Linux XBMCBuntu running on pendrive
Hi all,

I try to get XBMCBuntu running from my pendrive(s).
It is possible to install it as a "persistent"- as well with netbootin as with LiLi, the first boot is also always OK, the problem comes later...

The problem comes when I try to use it, I mean exit XBMC and go to Linux and install some stuff like ssh or samba or make few reboots.
Then my installation is ALWAYS broken, there is no way to get XBMCBuntu running. What is funny - it happens regardless of used pendrive (tested with Partiot Rage, Transcend, Modemcom), the final is always the same - FAILURE Sad
As a FAILURE it is:
- boot to Install procedure
- boot to texmode
- errors during boot like "no credentials bla bla"
- errors during boot like "terminating lightmanager" (or similar)

I am slowly getting tired with this...
Is someone here successfully using the latest build of XBMCBuntu on pendriveHuh?
Yes, I use a pen drive and found no problems, using Eden RC2 now.
I am also running xbmcBuntu on a 4 GB thumb drive with no problems.
How mush ram do you have? I am running 2 GB, but have never seen over 550 MB used. If you have a GB or more, you should just disable swap and stop thrashing the flash. Flash memory has a finate life.

sudo swapoff –a
Edit the file /etc/fstab to remove or comment the lines for swap.

If you really want to quiet down the flash, you can mount an nfs share to /var/log
Hi guys, I gave up such installers like LiLi or netbootin and used an old fashion ;-) bood CD with Eden RC3, then I was able to get my Patriot running (longer than until the next boot ;-))). I am quite happy with this and I am not going to reinstall it ;-). I don not know what was wrong with LiLi and netbootin but I DO NOT care now. Probably next version of Eden and mentioned installer will run okay together in the future but yet now ;-)

P.S. godfreydanials - you're right I must disable swap, I have 2GB memory and it is fully enough for XBMC
For what it's worth I have exactly the same issues as the OP. The installation works initially but then seems to get corrupted after a few boot cycles. After that it will do one of the following things:

-Boot to a garbled Unetbootin menu
-Boot to a commands line
-Get stuck on the Ubuntu splash screen (with the white/red progress dots)
-Boot to the window manager but not accept any credentials (which worked before and I know to be correct)

I'm a happy long term Eden and Apple TV2 user so I know my way around XBMC and have installed it and reinstalled it quite a few times, but not know much about Linux I have no idea how to begin tracking down my boot problems.

Tim.
Try using the pen drive you have created with unetbootin/lili to install xbmcbuntu onto another pen drive.
but it is the same as installation from CD, here and here you can install it onto another pendrive
I finally got my pen drive working. Linux can be a pain in the ass.
do you notice any performance difference from live usb vs install? besides the os not working lol
(2012-03-15, 17:08)deafmouse Wrote: do you notice any performance difference from live usb vs install? besides the os not working lol

nope

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCBuntu running on pendrive0