• 79(current)
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup)
(2015-10-16, 15:43)robweber Wrote:
(2015-10-05, 22:39)ed_davidson Wrote: Hi Rob. I have a request, not sure if it would be possible though.
Would it be possible to add a public cloud storage folder to download only the backups from, which then get downloaded to the temp folder. I k ow you can set up dropbox and Google but this would be handy to have.
Thanks.

Could you give me some more detail here? What kind of Public Cloud Storage Folder do you mean?

Here is the idea. I have a copy.com and a Dropbox account. I share my builds with my friends. My ftp server doesn't work any longer.
If I created a folder on my copy.com space and shared the folder as a public folder anyone with the link can browse the folder and download files using a Computer Internet browser. What I would like is that capability in the Backup addon. That way I could set the folder as a path then my friends can see what's in the folder and download using kodi. Here is an example of my public copy folder: https://www.copy.com/s/t%3AbEDFcxVeiAGRu...52FANDROID
I have been using the addon Dbmc. Would you somehow be able to integrate that addon. It's seems that addon is way easier to authorize.
Hi Rob,

I have found a bug (or more likely and oversight)...

When selecting NOT to backup the thumbnails/fanart but enabling Profile backup, it backups the thumbnails/fanart for the profiles.

Also, when we don't backup thumbnails, it shouldn't backup TexturesXX.db

-Pr.
[4 Kodi Clients + 4 Norco RPC-4224 Media Servers w/376 TB HDD Space]
(2015-10-16, 18:40)ed_davidson Wrote: Here is the idea. I have a copy.com and a Dropbox account. I share my builds with my friends. My ftp server doesn't work any longer.
If I created a folder on my copy.com space and shared the folder as a public folder anyone with the link can browse the folder and download files using a Computer Internet browser. What I would like is that capability in the Backup addon. That way I could set the folder as a path then my friends can see what's in the folder and download using kodi. Here is an example of my public copy folder: https://www.copy.com/s/t%3AbEDFcxVeiAGRu...52FANDROID
I have been using the addon Dbmc. Would you somehow be able to integrate that addon. It's seems that addon is way easier to authorize.

Ok, I see what you are getting at here. It is a pretty good idea as a "read only" solution. It's too bad some of these services don't offer like a WebDAV or other type of known interface for shared folders. As it stands I think a custom parser would have to be written for each vendor as their sites would all vary slightly. The copy.com one you posted is loading everything with Javascript in the background. Not having to go through the full oauth chain for "read only" type file systems would be a nice help for some people though.

(2015-10-16, 21:41)Pr.Sinister Wrote: Hi Rob,

I have found a bug (or more likely and oversight)...

When selecting NOT to backup the thumbnails/fanart but enabling Profile backup, it backups the thumbnails/fanart for the profiles.

Also, when we don't backup thumbnails, it shouldn't backup TexturesXX.db

-Pr.

Thanks for pointing that out. I've added this to the issues area on github and will test it out. I see what you mean about the Textures database. You'd want to rebuild that if you didn't upload your thumbnails. Right now I'm just dumping that whole folder when Databases are selected but I could probably catch that file with a regex or something before copying it.
(2015-10-19, 15:09)robweber Wrote:
(2015-10-16, 18:40)ed_davidson Wrote: Here is the idea. I have a copy.com and a Dropbox account. I share my builds with my friends. My ftp server doesn't work any longer.

Ok, I see what you are getting at here. It is a pretty good idea as a "read only" solution. It's too bad some of these services don't offer like a WebDAV or other type of known interface for shared folders. As it stands I think a custom parser would have to be written for each vendor as their sites would all vary slightly. The copy.com one you posted is loading everything with Javascript in the background. Not having to go through the full oauth chain for "read only" type file systems would be a nice help for some people

I can actually create a direct download link to public files in my copy.com and dropbox cloud space. I have seen this done using the noobs and nerds total installer addon for community builds. I could post you a link if you like?
PM me the link if you could. Thanks.
Done.
Hi Rob. I posted an issue here: Post: #1163. I tried to PM you but I can't for some reason. I can provide logs but don't want the link posted here as it contains login & passwords for my private server. I'm trying to use a secure connection for backups/restores but I can't seem to do it.

