Install XBMC on ATV2 Black
Hi,
Novice housewife here but I got sooooo far along. Not mentioning the whole first part of the process that I completed successfully. I am looking at the red FC logo on my ATV2. I see this is an indication that I am ready to install XBMC. Downloaded Tunnelier and logged in! Got the black screen to type a command. I typed:
ssh [email protected] exactly like that and got: Could not resolve host name DEVICE.IP.ADDRESS.HERE: nodename nor servname provided, or not known. Was I supposed to substitute MY info? What did I do wrong? Thanks for helping a novice.
Happy Easter and or Passover. Sincerely, Dianne Mueller
Yep, you need to replace it with a numerical IP address. They look like "10.0.1.3" or "192.168.0.2" or some other four group cluster of numbers.

It can be found in the normal ATV menu under settings -> general (or network.. not near my ATV2 at the moment, but one of those). You can also find it by looking at your router's settings and looking at the list of connected devices.
Thanks so much. I got through all the way to reboot. The ATV2 shut off but then.......I got a screen that showed a micro USB cord wanting to be attached to itunes. So I removed the HDMI and connected back to my computer with itunes open. Nothing happened. I tried another reboot from the remote and got the same screen. Took the power and HDMI cords out and shut down the router for 30 secs. Nothing. If I try to reboot again I get the same screen and then if I don't do anything the screen goes black and the light flashes. Oooooooooo I was so close. Can you help? I am reading though the forum but getting bleary eyed.
Sincerely,
Dianne
Read about tethered boot: http://support.firecore.com/entries/3876...seas0npass
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
Great, I did it and now I keep on. My xbmc did not install (I am still getting the FC logo icon for settings) I figured I'd start again with the install from the command line. When I try to "get" it I see an error: malformed line 1 in source list.d/awkwardtv.list <URI parsed>. I think I need to start over cleanly but what and where do I delete stuff?
Almost there.
Thanks,
Dianne
Try logging in again with SSH, and then run:
Code:
rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list
rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list

Then start again from the instructions here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...Apple_TV_2
Set Up
Thanks, while I was waiting I managed to install Nitotv and use that to install xbmc BUT I can't find xbmc on Nitotv or an icon for it. Yikes!!!
Dianne
I'll try the above as well
If you are using iOS 5.0 (which I assume you are) then the should be a separate icon. Also you will need the build from here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=127369
Set Up
This worked, the only hitch was it wanted me to run update so after I rebooted I ran update successfully and rebooted again. I'm so close but I don't have an xbmc icon anywhere.
Dianne
It seems there's another issue going on that is preventing XBMC from showing up for a lot of people. Some other software was recently updated and has a bug in it. We're looking into it now.
I think my problem is that I am running 5.0 on my ATV2
Dianne
I did it!!!!!! got new code for 5.0

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=127369

and it works. OMG
Best,
Dianne
I did it as instructed for 5.0, and there is XBMC in main menu. It works BUT there is no sound, even after I changed audio output from analog to optical, as suggested in ios specific issues at xbmc forum. Second problem I have is I am unable to copy files to Apple TV. I am using cyberduck ftp, and upload to mobile/applications begins but after a minute or two there is "socket error" and file transfer interrupts. Pleas help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Install XBMC on ATV2 Black0