Option to hide selective start menu options?
a global configuration option to disable all internet lookup functions would be possible.  there's currently one that just disables the rss reader.

all those functions (weather, rss, imdb, allmusic) use the same http code.  all we would need to do is check this option in the open method and have it return a bad status code immediately, instead of waiting for dns timeout, etc.

could even have it display a popup dialog box saying "sorry, internet lookup are currently disabled [ok]" or something like that.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
brilliant!

thanks, that is exactly what i was hoping for, just a simple way to tell xmbc that im not online and to never try and search beyond local shares for something.

appreciate all the input!

cheerz!
Exclamation 
(kraqh3d @ nov. 04 2004,21:49 Wrote:a global configuration option to disable all internet lookup functions would be possible.
that would be great, i have many friends who don't have the xbox hooked up to the internet and they all love a such simple option
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
i use weather think its very handy Smile new home page may give us more scope to redesign for all tastes

cheers
@Gamester17,

this is something i was about to code up until i ran into a little snag. while its trivial to do it the easy way i first described, after thinking about it for a bit, i decided its not the way to go.

the problem is that the user would get varying error messages if they accidently clicked on an internet based lookup function because each component reports errors differently. i feel this would confuse users.

to do it correctly, the "disable internet" option needs to be integrated into every function that calls a chttp method. this way a common message (or no message at all) could be produced in all windows.  [what do you think about this?  message or no message?  i'm leaning towards no message so the system just quietly ignore what you clicked on]

once i started going down this route, i realized it was a much larger task.  and i'm considering making them individual options, something like this:

- disable all internet lookups
- disable rss [this already exists]
- disable weather
- disable imdb lookup
- disable allmusic lookup

i'd make sure that "disable all internet lookups" would force all other options to be enabled.

yes, it would be nice to remove the functions from the menus as well, but that would take some serious recoding of the guilib.  the gui would need to account for missing buttons and automatically reposition the remaining buttons.  at the very least all the onup/ondown/onleft/onright information would need to be dynamically altered to prevent getting stuck on an invisible/non-existant control.
no message onscreen - just one in the logs is what i'd go for.

i'd prefer that if possible it could be kept as a single option - i don't see the point of cluttering up the settings screens with options when most people will probably just turn everything off (as the only reason you'd want the internet features off is if there was not a connection.) rss feeds are somewhat different, as i can see how they can get in the way for some peoples cases.

weather will be disable-able via the button scroller i'm almost finished working on.

my 2p.

cheers,
jonathan

Rainbow 
(kraqh3d @ nov. 08 2004,21:49 Wrote:yes, it would be nice to remove the functions from the menus as well, but that would take some serious recoding of the guilib.  the gui would need to account for missing buttons and automatically reposition the remaining buttons.  at the very least all the onup/ondown/onleft/onright information would need to be dynamically altered to prevent getting stuck on an invisible/non-existant control.
too bad, that would have been better looking and less confusing for the users. what if don't reposition but just hide the button(s)?

@jmarshall, i can see many people with internet wanting to hide/disable both my weather and rss but not imdb nor allmusic lookup, so maybe it would be best to make all those optional anyway
gamester: i made it clear in my post: my weather will be disableable with the button scroller stuff i'm doing, and rss feeds are already disable-able. other stuff will have a single switch (which will also switch off my weather + rss feeds). there's no point adding unnecessary options.

ok, here's what i'm gonna do then:

i'll add a new option called "disable internet lookups". i'll probably place the option in the same screen as where you configure ip address.

as jmarshall said, rss can already be disabled, and he's adding a seperate way to hide my weather.

i'll be travelling next week but i'll try to get a patch posted before then.
done... the patch is on sf.net:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker....=581840

a new configuration option to enable/disable internet lookups for weather, rss, allmusic.com, and imdb.com.
the weather feature is awsome.. i love it and use it.. but my request for it is to have an option in weather ehre you can stream a cam with a view of the city chosen or city of choice.
this would be good for skiers, snowboarders, surfers, travelers and so on.

amsome stuff..

love webradio too but is broken atm. (2004.11.15 build)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Option to hide selective start menu options?0