Option to hide selective start menu options?
of course the weather is easy to find. but now i don't even have to search. even a lookup on weather.com i find a lot less nice..
and you never really know based on assumption what people use their xbmc for. as a home-theater, dashboard, in their truck\car or just for the weather.
i for one don't have a 50" screen nor do i have a newspaper...

i absolutely agree with gamester on a simple hide button in the gui. but this should count for every option (program\video\music\picture) as i for one never use the picture slideshow thing.
this will probably mean some changes in the skin structure and rewrites in the program.
whatHuhyou guys are using also the rest of the menus?? i bought a xbox,modded my xbox,installed xbmc only so i could use the weather funcion! so,please dont remove it!. :nuts:
and to whomever don't like it: just remove the button from the mainmenu (home.xml) and you won't notice that it is there (well maybe remove the weather controls from the settings xml too). :p
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
(heraldoffailure @ july 05 2004,10:32 Wrote:it's a waste of space and me thinks a waste of your time.
how someone is "wasting" his time is up to him. i waste my time with stuff i like. if someone is wasting his time on a weather feature, why shouldn't this be respected. he probably wasted hours to get it working. remember this is a hobby project.

in summary: if you don't like weather, don't use it or edit your skin and get rid of the button.

bobbin007
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

i love the weather feature, use it many times a week. i would prefer it to stay. i never use the files section myself, but i doubt i would get any support for asking to have it removed. anyway, in the end, it is very easy to remove it from the main window in the skin xml files. as more skins start appearing, i imagine some people will include weather there and some won't.
yeap. it is a lot more convient in the morning than to wait for the the local weather comes up on the weather channel on cable which only appears 3 times per hour and 3 minutes in durations.
i like the weather thing! it's a nice touch and as beautifully presented as the rest of the app.
Sad 
this discussion is moot since we won't remove my weather completly so merging thread with "option to hide selective start menu options"
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Lightbulb 
ooh what's all that about weather..  Shocked
well imho its fantastic!  :thumbsup:
i love it, i use it, i show it off!!!  :o
it a great looking feature and i wish i could have more than 3 locations. my fiends/family are scatered around the world and it's nice to see what their weather is like Smile
praise who first came up with it. praise who implemented it. shame to those who don't appreciate it ;-)
xbmc should be a all-in-one dashboard, customisable to peronal preference...  at least i hope it will be possible to use it like that and any neat feature is appreciated... be that via python or otherwise..
i say add as much functionality to xbmc as possible.. get coding guys, every little addon is much appreciated by at least 90% of us i'm sure :thumbsup:
the only trouble is that ui configuration might become more and more difficult so maybe a little helper program would be useful to solve this problem..
not only should weather stay, but as i've said before, i think it could benefit from some more content. i don't think anyone really has ever heard of 4-day forecasts for example. i'd like to see all the detail you can get on weather.com presented here. show me the days you have along with the option to highlight a day and see it hour-by-hour as you can on their site. i'd also like to be able to scroll and see the 10-day forecast, the radar maps and so forth.

i'm constantly traveling around and this feature alone makes for 50% of the reason i use xbmc.

as far as hiding the menus and such, frodo, with all due respect, it appears as if you're a typical coder in the sense that editing various files and such comes naturally to you. it doesn't to many others. the reason user interfaces exist and prosper is because most people prefer to use them. editing of configuration files should only be resorted to when absolutely necessary to work-around something major, in my opinion. i also feel it should be the goal of xbmc to present a user interface that allows for all features to be changed via the ui instead of requiring config file manipulation. it has nothing to do with laziness on the part of users and everything to do with intuitive design. it's like suggesting that the best way to heat up your lunch in the microwave is to go into the microwave's bios to change a setting. <grin>

think about it. tivo is successful and it provides access to all major functionality via the ui. same for virtually any popular consumer device.
hey!

for those who dont use xbmc's "file manager" my files. the main menu would look much nicer if we could disable "my files".

(this could apply to my weather and my programs as well if people dont want them on the main menu.. having the option to disable them i mean)

kepp up the good work!
greetz,

i don't connect my xbox to the internet, just my pc, so i never have use for internet features like weather or cddb. so, i was wondering if there is a way to disable and/or remove these options from the gui entirely?

apologies if this has been asked!

cheerz!
hi,

fyi if your pc is connected to internet (i guess it is :-)) then u can share ur internet connection to the xbox through the same link that's already between ur pc & xbox...

now if u definitely don't want it it's up to u to to make some tries removing some dir(s) from teh gui.

i am just wondering what's the point : saving 5 mo here and there won't improve anything...

cheers
thanks for your reply ludo2!

my reason for removing them isnt because of the space, but because of the semi-freeze i get when it tries to access the internet for whatever feature i accidentally selected. since i never plan on using features such as "weather", i just wanted to dump the choice entirely (like in evox).

cheerz again!
yes, it has been asked. did you search?

as for how to do it, currently the only way is by editting the skin. look in home.xml and remove the buttons you don't want. you'll have to change the positions of any other buttons, plus update the navigation system (<onup> etc.)

in a week or so we'll have the ability to do this from within xbmc with any luck.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Option to hide selective start menu options?0