Accessing server
I got my server running well and I just ran wires and set it up with a keyboard in the basement. i didn't put a monitor on it and had to log on blind. Is it possible to log in from another computer in my house since there is no monitor on it?

Or, can WHS 2011 be set up to just boot without entering the password like Windows 7 can?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
it should be able to,

just go to start in the search type netplwiz and hit enter. then click require this user to login without a password (or something similar to that)

you should be able to use remote desktop sharing (VNC). I don't use windows much but it should be built in. just google windows screen sharing or something similar
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
Err, wrong forum?
If you can temporarily move a monitor down there, then logmein is a great way to remote access computers which don't have RDP enabled windows versions (afaik any "Home" does not, the rest do).

Added benefit is that you can access it from any computer anywhere, if that's of any value.
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
Hmm logmein is a great idea. What about accessing it to log on when the server boots? I guess I have no choice but to put a small monitor there?

BTW, ever since I shut it down yesterday I noticed so random files missing. A couple TV episodes and movie. I shut the server down safely but I wonder if Stablebit Drivepool needs to be shut down or something too first.
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
I have no clue about the latter part, but you can use logmein to access a freshly booted computer. Only reason you need a monitor there once is in order to download and install the software.
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
I find UltraVNC is the easiest method for me..

You'll need to install it as a 'server' on the Server (!) so you'll probably need a monitor and keyboard to set it up/install it first. You need to put in a password, just use an easy 2/3 digit password. Longer if it's open to the net , of course Smile

Then install the 'Client' version of the software on your upstairs computer.

easy.. double click the app, hit enter (selects your server) 2 digit password and you see a live copy of the Server screen via your network.

Download here
You know that WHS has a dashboard that can be installed on any client machine. From it you can do everything as if you were on the server itself. You just need and addin called Advanced Admin Console

Other option is just use Remote desktop. No need for VNC or logmein(unless you need remote access from outside your home). If remote access is need from outside, i would suggest Teamviewer. (install Teamviewer host on server...create an account on there site and you will have access.) they also have installs for mobile platforms.

If my replies help you, please click on my reputation Image below :) thanks :)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Accessing server0