Just need general network help/advice
I am experiencing ridiculously slow file transfers (which I tested after my videos were buffering constantly).

Here is my setup:

- Win 7 HTPC - hosts files via smb to my laptop. Also has plex media server that I don't use unless I am away.

- Netgear wireless N router (10/100mb/s lan)

- My laptop is connecting to shares via wireless. Intel HD2000 graphics.

Ok... so I am trying to play 720p files in XBMC and there is bufffering every ~minute.

I tested copying a file via explorer to the share and I am getting around 200 kB/s. I also get the same when I try to copy a file from the share to my laptop.

What are just some basic things I can check because this seems ridiculous to me. I believe all my drivers are up to date.

How close are you to the router? What is your signal strength like? Try switching wireless channels (the one you're on may be crowded).

You may want to look into a newer router, or if possible put Tomato Firmware, DD-WRT, or Open WRT on the router.
Make sure you don't have any wireless B/G devices connected to your wireless network.
Is the microwave on?

Just kidding. . .

No, seriously, make sure it's not on :-)

also check to see that your laptop is connected at N speeds. My old laptop (Dell Xps m1330) only connected in N speeds if I enabled QoS in its advanced settings. Otherwise it would only connect at 54Mbps
first i would rule out wireless issues by connecting everything via ethernet cables and seeing what your transfer rates are.
(2012-03-29, 22:16)aptalca Wrote: Is the microwave on?

Just kidding. . .

No, seriously, make sure it's not on :-)

also check to see that your laptop is connected at N speeds. My old laptop (Dell Xps m1330) only connected in N speeds if I enabled QoS in its advanced settings. Otherwise it would only connect at 54Mbps

That was it. My friend came over and his mac showed he was connected at 270 mb/s. My HP laptop would only connect at 54 mb/s and it would vary from 5 mb/s to 48 mb/s when I was in my room (no wonder it was slow). I enabled QoS on my laptop and my speeds shot up to 130 mb/s. I am still not getting the 270 mb/s that the mac got, but my read transfer was around 68 mb/s and I was able to watch the 720p video without any buffering. I still get strange pixelation at times while watching the video but I don't think that is network related.

Thanks all!
Since it is a laptop, also make sure to change the power options so that it doesn't reduce wlan speeds to save battery life. Actually on any new laptop, the very first thing I do is to get rid of all battery saving options in the wireless power settings
i agree with mcfreiz here,
first, check speeds using a wired conection,,,
if speeds are ok and no buffer occurs,
then its your WiFi the issue of course....

and if its your WiFi,
you should check in your router settings
and try to change the FREQUENCY CHANNEL
to those that are less overapping like 1 or 6 or 11 ..
http://documentation.netgear.com/wn802tv...04-06.html

i had speed issues like you till i changed my channel to 6 ....
then, all was golden!!
(2012-03-30, 20:25)aptalca Wrote: Since it is a laptop, also make sure to change the power options so that it doesn't reduce wlan speeds to save battery life. Actually on any new laptop, the very first thing I do is to get rid of all battery saving options in the wireless power settings

I will definitely check that out. Thanks.

I have a HP dm4-2165dx laptop. Turns out that actually has intel HD3000 graphics. Does anybody know why I am getting weird pixelation issues while playing a 720p h264 video? It just does it every once in a while for a few seconds and mostly on scene changes and usually fixes itself when the camera angle changes. I have messed around with DXVA settings and none of that helps. I turned on post processing and that seemed to help a little bit.

Any ideas?
Scene changes often require a high bitrate, and it's possible your PC can't handle that fast enough? The Radeon 3000 series isn't a very powerful GPU, but I wouldn't have thought 720p would be a problem.
(2012-03-30, 22:08)Kirky99 Wrote: Scene changes often require a high bitrate, and it's possible your PC can't handle that fast enough? The Radeon 3000 series isn't a very powerful GPU, but I wouldn't have thought 720p would be a problem.

It's actually Intel HD 3000 graphics which should be good for anything 2D I throw at it, right?
even for 3D
(2012-03-30, 22:33)eskro Wrote: even for 3D

I found it.

Dumb Intel. Have to disable DXVA2.
Sry, I'm not an Intel guy, didn't realize they had similar names than AMD.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Just need general network help/advice0