Win New HTPC, crappy playback
Hi,

It's been a while since I've messed around with XBMC. My last install was on my original XBOX. I dont have any issues with SD files (dvd/tivo rips). I run into problems when I go to playback HD content (bluray/tivo rips). The HD files are MPEG (Tivo) and MKV (bluray). The files play fine in Windows 7 with windows Media Player/VLC. They stutter in Windows media center and XBMC.

My htpc specs are:
Core i3 2120T (2.6Ghz)
Asus P8H61-M
8Gb (2x4Gb) DDR3 PC3 10666
1Tb HDD
Asus Bluray drive
XBMC 11.0 Eden

I would really appreciate any help you guys can offer. I think the system is powerful enough to play the files, but I am not sure if XBMC/WMC is creating a bottle neck. Perhaps I need to look into a graphics card?

Thanks a lot!
What are your video settings?

Try software instead of DXVA. That i3 should have plenty of power.
I moved the PC from my office to my living room, and what do you know... most of my HD files are working just fine. It appears the only problem files that still exist are the HD files I took off of my Tivo. I have run the .tivo files through direct show dump to remove the .tivo extension and leave me with a mpeg2 file. I dont know why my XBMC install doesnt seem to like them. I'm going to try and run one of the mpeg2 files through handbrake to convert it to H264 and see how that goes...

To answer your question, my video playback settings are as follows:

Render method: Auto Detect
Hardware acceleration: Off
Adjust Display Refresh rate to match video: Off
Sync Playback to display: Off

The converted .tivo files (created using the same method as above) on my i5 based laptop have the same issues...

It appears from the OSD that XBMC (both machines) is using ff-mpeg2video to decode the files..

Any advice on how to proceed with troubleshooting?
Try turning hardware acceleration on
(2012-03-30, 00:27)Bernigoober Wrote: Any advice on how to proceed with troubleshooting?

That sounds like a solid strategy.

I can test it on my GT430 rig if you can provide a short sample.
I have tried turning on hardware acceleration and i still had the same issues. I have converted the files from mpeg2 to h264/mkv files. They are playing perfectly now. I appreciate all the help, especially since the information I have provided has been a little lacking.

now I just need to figure out how to setup handbrake to convert my mpeg files and keep the 5.1 audio track in tact...

Thanks again!
Turn off DXVA2....Intel iGPU don't play nice with DXVA2.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HTPC, crappy playback0