Win 7 x64 crashing on all current Eden releases
HI, I have been having problems with all new releases of Eden,, Dharma was smooth all the way through

I find menu jittery at times and will usually fail when starting playback, whether streaming a trailer or playing something locally, screen will freeze and xbmc will be unresponsive but you can hear the media being played back.

Other times I find it freezes going from one submenu to another, but not nearly as often,,

I never have had it crash at any other point

AMD x3 445 and a 460 GTX so I don't think hardware limitations/issues
We need to see a debug log showing a freeze. The best way to achieve this is to enable "silent" debug logging by creating an advancedsettings.xml file. Press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

Code:
notepad "%appdata%\xbmc\userdata\advancedsettings.xml"

and click OK and answer Yes when you're prompted to create a new file. Copy and paste the following into Notepad:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <loglevel>1</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>

Close Notepad and save the changes. Now just use XBMC as usual. When it next freezes immediately close XBMC. Open the debug log by pressing Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

"%appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log"

(including the quotes). Click OK and the log should open in Notepad. Copy and paste the log into http://pastebin.com/ and post the link it gives you here.

JR
http://pastebin.com/abTHNzwr
had to cut it short, otherwise over limit
The error is:

Code:
DEBUG: ------ Window Init (VideoFullScreen.xml) ------
INFO: Loading skin file: VideoFullScreen.xml
ERROR: CThread::staticThread : Access violation at 0x736e6900: Reading location 0x736e6900

However I don't know what is causing this.

JR
Rename guisetttings.xml to guisettings.old, likewise with advancedsettings.xml.

Reboot and see what happens. Somethings messed with a couple of things - you have multiple errors of different types. Let us know what happens after you try this (i.e. post another log).
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
looked like the guisettings were corrupted. seems to work fine now, thanks!
I'm curious which setting caused trouble, can you upload your old guisettings on pastebin?
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I am having the exact same issue. I have tried downgrading my ATI Video driver and disabling various addons to no avail.

I only have the , "fail when starting playback" issue. Does not happen all the time, just random really. I can hear the video playing in the background, just the GUI freezes and I have to get up from my cushy recliner and kill the process.

I will try this tonight when I get home from work and see if this fixes my problem as well. I am betting it will.

@CrystalP I could upload my old settings, but I was playing around and it seems to be linked in with the Modded Confluence skin by Jezz_X that works with MovieSets - it works wonderfully with the movieset mod, but works like poo apparently when you try to play a movie,, I enabled it and everything started crashing again, disabled it and redid my settings, everything works well again.

Is the default confluence going to be updated with some of those settings,, what I liked that are missing is from home page movie menu it adds the submenu (recents/title, etc) to select just the moviesets - also when viewing the movie sets it will show tiny thumbnails of up to 6 of the movies within the set.... I have like 1400 movies so it really prettied up some of the details
Still curious about the guisetting that crashes XBMC. Maybe XBMC can be hardened a bit.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Just a quick update.

I took CrystalIP's advice listed above and renamed the usersettings.xml to usersettings.old.

So far no GUI freezing when starting a show or movie. Keeping fingers crossed!

Basically what this does is force xmbc on restart to recreate the file. Be warned it is from scratch and you will have to redo all your settings.

So far so good.

http://pastebin.com/XwNuF2q7

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Win 7 x64 crashing on all current Eden releases0