• 7(current)
[AudioEngine] Support for AE on Windows platform
Oh yes, sorry didn't notice.
Hello,
I have a question.

My sound card is a Creative Sound Blaster Recon3d.
In XBMC i choose, Analog Sound, and 5.1 Channel.

If i watch a movie with DTS 5.1 Sound, what will XBMC do with it? It will decode it and send a normal 5.1 Sound to the Sound Card?
(2012-06-03, 02:37)allants Wrote: I am an avid Eden user, and I can't wait to move to AE. I am using the 21020601 nightly build in an alternate directory on the same system I am running Eden.

I am unable to get the audio working using a set of test files. On the AE nightly build, the video stutters badly as well. (All of these files run great on Eden and MPC-HC.) I took one of these files, and stripped out the audio, and the video-only-mkv runs fine. This indicates my problem is likely due to AE. On an earlier nightly build, I did get audio, but the audio and video stuttered constantly. Here is a consistent error I get in the debug log (I have provided a link to the full log):

18:12:23 T:352 ERROR: CAESinkWASAPI::InitializeExclusive: Unable to initialize WASAPI in exclusive mode -2147024809 - (E_INVALIDARG).
18:12:23 T:352 INFO: CAESinkWASAPI::Initialize: Could not Initialize Exclusive with that format
18:12:23 T:352 ERROR: CAESinkWASAPI::Initialize: WASAPI initialization failed.

Hello there, at first thx for this beautifull program.... but same problem here. No problems with Eden, but with the last nightly builds the following errors in the log:

ERROR: CAESinkWASAPI::InitializeExclusive: Unable to initialize WASAPI in exclusive mode -2147024809 - (E_INVALIDARG).
ERROR: CAESinkWASAPI::Initialize: WASAPI initialization failed.

No sound at (DD, DTS DTS-MA) all and none of the randomly tried video works well, stuttering.
I followed the instruction for the correct settings: all WASAPI, exclusive mode (two checkboxes), disable soundeffects etc,,,,

Equipment used:
Motherboard: Gigabyte A75m-UD2H hd-audio capable with latest gigabyte realtek drivers (6.0.1.6519), hmdi 1.3 capable
Processor: AMD Liano 3850
Reciever: Onkyo 3008 (1,5 years old)

Am I forgetting something?

@boekhour - I had a similar problem, and found that AudioEngine did not like the RealTek drivers I had. I followed the advice at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1120326, and this fixed my problem. In short, I uninstalled all of the drivers, and just loaded the AMD version of the driver. It was provided to AMD by RealTek, but it was modified by AMD to work with my Radeon 6450.

Have you tried the driver available from Gigabyte? If that does not work, you could try the latest driver in ATI Catalyst 12.x. That is the one that worked for me. I recommend trying that one first. This Gigabyte is using a Radeon 6xxx series chipset http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-...28&dl=1#ov, so I would bet on that audio driver. Install it from device manager under "Sound, video, and game controllers". Browse into the extracted ATI image and find the audio driver. It should be the only sound driver installed.

Good luck!
I'm unable to get any files with HD audio to play correctly. When I play the files I get a horrifically low framerate and no audio. My reciever and graphics card (HD 6850) are both capable of passing through and processing the HD formats. Here's a debug log if it's any help:

http://pastebin.com/abqjeueZ

I'm using the latest AMD drivers (Catalyst 12.4) and the latest nightly build.
(2012-06-12, 11:41)tungmeister Wrote: I'm unable to get any files with HD audio to play correctly. When I play the files I get a horrifically low framerate and no audio. My reciever and graphics card (HD 6850) are both capable of passing through and processing the HD formats. Here's a debug log if it's any help:

http://pastebin.com/abqjeueZ

I'm using the latest AMD drivers (Catalyst 12.4) and the latest nightly build.

try disable DXVA
Does your audio setup in Windows show up as 5.1 hand all your supported audio
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
hello DDDamian, I post a thread where I explain some problem I had with recent nighlties...then I found out this thread and observe some weird comportement on my system sound drivers...so I think maybe you could help me configure it right so I can install latest nighlty....
for the problem: - sometimes xbmc crash right at the start ( can't even go in ) and I have to restart computer
- slow fps in menu ( maybe not AE related )
- after streaming some stuff, no sound anymore and video are very laggy ( see in this thread also) had to restart xbmc to work
- when launching application ( like pc game ) with advance launcher, xbmc crash all by himself ( while I'm playing)
- my windows 7 sound driver switch all by themself ( it's normally my hdmi ati output but it switch to realtek drivers which is attach to my stereo...)
So I think latest build switch my windows sound drivers without me knowing and then make everything else buggy, that's why sound disapeared etc...

