XBMCbuntu Eden RC2 - Music Library Search not working
I am running Eden RC2. My albums contain about 2,000 .MP3 files which are stored on a remote nfs share. The library is stored on a remote mysql database. I can not get the music library search function to work. I have re-built the library and cleaned the library with no help.

As an example, I did a search for "Stone" and xbmc became so busy that it was unresponsive to the keyboard, mouse or remote control. I let it go for 20 minutes and noticed the clock stopped updating. To break out of this I had to kill the xbmc process via ssh. The string "Stone" is present several places in all of the album, artist and song tables of the library, yet it was not found. With debug logging enabled, xbmc is seen searching all 3 tables repeatedly.

Code:
mysql> SELECT * FROM artist WHERE strArtist like "%Stone%";
+----------+--------------------+
| idArtist | strArtist          |
|       31 | Rolling Stones     |
|       35 | The Rolling Stones |
|      332 | Joss Stone         |
1) This search should not fail.
2) If a search does fail, there should be a timeout with an appropriate user message.
The debug log will have shown you the current searches I think? Find out why they're wrong.

Note that XBMC searches multiple times as it searches as you type - it will only search 5 times for "Stone" though, assuming you didn't make a bunch of typos (each search is fired about a second or so after you type a letter).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

As I said in my original post, the search goes on forever, repeatedly searching the artist album and songs tables. It is interesting that the MyMusic18 tables are artist, album and song, while the debug log shows xbmc continuously searching artist, album and songs. Note the plural to song, which is the real table name.

Here is the xbmc debug log, with 2268 lines of repeated searches snipped.
Music library search debug log
Right, nothing wrong with the queries-per-se, it's just repeatedly updating stuff. Will try to repro.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

I really do appreciate you looking at this and I appreciate all the effort you developers put into porting the library to mysql. I don't understand what stuff it could be updating, after I re-created the library and cleaned the library. Can you give me an example?
Can you build? If so, switch around the lines in xbmc/music/GUIWindowMusicNav.cpp:783 or so, so that m_searchTimer.Stop() is done before OnSearchUpdate(). Not a 100% fix, but it should at least stop it looping forever. Will slot this fix in in the meantime.

Note that the issue occurs only if the busy dialog pops up.

Cheers,
Jonathan

I have never done a build, but love to learn. Can you give me a link to a how-to, wiki or other information?
Sure, assuming you're on Ubuntu you can build by following the instructions here:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master/README.ubuntu

Note that XBMCbuntu probably doesn't have the majority of deps setup, so you may want to do it from another machine. If you look in the root of the github listing you'll see generic README.linux as well as other platforms.

Good luck!

Jonathan

(2012-03-21, 00:49)jmarshall Wrote: Can you build? If so, switch around the lines in xbmc/music/GUIWindowMusicNav.cpp:783 or so, so that m_searchTimer.Stop() is done before OnSearchUpdate(). Not a 100% fix, but it should at least stop it looping forever. Will slot this fix in in the meantime.
Jonathan,
Did you already change to order of these lines in the source? I finally created a suitable build environment and this is what I found in the file xbmc/music/GUIWindowMusicNav.cpp:

Code:
783     m_searchTimer.Stop();
784     OnSearchUpdate();

Please advise.

Quote:Will slot this fix in in the meantime.

Yup.

I just upgraded to the Eden release and the music library search function now works as I expected. I did the search as I described above for "Stone" and found 119 matches in album, artist and song. Thanks jmarsall!
Excellent Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu Eden RC2 - Music Library Search not working0