[atv2] xbmc randomly exiting during video playback
recently I have notice that sometimes during a video playback (in this case, a tv episode of dancing with the stars), xbmc will randomly quit. what happens is I am watching the show and out of nowhere the screen goes black and it returns me to my appletv menu. I can launch xbmc once again and when I return to the show, it does not have a resume feature. I simply have to fast forward and, once I continue watching, it may or may not do this odd reset again. sometimes I am fine.

I first noticed it watching streaming shows from the food network via that addon. I just assumed it was a problem with their website and thought nothing more when shows would just stop and return me to the apple menu. After this LOCAL playback issue though, now I know there is something else happening.

oddly, I noticed that on my appletv menu, the MOVIES option stopped working. I used to be able to browse movie previews(I guess that was powered by itunes?) using the default apple provided movie application in atv but when I choose that, the screen blanks and then returns me to the menu, just like what happens randomly during a show playback in XBMC.

I'm puzzled. any ideas?

EDIT* I realize this is somewhat of a total shot in the dark, random question; I just figured maybe someone has experienced this same problem and had a solution. One of the things I notice is that sometimes while I'm watching a local show, there will be a message from XBMC that the cache is full. not sure if that's normal but it got me thinking, maybe I just need to empty some temp folder or some sort of maintenance related item. again, just guessing.

Its not that big of a deal but it is annoying. Last night we watched (3) 30 minute TV shows and it did not happen even once. I wonder if the apple remote battery is dying and its randomly sending keypresses or something stupid like that.

(2012-03-22, 02:23)moveright Wrote: recently I have notice that sometimes during a video playback (in this case, a tv episode of dancing with the stars), xbmc will randomly quit. what happens is I am watching the show and out of nowhere the screen goes black and it returns me to my appletv menu. I can launch xbmc once again and when I return to the show, it does not have a resume feature. I simply have to fast forward and, once I continue watching, it may or may not do this odd reset again. sometimes I am fine.

I first noticed it watching streaming shows from the food network via that addon. I just assumed it was a problem with their website and thought nothing more when shows would just stop and return me to the apple menu. After this LOCAL playback issue though, now I know there is something else happening.

oddly, I noticed that on my appletv menu, the MOVIES option stopped working. I used to be able to browse movie previews(I guess that was powered by itunes?) using the default apple provided movie application in atv but when I choose that, the screen blanks and then returns me to the menu, just like what happens randomly during a show playback in XBMC.

I'm puzzled. any ideas?

EDIT* I realize this is somewhat of a total shot in the dark, random question; I just figured maybe someone has experienced this same problem and had a solution. One of the things I notice is that sometimes while I'm watching a local show, there will be a message from XBMC that the cache is full. not sure if that's normal but it got me thinking, maybe I just need to empty some temp folder or some sort of maintenance related item. again, just guessing.

Its not that big of a deal but it is annoying. Last night we watched (3) 30 minute TV shows and it did not happen even once. I wonder if the apple remote battery is dying and its randomly sending keypresses or something stupid like that.

I am having a similar issue and would like to know if there are any solutions out there.

My XBMC is stopping almost every time I try to play a new video (returning me back to the apple menu). I then re-launch XBMC, select the same video, and it will play fine. When that video is done, I run into the same issue on the next video file I try to play. I’ve noticed Updating Library will also cause xbmc to crash / close and return back to the Apple menu.

I don’t understand. Everything has been working great on my ATV2 until now. It’s extremely annoying

I’m thinking it may have something to do with updating aTV Flash (black) to version 1.4 (Mar-8-2012).
Any recommendations?
Post a crashlog (first link in my signature). If you have installed firecores media player and are using afp or smb as sharing protocol then its very likly that a known incompatibility between firecore and xbmc crashs xbmc. In that case only deinstalling firecores mediaplayer is a solution atm.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
not sure if I have firecores media player. I just jailbroke with season pass on 4.4.4 and everything seemed to work. I installed nito and got xbmc through nito.

which appletv crash file do I need to paste, there are about 30 of them! is that bad?

thanks. while I consider myself no stranger to linux and certainly not a stranger to computers and software modification, I am, admittedly wet behind the ears on this type of investigation.
the latest appletv blubb blubb crashlog should be it ... look at the file date or the name (which has the date in it aswell).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I have this exact same issue and searched rantically but didn't find this thread so started a new one (Apologies) heres a link if anyone wants a read

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=126295

hopefully you don't think I'm hijacking your thread but it is the exact same issue so if a Mod feels like it could they move/merge please.
(2012-03-22, 17:32)Memphiz Wrote: Post a crashlog (first link in my signature). If you have installed firecores media player and are using afp or smb as sharing protocol then its very likly that a known incompatibility between firecore and xbmc crashs xbmc. In that case only deinstalling firecores mediaplayer is a solution atm.

Thank you Memphiz!
That worked for me. I un-installed Firecore's Mediaplayer and now xbmc is running just fine.

Hello, newbie hereBig Grin

I have a similar problem to this.

I purchased an apple tv a few months ago which had been jailbroken (untethered) and since the purchase most films have been doing the exact same thing, pausing all the time (pausing for 5/10 mins or until it states chache is full seems to help for a little while) or simply just stopping and returning to the apple home screen??

It has become so annoying that I don't seem to use the apple tv much now which is a shame.

I am new to XMBC and not a pc expert so if you could help me in any way, be gentle Wink

Many thanks if you can help !
Bump, anyone?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[atv2] xbmc randomly exiting during video playback0