• 18(current)
[ARCHIVED - WON'T UPDATE] XSqueeze - Squeezebox player for XBMC
I have the Shuttle too, so i guess our setup is completely the same. I wouldn't worry about it.

A nice feature would be if there was an option, to let the player always run in the background. I have the shuttle connected to my receiver. This way i wouldn't have to turn on my television to listen to music, toggling between Xsqueeze and other parts of xbmc would be faster. You could listen to music and check out the weather.

Just a little wish
@mortenls

Actually, there is an option for this, and it's in the wiki page - down the bottom, although not spelled out that much I guess - manual install of Squeezeslave - there is an add on available for OE that sets up Squeezeslave as a service (which is actually how I originally wrote this, but then changed it by request). Then you use XSqueeze in controller mode and you have what you want....

I don't want to get into supporting the service side of things myself directly, but it's actually very easy and work just as you want it to I think. I will add some more instructions about it some time I have some time.

General Update

My wife came through her surgery really well and while there's a long recovery period now, things are getting more back to normal finally.

I have thus begun exploratory work for the 'Chooser' part of XSqueeze. I was originally going to write this just as a window within XSqueeze but I think I will actually write it as a standard XBMC plugin now, which does all the list stuff for one - it will just get launched from XSqueeze when required and navigation will presumably be much like any other part of XBMC. Does this sound ok?

Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Glad to hear your wife is doing well!!!!

As far as the "Chooser". your idea sounds good, but how would you switch from the "Chooser" and back to Xsqueeze for the visual?
Basically:

XSqueeze -> Chooser = ?menu button perhaps?

Chooser will run, like any plugin, but send commands to LMS instead of XBMC. When you have triggered an album, say, you would then just use the standard exit button which drops you back a level...to XSqueeze.

Well, that's how I think it will work, anyway. I reckon I am about 2/3rds of the way to a proof of concept (need to do a lot of re-factoring so that two addons can share the same code, now in a separate module). Once I have a POC I will post it as a .zip here for testing if you're keen? Don't want to push out such a major change too quickly of course...

OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Update - the above approach (using a plugin) is working well - a few glitches to iron out, but I largely have choosing by New Music, Albums and Artists working. Once I have these basics fairly solid (so genres and years as well) I will release a test version here as a zip for feedback...but honestly I can't see why I'd do it any other way now, this works well and is surprisingly speedy even with 1500+ albums etc.

I have currently bound the launch to 'i' (or info on your remote) - for some reason menu commands don't seem to come through to addons....

(and then I have to work out how to do other things like Radio, random etc).

Ok here is a new test version with a music chooser.

To install:
Unzip -> you will get three add on folders.
Put these in your user addon folder (will overwrite your current XSqueeze, you might want to back this up first, just in case...)

Run XSqueeze (no changes there really)
Hit 'i' or 'info' on your remote and you should get a chooser window

...it should be obvious from there.

Would love to get feedback / problem reports before I finish/push this out. Currently not working - years, radio and plugins. But new music, albums, random etc. all working.

Note that speed is pretty dependent on your network & LMS server speed - I notice testing this on my laptop that wireless is significantly slower than ethernet (no surprise really).

(note I have only tried on two Windows systems so far)
(and if you do find a problem - debug log on pastebin please!!)

You are my new hero!!!!

Couple of issues/requests....

Issue:
I am testing this on my work laptop .... Ubuntu 12.04/XBMC-12.00ALPHA1 (April build). Using the Aeon Nox skin... .everything works as planned.
Using Confluence, Chooser opens but when you press 'ESC' it goes back to main XBMC screen, not to XSqueeze. I cannot then go back into Xsqueeze (so no now playing screen), but I can go into the Xsqueeze Chooser add-on and continue selecting music. It then looks like my only way back into XSqueeze is to exit XBMC.... and sometimes I then need to manually kill squeezeslave. Here is a log: http://pastebin.com/Guu6imVg

Request:

Is there a way that you can set the album selection (when selecting by artist) to be thumbnail view. When I select by artist, the artist list is in "list" mode, which would be the most efficient for my 27,000+ library (over 400 artists). After selecting the artist, the list of albums is also in "list" mode.... which works but looks boring. I can change the view mode to "thumbnail", but it will only affect the selection under that artist.... the next one I choose will show as "list" again. I could theoretically go through each artist and set the view, but with 400+ artists it would take forever. Any way to make the default "Thumbnail"?
How does XSqueeze (main) look on Aeon Nox BTW? I only use Confluence because I test so many things it just keeps like simpler..but also because my ION machines aren't that quick with the heavy skins. I am building a silent A6-3500 machine I think, that should be a lot faster...

Ok, I am confused by your bug though - no idea initially, it works fine with Confluence in the April nightly here (windows), so I think maybe you're remote is sending different codes or something. The Chooser bit, being a standard plugin, does not actually have any remote code handling in it - it just does the default behaviour - so 'back' (= ACTION_NAV_BACK) should go up a level (unless you are at the root, in which case it is 'exit' - and 'exit' (= ACTION_PREVIOUS_MENU) - should exit the plugin and fall back to whatever is underneath - i.e. XSqueeze. Can you try the back button instead?...

It also works on Openelec (linux) for me. Have you done any remote hacking maybe? Have I?? Wink - I don't think anything I have done will do this, and mine is the expected behaviour. Really weird it works in Aeon for you

You ARE obviously starting the chooser from within XSqueeze right - technically it will start on it's own by clicking the program link, but it's definitely designed only to start from within XSqueeze, and thus fall back to XSqueeze when it exits. Given plugins don't expose the actions, I am not sure I can put any debugging in to work it out. Hopefully some other testers will chime in to give me a clue as to whether it's a general issue or not.

Re: your request - this is more of a skin thing and I don't think plugins can set the views or even provide suggestions - I will look inot it though. I think views are inherited if you haven't visited a folder previously (so those you went into when it was a list will be list, but if you now change say the albums view to thumbnails, and sub folder you have not yet visited should show in thumbnails too).

Also - I wouldn't mind adding art for artists to make that a lot more visually interesting - would need some really easy/fast way of doing this, as with say 400+ artists if the code to get the artist image URL is slow, that will be a problem. Hopefully someone has a cool API somewhere you can very simply call with an artist name and get back an image URL, but even that would be slow. I don't think LMS does anything with images for artists unfortunately, as that would easily be the quickest method...

Just a quick note... I was using the keyboard on the laptop to test.... so there is no remote there.... and I pressed 'Esc' to go back. Weird that it worked correct in other skin though. I will test more tomorrow.
Backspace = back, and esc = exit - but both should drop it right back to XSqueeze if you're in the root.

OK I have worked out the views thing so that it does lists as lists but when you get to albums it does it as pretty thumbnails by default.

I am going to clean up an release at this point I think, and then work on radios etc later as that looks a bit harder than I'd hoped...

Well, this morning I cannot get it to work correctly on any skin.... if I press 'ESC' it goes right to XBMC main menu. If I press "Backspace" it starts to work it's way backwards up the "Programs" tree, eventually getting back to XBMC main menu.

If nobody else sees this, then I will just chalk it up to an oddball configuration on this laptop.... again, this is the work laptop and only has XBMC on it so I can see the new features you add ... I will try later on my Ubuntu 12.04 at home to see if it is specific to that OS.

Thanks for getting the Thumbnail view working... should look good on the TV...

Well I will try on windows, openelec and hopefully Mac before launching but I still have some significant cleanup to do before it is public ready... And will try remember to try out with Nox as well.
OK, so I am having the same trouble with 12.04 at home... XBMC Eden Stable from the Ubuntu Repo's.... tried with Confluence and Transparency!.... both just go back the XBMC menu when you press 'ESC'.

Next Test, XBMCbuntu.....
OK, so XBMCbuntu was a failure also.... tried with confluence, T!, and Aeon Nox.
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ARCHIVED - WON'T UPDATE] XSqueeze - Squeezebox player for XBMC3