When using SFTP, Backup can read & download but can't write (backup) to my server. I was able to write using filezilla both in & outside of my network. (no errors in the log)

When using WebDav secure, Backup can see the restore zips but can't download (restore) them due to "script failed" error. Seems it doesn't try to attempt to grab them. Backup is able to write (backup) though. KODI can read & access the files in the zips using the file manager but Backup can't. Backup will only write & read but not download & restore the backups using WebDav. (there are errors in the log)

I've tried both compressed (zips) & uncompressed formats but same results.

Permissions are not an issue as I can read, write & download the files using other tools both in & outside of my network.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using OpenELEC 5.0.8
I've heard of issues with SFTP in the past but since I don't use it myself I can't say what they were. With the exception of cloud storage this addon i using the "xbmcvfs" python module - which just passing all calls to the Kodi virtual filesystem. In theory, anything the main Kodi file browser can do or have access to, this addon should as well.

Not sure why you can't PM but that may be a forum permissions thing. If you can search your log for "script.xbmcbackup" and then only post sections relevant to that it would help. Make sure to get an python errors.
(2015-10-27, 15:18)robweber Wrote: I've heard of issues with SFTP in the past but since I don't use it myself I can't say what they were. With the exception of cloud storage this addon i using the "xbmcvfs" python module - which just passing all calls to the Kodi virtual filesystem. In theory, anything the main Kodi file browser can do or have access to, this addon should as well.

Not sure why you can't PM but that may be a forum permissions thing. If you can search your log for "script.xbmcbackup" and then only post sections relevant to that it would help. Make sure to get an python errors.

Thanks for the response Rob! I finally got WebDav secure to work by adding a "source" in KODI & using "browse source" in Backup addon. Not sure why "typed" doesn't work in the Backup addon. Only problem with WebDav is the speed. It's roughly half of what I get with FTP, 95mbps (FTP) vs 52mbps (WebDav). But that's a limitation of WebDav. WebDav also deletes the older backup zips when selected, FTP doesn't.

Here is the log for when I used WebDav as "typed" and not added as a "source" in KODI:

NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup-1.0.6: Starting
16:15:16 T:1569711168 NOTICE: Thread LanguageInvoker start, auto delete: false
16:15:16 T:1569711168 NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
16:15:21 T:1569711168 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup-1.0.6: Starting
16:15:45 T:1569711168 NOTICE: Thread LanguageInvoker start, auto delete: false
16:15:45 T:1569711168 NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
16:15:48 T:1569711168 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup-1.0.6: Starting
16:17:13 T:1569711168 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup-1.0.6: Local Dir: /storage/.kodi/
16:17:13 T:1569711168 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup-1.0.6: Remote Dir: davs://xxxxx:[email protected]:xxxx/test/
16:17:13 T:1569711168 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup-1.0.6: Mode - Restore
16:17:13 T:1569711168 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup-1.0.6: copying zip file: 201510241608.zip
16:17:13 T:1569711168 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup-1.0.6: Writing files to: /storage/.kodi/temp/
16:17:13 T:1569711168 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup-1.0.6: Source: davs://xxxxx:[email protected]:xxxx/test/
16:17:13 T:1569711168 ERROR: CCurlFile::FillBuffer - Failed: HTTP returned error 404
16:17:13 T:1569711168 NOTICE: CCurlFile::FillBuffer - Reconnect, (re)try 1
16:17:14 T:1569711168 ERROR: CCurlFile::FillBuffer - Failed: HTTP returned error 404
16:17:14 T:1569711168 ERROR: CCurlFile::CReadState::Connect, didn't get any data from stream.
16:17:14 T:1569711168 ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
- NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
Error Type: <type 'exceptions.IOError'>
Error Contents: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/storage/.kodi/temp/201510241608.zip'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/storage/.kodi/addons/xbmcbackup-master/default.py", line 73, in <module>
backup.run(mode)
File "/storage/.kodi/addons/xbmcbackup-master/resources/lib/backup.py", line 311, in run
zip_vfs = ZipFileSystem(xbmc.translatePath("special://temp/"+ self.restore_point),'r')
File "/storage/.kodi/addons/xbmcbackup-master/resources/lib/vfs.py", line 84, in __init__
self.zip = zipfile.ZipFile(rootString,mode=mode,compression=zipfile.ZIP_DEFLATED,allowZip64=True)
File "/home/stephan/projects/openelec-5.0/build.OpenELEC-RPi2.arm-5.0.8/Python-2.7.3/.install_pkg/usr/lib/python2.7/zipfile.py", line 701, in __init__
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/storage/.kodi/temp/201510241608.zip'
-->End of Python script error report<--

