5900RPM drives
I'm quickly running out of space, was going to buy a 2TB drive in the near future.

Obviously a 7200RPM and above drive is preferred but would I be able to get away with a 5900RPM drive?

Would I be able to pull data off the drive quick enough so I wouldn't notice any stuttering etc when watching movies?

I'd say 95% of my movies/tv shows are standard def with only a few 1080p.
Definitely enough. It will easily stream even multiple full 1080p blu-ray videos.
I run full bd rips off a wd elements with 2.0 and have no problems.
Full HD stream (max) = 4MB/s

That's four megabyte, i.e. an absolute non issue.

For media repository, I'd go for a slow drive any day. Cooler, less noise, less vibration and less power consumption. Only time you may in theory notice is when copying content, but that's only if you have no other bottlenecks on the computer.
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
No problems here either.

7200 for me would not be preferable. I'm running 5900 RPM drives in my file server, 4 XBMC clients, downloads, and some other stuff happening and I haven't noticed any problems.
Kirky99 Wrote:7200 for me would not be preferable. I'm running 5900 RPM drives in my file server, 4 XBMC clients, downloads, and some other stuff happening and I haven't noticed any problems.

this is the same for me. I have 6 5900RPM drives in my server and I can't even hear them.

I have a 7200RPM drive in my macbook and I can hear it and it vibrates a little. SSD upgrade in the future!
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
I'm at odds as to what drives to add-on with. I was using the WD20EARS, but with the warranty reduction from Western Digital on new drives I'm really unsure for what to turn to. I thought about the black drives, but that's back in the 7200 RPM mix.
Deviant Khan Wrote:I'm at odds as to what drives to add-on with. I was using the WD20EARS, but with the warranty reduction from Western Digital on new drives I'm really unsure for what to turn to. I thought about the black drives, but that's back in the 7200 RPM mix.

Well, I'd argue that a) a drive generally either fails early or can be expected to live for at least 3-4 years and b) if a drive fails there's often more "costs" involved in managing the failure as such than in replacing the actual HW.

Assuming that for example WD20EARS is still a solid product and good choice for your needs, why focus your selection on a criteria that after all is not very likely to apply (failure during year 3).
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
True that...

I've been running Barracuda Greens, 2TB drives. I fully expect to just order a replacement if/when one fails as managing the failed drive will consume way more energy and time than just replacing it. The reality is though, I will probably have refreshed all the drives with new hardware well before they hit end of life. 2TB doesn't go as far as it used to. I'll probably pull them as a backup and replace them with whatever the largest capacity drive is when I run out of room.
unabatedshagie Wrote:I'm quickly running out of space, was going to buy a 2TB drive in the near future.

Obviously a 7200RPM and above drive is preferred but would I be able to get away with a 5900RPM drive?

Would I be able to pull data off the drive quick enough so I wouldn't notice any stuttering etc when watching movies?

I'd say 95% of my movies/tv shows are standard def with only a few 1080p.

i have a 5400RPM WD 'green' drive and i have zero speed issues with 1080P

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
5900RPM drives0