[Mac]Sound issues on mac mini
hi guys. new to the current version of xbmc. I used to use xbmc with a original xbox back in the old days.

I just bought a mac mini to replace my popcorn hour. I have the latest RC of xbmc working mostly fine - but I have a problem with the sound which I'm not sure is a mac issue or a xbmc issue.

Sometimes I go to play a .avi or a .mov file - and the vid will play fine, but no sound. The mac mini is connected by hdmi to a Denon 4311 receiver. When I play one of these files the receiver will flash up and say it's getting a 96khz pcm for some reason. But dead silence.

Here's the weird thing. There are some .avi files that do play fine however once I play a file that does not work, then every single .avi file will not play sound unless I reboot the mac.

i.e. I have a directory of .mov files that don't play sound in xbmc. I also have another directory of .avi files that do work ok. If I play one of the .mov files, then all those other .avi files will be silent. But if I reboot, and go straight to those .avi files they'll work fine, as long as I don't open the .mov files first.
I should note it's not just .mov files giving me grief, thats just one example. There are other directories with .avi that are ok.

All the .mkv files are fine, they all seem to pass dts straight to the receiver and are ok.

Any tips? sorta stuck here. My gut feel is it's a mac hdmi bug or similar?
Need more details. What version of Mac OS X are you using? What year is the Mac Mini? the more details the better.
Hi Ned,

Sorry Smile

It's 10.7, the mac mini is brand new - the latest i5 2.3ghz one with the onboard intel video.

xbmc is the only program installed on it - everything else is as factory. I've tried playing around in the "midi setup" with the speaker config there but it doesn't seem to change anything.
update. I have tried it with optical - same thing, prob worse. it went silent on .mkv's then

thinking it might be my receiver i went back to hdmi only, and plugged the hdmi from the mac mini direct into the tv. same thing, so that rules the receiver out.

I'm stumped. i have discovered that when xbmc goes all silent, if i switch to the finder, and make the finder make a noise of some sort - it restores xbmc's audio again - until the next file annoys it.

all these files play with audio ok with vlc - I just downloaded it as a test.

really out of ideas now
Need a debug log to offer any suggestions here...
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

hi guys, I'll do a debug log later today or this weekend. i just discovered that if in the xbmc settings if i set the sound to analog/2.0 (even though the audio still goes physically over the hdmi cable) that the sound problems completely dissapear.

The problem is that stops the bitstreaming to the receiver of dts encoded files, so not ideal but it'll get me going in the meantime.
hi - I experience the same problem on my MacMini 2010 and XBMC Dharma.
MacMini is connected to a Onkyo receiver through HDMI and switching to Analog /2.0 clears the problem. Have not yet looked to much into this as quitting XBMC and restarting remedies the problem. I guess switching between different Audio format forces the problem but again no trail which combination is problematic.
Have not yet updated to Eden as I want to wait for the final release.
cheers
it looks like upgrading to 10.7.3 has fixed it - I'll confirm in a day or so after i test it a bit.
hi guys. confirmed. 10.7.3 fixes it.

working perfectly with sound set to hdmi/digital in xbmc

Sejanus,

From your post I believe you are talking about the $599 mac mini 2.3Ghz with Intel HD Graphics 3000! Does this work perfectly with XBMC? 1080P playback is fine? Will this play mythtv OTA HD recordings as well? Would appreciate actual owners feedback....I would like to buy one....
Im having same audio issue sound plays fine at first then stops at a point change the source of the tv from hdmi to cable then back to hdmi sound comes back

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Mac]Sound issues on mac mini0