################################################################################
# ... output of cat /storage/.kodi/temp/kodi.old.log
# OpenELEC release: RPi2.arm-5.0.8
#

The SFTP had no errors in the log. That portion of the log I posted on post 1163 on page 78 of this thread. I don't want to add to the length of this post.

Thanks for your time Rob.
Hi Rob,

Awesome addon man! Just discovered it after years of using Kodi too!

I basically clone my setup on friends and family's rigs over and over again and think I could save myself a ton of time with this.

Here is my question:

1. I created a compressed backup using your addon and manually uploaded it to my google drive account (as I couldn't figure out how to do it directly)

2. I then tried to restore from that drive folder in multiple ways. First I used the "type remote path" option. I put in the link that drive give you when you share a folder. I tried using that link with both the "can edit" and "only view" option. None worked. It just shows me a blank box and it says Backup folder name or something like that.

3. I tried the above but used the actual URL when I'm in that folder from my browser. Did not work.

4. I could not figure out how to use the Drive feature of your addon as I don't know my user id or secret code. Something to do with APIs?

Any help and guidance is appreciated. I think I can save a TON of time using this properly.
Currently using direct download public links isn't supported by Rob Webers addon. It might be something he is looking into. See my post #1171. I have found a current work around for a zipped restore only from Dropbox.
1) install the ADDON Dbmc and setup.
2) In file manager add and new source pointing to the temp folder on your machine (make sure hidden files and folders are selected)
3) use the dbmc addon to download the backup to Kodi temp folder.
4) use the backup addon to restore the zipped file from the temp folder.
5) pull the power to the box to get the GUISETTINGS to stick.
Hi

Kodi 15.2 Windows/Android systems

Created dropbox account and successfully created app on dropbox - put key/secret into backup addon - retrieved URL and enabled dropbox access - full permissions.

Run backup (in backup mode) to dropbox - failed with following log error:-

(Log)
17:27:23 T:5720 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup-1.0.6: Starting
17:27:23 T:5720 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup-1.0.6: Local Dir: C:/Users/Ron/AppData/Roaming/Kodi/
17:27:23 T:5720 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup-1.0.6: Remote Dir: /201510281727/
17:27:23 T:5720 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup-1.0.6: Mode - Backup
17:27:25 T:5720 ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
- NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
Error Type: <class 'resources.lib.dropbox.rest.ErrorResponse'>
Error Contents: [400] u"App folder (sandbox) access attempt failed because this app is not configured to have an app folder. Should your access type be 'dropbox' instead?"
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Ron\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.xbmcbackup\default.py", line 73, in <module>
backup.run(mode)
File "C:\Users\Ron\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.xbmcbackup\resources\lib\backup.py", line 162, in run
self.remote_vfs.mkdir(self.remote_vfs.root_path)
File "C:\Users\Ron\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.xbmcbackup\resources\lib\vfs.py", line 183, in mkdir
self.client.file_create_folder(directory)
File "C:\Users\Ron\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.xbmcbackup\resources\lib\dropbox\client.py", line 587, in file_create_folder
return self.rest_client.POST(url, params, headers)
File "C:\Users\Ron\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.xbmcbackup\resources\lib\dropbox\rest.py", line 260, in POST
return cls.IMPL.POST(*n, **kw)
File "C:\Users\Ron\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.xbmcbackup\resources\lib\dropbox\rest.py", line 207, in POST
post_params=params, headers=headers, raw_response=raw_response)
File "C:\Users\Ron\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.xbmcbackup\resources\lib\dropbox\rest.py", line 183, in request
raise ErrorResponse®
ErrorResponse: [400] u"App folder (sandbox) access attempt failed because this app is not configured to have an app folder. Should your access type be 'dropbox' instead?"
-->End of Python script error report<--

Can anybody point me toward what I am doing wrong

Many thanks for any help
(2015-10-27, 16:51)vudiff1 Wrote: Thanks for the response Rob! I finally got WebDav secure to work by adding a "source" in KODI & using "browse source" in Backup addon. Not sure why "typed" doesn't work in the Backup addon. Only problem with WebDav is the speed. It's roughly half of what I get with FTP, 95mbps (FTP) vs 52mbps (WebDav). But that's a limitation of WebDav. WebDav also deletes the older backup zips when selected, FTP doesn't.

