Setting up VRC1100 Remote (Eden Beta 3)
hi guys,

i've received my ortek vrc1100 remote and i'm confused as how to setup this remote. The good news is that most of its buttons already work in XBMC, but if i press "e", whilst in XBMC, its opening internet explorer in windows in the background.

Also if i press the "start" button, it goes from full-screen to windowed.

My questions are:-

1. Is there a pre-made xml file which i could use for this specific remote?

2. If not, which file do i need to edit and how do i disable certain buttons from functioning at all? (I don't want the remote to do windows functions whilst in xbmc!)

EDIT: FYI, if it makes life easier, I also have:-
a Harmony ALL-IN-ONE
a PS3 controller
a bluetooth dongle

If any of these are easier to setup, then i'd be happy to choose these controlling devices instead)
The Start button sends win-alt-return, which is the hotkey to launch Windows media Center, and you can't do anything with this message. Actually I'm surprised it does anything in XBMC, but obviously XBMC is seeing as alt-return and is flipping between windowed and fullscreen as a result.

The e button sends a browser_home APPCOMMAND message. With XBMC v10.1 you can't do anything with this and the e button will open Internet Explorer. In Eden you can handle this button using an appcommand.xml containing (for example):

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <appcommand>
      <browser_home>Notification(AppCommand, You pressed browser_home, 2)</browser_home>
    </appcommand>
  </global>
</keymap>

JR
thanks for clarifying that jhsrennie.

i have Eden beta 3. I simply want the basic buttons...the rest i want to be able to disable. Can i do this?
i'm confused as to what files i need to add or edit...i thought it was remote.xml i need to alter?

EDIT: I have just made an appcommand.xml file in \AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\keymaps folder.

I copied and pasted your xml text from above into the file and restarted xbmc. But this has not made any difference. The "E" button still opens internet explorer.

Would it be better to use bluetooth? ps3 pad?
The VRC-1100 works by emulating a keyboard. Actually most MCE remotes work this way or can be configured to work this way. Anyhow, that's why you modify keyboard.xml not remote.xml.

To find out why the e button is still opening IE I need to see a debug log. Enable debug logging from System settings, System, Debugging and restart XBMC. Press the e button then close XBMC. Pop the debug log on http://pastebin.com/ and I'll have a look.

The VRC-1100 is a perfectly good remote so I wouldn't be looking around for something more complicated.
Thanks for explaining mate.

I was going to get the debug info for you, but i've hit a big problem. See here:-

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=123438
I've posted in that thread. It's a known bug in Eden beta 3.

JR
thanks mate...just need to solve that bug or give me the work around as otherwise i can't use Eden and that means i also can't stop the remote from sending out unwanted commands.
I have some good news, regarding cancelling the "E" button which was launching internet browser each time. I did a registry hack and now that button is permanently disabled. That means, i don't really require Eden install and i'm happy with v10.1.

I now just need to figure out how to disable or remap the "Start" green button. I'm sure there must be a way...any registry hacks or programs that can disable this?

How can i check what commands the green button is sending as it doesn't work in showkey?
The green button sends win-alt-enter. You can trap this using a third party app like AutoHotKey. Search the Windows forum for AutoHotKey for more details.

JR
Thanks mate! Your a bloody star! Big Grin

After days of messing about, i have now managed to do almost everything i need -
1. disabled the E button via registry
2. disabled the win+alt+ent (green button) using the autohotkey
3. disabled the left & right win key to stop someone accidently pressing these causing xbmc to switch to windows.
4. i went a couple of steps further:-
a. added script to hide tray icon
b. added script to have a hidden combination keypress to
suspend/toggle from disabled keys to enabled keys and vice-versa
c. i compiled this into an exe and have added it to registry startup

If anyone else would like the script, here it is:-

Quote:#notrayicon
#!Enter::??
~LWin Up:: Return
~RWin Up:: Return
^+S::Suspend, Toggle

Hope this helps others!