Beta update on ATV2
Can anyone help on how I update XBMC on my apple tv2?
Surprisingly I expected this to be in the FAQ post, but it's not. It is buried in the iOS specific FAQ but it's not labelled as the upgrade procedure specifically, just listed under "Software updates from Apple will crash XBMC" which isn't exactly intuitive.

In any case, SSH into your ATV2 and run the below commands

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
reboot
You can update XBMC through NitoTv. Go to NitoTv settings and update NitoTV. After that is complete go back into NitoTV and go the installed items lists, find XBMC and click install. It will install XBMC beta 3.
Will my XBMC settings and libraries remain if I update, or will I have to back it up?
They will still be there, the only time you would lose them is if you had to jailbreak the device again
Thanks Wendo Smile
Wendo Wrote:Surprisingly I expected this to be in the FAQ post, but it's not. It is buried in the iOS specific FAQ but it's not labelled as the upgrade procedure specifically, just listed under "Software updates from Apple will crash XBMC" which isn't exactly intuitive.

In any case, SSH into your ATV2 and run the below commands

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
reboot

It is also under how to install XBMC on ATV2: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...Apple_TV_2 Not the best place you're right, takes a little digging.
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
not to threadjack, but I also have a problem upgrading to the Beta. I have logged in and.. well.. here is my exact input and output

Apple-TV:~ root# ssh [email protected]
[email protected]'s password:
Apple-TV:~ root# apt-get update
E: Malformed line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awlwardtv.list (dist)
Apple-TV:~ root#

i think thats supposed to say "awkwardtv.list" not "awlwardtv.list"
how do i fix this?

Thanks
It's telling you the contents of that file aren't what they should be, or at the very least, apt can't make sense of them, you'd have to post the contents of that file so we could see whats wrong.

nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awlwardtv.list

will open the file so you can see it. From there I'd replace it's contents with what the install wiki entry says, which is this

deb http://apt.awkwardtv.org/ stable main

then save and exit and try again
to install nano
apt-get install nano
Wendo Wrote:Surprisingly I expected this to be in the FAQ post, but it's not. It is buried in the iOS specific FAQ but it's not labelled as the upgrade procedure specifically, just listed under "Software updates from Apple will crash XBMC" which isn't exactly intuitive.

Why would upgrading for the ATV2 be in the general FAQ? The iOS FAQ sure as heck isn't buried anywhere when there's a link on almost every single wiki page, as well as the main page, marked "iOS/ATV2 FAQ".

The iOS FAQ is actually the only complete FAQ on the wiki, and is the model for the other FAQs once they are finished. Since anyone can edit and help out, no one is allowed to bitch about it. The wiki and FAQs are made by the community.

The instructions are under the installation page. How do you update a new version of something? You install a new version over the old version. Just like every other platform that XBMC is on.

The mention under Apple Software updates is just to make sure Update-Be-Gone is updated, but the command will update all available software when the repo's have new versions of stuff (including XBMC). In any case, that's not meant to be the update instructions.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Beta update on ATV20