Video Card for Linux? Nvidia - which one?
Hello everyone...

I'm currently running XBMC on Windows Home Server 2011 and HD playback is not really perfect...

So i built a separate Home Server 2011 box and want to reinstall the XBMC box using Linux and XBMC for Linux.

Hardware:
Intel G620 on Zotac H61 Board, 8GB RAM, 1 TB Disk drive
No graphics card yet. Case is the Lian Li Q07

So basically i want to use a Nvidia card because Intel driver support on linux is not relly perfect according to faq.

But which Nvidia should i buy? I can use all single slot cards. Most forum posts say that 210 and 220/ GT220 are too slow for some temporal / spatial deinterlacing. Some suggest GT240, some suggest GT430, others think that GT520 is even better because it supports VDPAU Featureset D, others think that GT520 is too slow for HD Deinterlacing again...

Which card should i buy to be sure that there are no playback lags and all features are usable? I think GT430 could be the one, but i'm not sure at all..

Thank you for your help!!!
camefromhell Wrote:Most forum posts say that 210 and 220/ GT220 are too slow for some temporal / spatial deinterlacing.

GT220 can do temporal/spatial even with hq scaling enabled.
P.Kosunen Wrote:GT220 can do temporal/spatial even with hq scaling enabled.
But with 576i signals I think. My personal experience says that with 1080i signals, vdpau spatial/temporal algorithm requires about 65% of GPU power of a GTS450.
If you are concerned about deinterlacing HD, the 430 is your answer. You may have luck with a 210 or 520, but you may not. You won't have those issues with a 430.
joethefox Wrote:But with 576i signals I think. My personal experience says that with 1080i signals, vdpau spatial/temporal algorithm requires about 65% of GPU power of a GTS450.

Also hd with 220, 210 can do only temporal with 1080i IIRC. Those older chips are faster in post processing stuff than newer fermi based cards.

GT220
GTX460

If buying new card, 430 should be safe choice (cooler than older ones, hd audio bitstreaming and 3d capable).
I can confirm that an EVGA GT430, http://www.evga.com/articles/00584/ , isn't capable to do Spatial/Temporal deintarlacing with 1080i videos: a lot of frame drops. It's fine with only temporal.
Smile 
I have the same question... I have a gt 210 in test from a friend and file MKV of 16gb works fine in full screen with the latest xbmc.

But looking and geforce web site, GT520 seems to be 8x faster than gt 210.

any suggestion?

I have only space for one slot so GT520 is low profile as gt 210

thanks for your info!!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Card for Linux? Nvidia - which one?0