Here is the log for when I used WebDav as "typed" and not added as a "source" in KODI:

Thanks for your time Rob.

That is really odd that the source type works but a typed one doesn't. The source string looks OK to me, although I don't use WebDav myself. Is the last ".com:XXX" the port? Guessing you're running it on a non-standard port? It has to be some underlying issue with how things are being passed to the Kodi filesystem layer but since you're just getting a 404 and not something more specific it's hard to say. Wonder if the server logs on the webdav side would show the full URL string Kodi is creating? Maybe the path is slightly off somehow? Since you have it working might not be worth spending the time on it.

(2015-10-28, 16:12)asipsis Wrote: Hi Rob,

Awesome addon man! Just discovered it after years of using Kodi too!

I basically clone my setup on friends and family's rigs over and over again and think I could save myself a ton of time with this.

Here is my question:

1. I created a compressed backup using your addon and manually uploaded it to my google drive account (as I couldn't figure out how to do it directly)

2. I then tried to restore from that drive folder in multiple ways. First I used the "type remote path" option. I put in the link that drive give you when you share a folder. I tried using that link with both the "can edit" and "only view" option. None worked. It just shows me a blank box and it says Backup folder name or something like that.

3. I tried the above but used the actual URL when I'm in that folder from my browser. Did not work.

4. I could not figure out how to use the Drive feature of your addon as I don't know my user id or secret code. Something to do with APIs?

Any help and guidance is appreciated. I think I can save a TON of time using this properly.

el_davidson's response on why the URL's aren't working is correct. The "typed path" option is not for URL strings but for manually typed share strings like "smb://.......". Adding a direct URL type isn't a bad idea though. Would be easy to download and then extract it.

The Drive and Dropbox direct features require you to create an app on those sites and generate the keys needed. See the README file for details.

(2015-10-28, 16:27)ed_davidson Wrote: Currently using direct download public links isn't supported by Rob Webers addon. It might be something he is looking into. See my post #1171. I have found a current work around for a zipped restore only from Dropbox.
1) install the ADDON Dbmc and setup.
2) In file manager add and new source pointing to the temp folder on your machine (make sure hidden files and folders are selected)
3) use the dbmc addon to download the backup to Kodi temp folder.
4) use the backup addon to restore the zipped file from the temp folder.
5) pull the power to the box to get the GUISETTINGS to stick.

I've known about the DBMC app for a while but didn't have time to look at the code. I see that somehow the author was able to put their own app key into production mode so that users don't need to create their own. This is interesting as I was denied production status 3 times for publishing the App key as part of the source code (as DBMC is doing). I'm contacting the author but maybe I should attempt to resubmit?

(2015-10-29, 01:07)lazylimey Wrote: Hi

Kodi 15.2 Windows/Android systems

Created dropbox account and successfully created app on dropbox - put key/secret into backup addon - retrieved URL and enabled dropbox access - full permissions.

Run backup (in backup mode) to dropbox - failed with following log error:-

Can anybody point me toward what I am doing wrong

Many thanks for any help

When creating the Dropbox App it must be an "App Folder" type of app and not the "Full Access" type. The Backup addon is expecting this type of access so it can create it's own folder. If the app type isn't correct you get an error.
Thanks for fast response

Awesome app!
Here is a couple of extra things Rob.
If you did implement the restore from URL function, how about not including the backup addon_data folder? This is because the backup has to be done to local drive. The restore would then be looking for this drive which may or may not exist.
How about having the addon split into 2. Backup and restore? That way the user can backup all his favs to local and then restore from cloud space without having to go into the settings and figure it out.
Still having issues with the path does not exist 90% of the time. Do you need another log to fix this, although with downloading the restore to the temp folder I just have to click restore twice, no big deal.
Awesome addon and probably the one that gets used the most by me. Keep up the good work.
  • 79(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup)10