Video source get stuck when changing profile
Hello

I have a XBMC setup using two profiles, each profile using different video sources.

Sometimes when changing profile, the video sources (as listed under Videos -> Files in Confluence) don't change and still list those of the other profile.

It doesn't happen every time, and I haven't really been able to identify a pattern when it occures. Possibly when changing profile after the first profile has been active for a longer time. However, it does happen when switching in both directions ( from profile A -> B and profile B -> A ).

Earlier, the only way to fix the problem was to restart XBMC. However, I have noticed that entering the new Videos -> Library menu item in Eden beta 3 also fixes the problem.

I have seen this problem in all three beta versions of Eden.
Bumping this thread, since I would very much a developer to look into this.
It's clearly a bug in Eden, since I never experienced this problem with Dharma.

Are the video source settings cashed by any chance? If so, is the cache cleared when changing profile?
I can't replicate this.

I wonder if something is crashing when the profiles change. Can you enable debug logging and as soon as a profile switch change to load the sources immediately (i.e. without closing XBMC) grab the log and pop it on pastebin.

You can turn on logging without the annoying on screen display by creating an advancedsettings.xml containing:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <loglevel>1</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>

To create the advancedsettings.xml press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

notepad "%appdata%\xbmc\userdata\advancedsettings.xml"

and click OK, then answer Yes when Notepad prompts you to create a new file. Copy and paste the above XML then close Notepad and save the changes. To open the debug log press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

"%appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log"

(including the quotes). Click OK and the log should open in Notepad. Copy and paste the log into http://pastebin.com/ and post the link it gives you here.

JR
Thanks,
I was already using an advancedsettings.xml file in my setup, so it was quite easy to turn on the debug logging.

I managed to reproduce the error while logging. This is what I did:
  • Starting XBMC entering the Master profile
  • Waiting for several hours
  • Switching profile to "Profile 2"
    At timestamp 01:33 in the debug log, see the link below
  • On the main menu, entering Videos → Files
    The video sources of "Profile 2" were listed properly.
  • Switching back to the Master Profile
  • Entering Videos → Files
    The video sources of "Profile 2" were still listed.
  • On the main menu, entering Videos → Library → Files
    The video sources of the Master Profile were now listed properly.
  • Entering Videos → Files
    The video sources of the Master Profile were listed properly.

I did suffer from the common plugin script crashing when changing profiles in earlier betas of Eden ( http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/12479 ), but that problem was solved when the plugin was updated.

Thank you for looking into this.

/Cactus99

http://pastebin.com/xHV2YHwN
The problem is that for some (odd) reason it took > 1 second to load the video sources list originally, thus the listing is cached. We re-read that when activating the window, thus you get the old, stale listing.

Will check what needs to be done to ensure this does not occur in future.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Ok, pushed a fix to git master - it'll be fixed in the next Eden release.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

And I think I might now know the cause.

On the Master Profile, I'm mainly using external USB harddrives as video sources. These go down in power save mode if not being used for a while and then take a second (or two) longer to access. This is probably why it took so long to load the video source list.

The other profile is using a NAS with quicker response. XBMC itself is located on an SSD.

Thanks for your time!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video source get stuck when changing profile0