Linux No idea how to install xbmcubuntu
I downloaded the image file and burned to a disk. Placed disk in drive of laptop and boot from disk.

Screen says "xbmcubuntu 11.10" then I eventually get a mouse on the screen, then screen goes blank and nothing else happens.

Took disk and tried to install on another system:

Screen says "xbmcubuntu 11.10" then I eventually get a mouse on the screen, then screen goes blank and nothing else happens.
Hi

do you get a scren with picture of a keyboard on the bottom.?

if so press enter when it pops up and you should get a menu with the option to install.

Matt
Main - LG - OLED65CX6LA 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED TV - Yamaha RXV383 - N2plus running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
BedRoom - Panasonic DX-700 UHD TV - N2 running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
Server - debian based 10TB Media Server 
Lol... that did the trick! I would have given up! Why not have it go right to install? Or say "press enter to install"? lol

Anyway... it runs HORRIBLY on my old laptop. And even though it has access to my network, I can not see IT on my network. Thank you anyway.

I have two old laptops that I use as HTPCs and I always hear about how much better linux is than windows, so I figured "These old systems will run even better on linux than with HUGE os windows"

Man was I wrong! Every system I have tried linux on has run HORRIBLY slower, with TONS of problems... from the old laptops to my brand new state of the art HTPC! I suppose there is a reason windows is on 99% of the computers out there! I will have to give up and go back to the oversize OS as it seems to be the only one that works!
You definitely have a point, it is no accident that win has a great market share. However, you should realize that saying that win is the only os that works will create some bad feelings in the forum. Why do you post that? You should say "it is the only os that works for me" . You should also realize that people would take you more serious of you spend a bit more time before such a statement. I.e. getting past the point of struggling with the install screen.
Still, I do agree that linux needs to improve if they want to go to next level.
hey i have no idea how to install xbmcbuntu too,
i downloaded the image file and set up my usb drive with unetbootin
and when i boot my htpc from usb a unetbootin screen appears with two options default and help
when i choose help a black screen appears with a command prompt, i typed help and a screen with all available commands (about 30)
i dont know what to do there

but when i choose default xbmcbuntu starts right up - seems nice but how do i install it?

thank you
I don't know why anybody would have any personal feelings about OS either way. I mean, I guess I know that people do... but I personally could care less. I didn't make them, so I am not insulted either way. I would dump Windows in a heartbeat for something better. lol

I didn't mean any disrespect to anybody, this is an XBMC forum and I think it is an amazing piece of software. And while my Linux use is limited... I have been trying to use it for about a year now in several different instances and applications. While I realize the user interface lacks luster, I was always under the impression that it made up for it in other ways. However, every system I have tried Linux on (aside from being hard to set up, I understand that) either ran SUPER slow or was unable to get the hardware to work properly.The driver supper does not seem to be as good with Linux. And although boot time is SUPER fast, sometimes when I move the mouse, it takes a half a second for the pointer to move! I just have had no luck with it on anything I have tried. That is disappointing as I was hoping it would be great.
Laptops are notorious for having bad driver support, in any OS, but especially Linux.
That you've been trying to run it on Laptops and it's running badly makes me think that is the issue.

I'm no Linux guru either.. but I have seen these same issues myself when playing with a laptop, whereas a desktop machine works wonderfully.
I've repurposed several old desktops to good use with some flavor or another of Linux.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No idea how to install xbmcubuntu0