Fix a corrupt database
If you are an idiot like me, you managed to corrupt your video database more then once before you learned to create backups of them.. Would be nice to have the ability to scan and fix errors in the database if possible...
in 95% of the cases, there's absolutely no way to fix a db automagically. waste of time.
spiff Wrote:in 95% of the cases, there's absolutely no way to fix a db automagically. waste of time.

Well damn.. I need to keep backups of my backups of my backups it seems.. I always forget to set my FTP into binary and i end up downloaded the db in ascii.. which you can say bye bye to it...
I got my database corrupted, some how, but what can I do to create a new one.
I don't mind loosing all videos data, but how do I create a new videos database.
rm the old one.
Upon running ?
Thank you, worked like a charm. Nod
Was doing some searching around on this topic as it seems to be popping up quite often for those I've setup ATV's for

Most common DB to be corrupted seems to be the Addons15.db which of course causes XBMC to be unable to check repositories and get updates, deleting the DB allowing it to get rebuilt corrects this

I've also seen in more than just one instance where another DB became corrupted, the log didn't identify which one, but caused XBMC to crash when loading.. again deleting all DB's in the Database folder corrected it - I have access to an ATV currently with this issue, will get the log within a couple days if needed

Now these errors I've also seen happen on my own Win7 machine, always running latest nightlies, so can't be pinned squarely on the ATV

I know database repairing isn't the answer, but how about detection of corruption and notifying the user, also prompting them to rebuild the affected database?

This could go a long way to help some of the user frustration when this happens, not all users are savvy enough to know how to correct

edit - just to note I always try to keep everyone updated to most recently builds as possibly, all are now on Eden Beta 1, but has still been happening, hard to pin down the trigger.. one thing in common has been most are running wireless
i have the feeling that this mostly happens when xbmc crashes ... just to have that said Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Why not just have a backup of last good config one. Ie when a change is made to addons15.db create a copy of addons15.db.oldButGood. Then if addons15.db is corrupted we go back to addons15.db.oldButGood .
Bringing this one back up... too many people coming back to me with their DB corrupted ATV's Smile

Mainly it's the addon db that's getting corrupted so they are missing out on updates

Not very concerned with the why it's corrupting - but preventing corruption might be a good avenue to take if possible

But more the how to fix in a more user friendly way, as lets face it, the percentage of users with the tech know how to correct this is very small

I'm not sure if xbmcmomomo's suggestion above is the best route to take, a simple detection of corruption and notify/prompt user of the problem should be an easy first step... ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fix a corrupt database0