changing from smb to...
hey guys iv read in a few places that smb isnt the best for video sources, as mine keeps buffering, just wondering how easy is it to change to another type and what is the best one im running atv2 latest eden and all videos are on a server running windows server 2003
NFS (wiki)
when i try and select nfs i just get spiing circle then takes me right back to add new share
Did you set up NFS on windows?
no im trying to do that now i found a guide but it says i cant install it on 64bit system

the guide im following is this:
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...p?tid=1434
Our wiki NFS (wiki) page says you can, so maybe that guide is outdated.
so would NFS be better than SMB?
dos it use less ressources in XBMC?
i have a synology NAS, using SMB, have only a little buffering sometimes, ...
cf125, if your host PC is Windows, you can only set up NFS on it if you have Windows Ultimate installed (as far as I can remember).

Try using FTP or WEBDAV if you can configure that on your PC. Both protocols are "lighter" than SMB and will be quicker.
QNAP TS670 NAS - 4x4TB Raided with NFS Support & Central MySQL DB
Pi 3 [Xbian] - Samsung 46" ES7000 Smart TV & HT-E5550 3D BD Sound System
Pi 3 [Xbian]  + Hyperion Ambilight- Samsung 48" Curved UE48JS9000 4k
PowerEthernet T1502 Powerline adapters
Nfs is definitely quicker ... Use hanewin Nfs for a simple but effective windows server
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
any incovenients of using NFS vs SMB?
(2012-03-14, 19:43)jpcolin Wrote: any incovenients of using NFS vs SMB?

Hi jpcolin -

I have setup NFS previously but still use SMB right now since every so often I run into a permissioning issue with NFS that I cannot figure out (or fix.) Its VERY rare for me, but SMB has been bulletproof for wired

I plan to try NFS again now that the RC versions are out since I would prefer to use the leaner protocol, but for ease of use, SMB all the way. Unless you have a problem with SMB, there is no need to use anything else.

Having said that, I have a WiFi setup in a bedroom that sometimes has buffering and I will test NFS and FTP to see if that reduces the problem.
ok if i swap over to nfs how easy is it to move my current set up i dont wanna have to rescan everythin taken me ages to get all the tv metadata and film info correct
(2012-03-15, 00:04)cf125 Wrote: ok if i swap over to nfs how easy is it to move my current set up i dont wanna have to rescan everythin taken me ages to get all the tv metadata and film info correct

You COULD directly edit your database tables and replace all of the SMB paths to NFS, but even of you do that all the thumbnails will be missing since they are derived from the full path... So, your best best is to re-scan.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
changing from smb to...0