MP4 movie without subtitles, all the work got offloaded to the GPU, but when subtitles were involved, it now required that the subtitles be overlayed on top of the video, which then meant pushing everything through the CPU. But if other subtitle formats can be overlayed without causing any slowdown, that's actually a positive bit of news. I wonder if XBMC could do some sort of on-the-fly conversion to a simpler subtitle format, non-antialised font, or something along those lines.

Then the whole point of having styled subs would be quite useless. I think it can be fixed, but people don't know where to start.
I can doubly confirm the change to .srt works very well, but there is very little formatting available. Even with 720p anime going, it works rock solid now.

Getting this far stretched my *cough* "programming" skills to the max, I really have no experience in something like actual coding though. There is a link to the code which does part of the .ass rendering a page or two back. Before getting to this point I also tried recompiling eden b2 with a newer .ass library and no change in performance.

For now .srt and I are friends, but if I get more material that needs better formatting...
Just for preparing you. We will consider embedded ASS Subtitles as a "known issue" for Eden. So don't expect a fix soon.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:Just for preparing you. We will consider embedded ASS Subtitles as a "known issue" for Eden. So don't expect a fix soon.

Alright, thanks!
Memphiz Wrote:Just for preparing you. We will consider embedded ASS Subtitles as a "known issue" for Eden. So don't expect a fix soon.

Fantastic, I'm glad it's been noted as it's a feature many of us enjoy using, although there is no rush for it. Once again thanks for the incredible work you guys are great. I'll keep my eyes on this thread Nod
Since my iPad2 crashed yesterday because I was replacing some libraries, I decided to downgrade it using tinyCFW etc. back to 4.3.3. I can confirm it does not lag or whatever on iOS 4.3.3. While the GUI and overal speed of springboard is somewhat slower, it seems it does not occupy the graphic buffer or w/e is used to accelerate it on iOS 5.

Remember people, do not ask people here how to downgrade. Google is your best friend. Also, ifo you do not have SHSH blobs of 4.3.3. or bought/received your iDevice with stock iOS > 4.3.3. you CANNOT downgrade.

Thank you.
Any updates on this issue ?

Thanks

U
no
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 with subtitles enabled causes lag0