Do I have to use my realtech driver ( which I update after reading your thread ) instead of my hdmi output ( ati 6950 with latest driver) to get this done? ( in windows I mean and then in xbmc...)
must I disconnect internal chip in bios?
you can find my log in this tread ( it's mediafire because paste bin wouldn't let me post log that are >500 kb sorry about that)

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=133839

thanks for your answers
cheers
(2012-06-12, 04:52)allants Wrote: @boekhour - I had a similar problem, and found that AudioEngine did not like the RealTek drivers I had. I followed the advice at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1120326, and this fixed my problem. In short, I uninstalled all of the drivers, and just loaded the AMD version of the driver. It was provided to AMD by RealTek, but it was modified by AMD to work with my Radeon 6450.

Have you tried the driver available from Gigabyte? If that does not work, you could try the latest driver in ATI Catalyst 12.x. That is the one that worked for me. I recommend trying that one first. This Gigabyte is using a Radeon 6xxx series chipset http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-...28&dl=1#ov, so I would bet on that audio driver. Install it from device manager under "Sound, video, and game controllers". Browse into the extracted ATI image and find the audio driver. It should be the only sound driver installed.

Good luck!

@allants - Having loaded margro's recent build of the PVR branch with AE code from the master builds I'm getting exactly the same WASAPI " failure to initialise " error as boekhour and suffering extremely low framerates on SD and HD video(4-5 frames per second). I'm also using a Fusion motherboard (MSI E45) with integrated Radeon 6310 graphics and HDMI output. I could only ever get 5.1 audio configuration (up to 192kHz and 24 bit depth) and HDCP support on this board by using the separate Realtek drivers. The one included in the Catalyst downloads don't seem to set up the audio properly. I've gone back and deleted the Realtek drivers as per the other thread and tried to get the MS drivers to work, but I could only get basic two channel audio at 44.1 or 48 kHz. I've scoured the MSI website, but they are just offering Realtek drivers. There's absolutely nothing on the AMD website about sound driver support which is a bit of a "cop-out" on their part given all the blurb about HD audio support on the Fusion platform. It's even worse in Linux - nothing over two channel HD (high bitrate) audio supported there.

I wonder is this WASAPI problem on Fusion mobos going to be a continuing issue for AE? I have no problems using WASAPI in the Eden builds - great multichannel PCM support right up to 192kHz, and in passthrough my Onkyo handles all the different formats.

@fat-tony -- I am just a novice user, but I will try to help. Set your expectations low! Can you set your system to create a debug log, and post it at http://xbmclogs.com? If you need instructions, see http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Debug_log.

I don't think the Catalyst install works very hard to install the right audio driver. They do not package it separately, or talk about it at all. The way I installed it ... from device manager, I browsed for the driver within the Catalyst image it puts at C:\AT (I think)I. I had to dig several folders down. I can check later for the location if you can't find it. I don't have access to my HTPC at the moment, but will later.

Let me know the link to the debug log, and your current status, when you are ready.

@allants - thanks for offering to help. Here's the link to the debug log - http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=3558

I've been using xbmc (as openelec) on my system for some time, but linux HDMI sound driver support for the Fusion (ATI/AMD) platform is pretty rubbish, which is why I moved over to a Windows 8 build instead. The Eden builds have been fine and I have been running margro's PVR builds as I have a USB DVB-T tuner. In the past couple of days he has made a build available based on AE, so that is why I tried it. I had already tried Daniela's inititial HD build some months ago which eventually made it into AE via gnif and DDDamien's sterling work. I didn't have any issue with Daniela's build at the time.

After deleting the Realtek drivers earlier I went through pretty much all the Catalyst folders in a search for a suitable ATI driver but nothing worked. When the standard MS drivers are in use the HDMI audio device seems to be limited to two channels, 16 bits and up to 48kHz sampling rate with no HDCP. It's only when I load the Realtek 2.67 HDMI exe that I get the ability to have Windows set up 5.1 audio at up to 192 kHz sampling rate and 24 bit depth. DDDamien may be along shortly with a comment!

I've definitely got exclusive mode set in the configuration - works a treat with Eden code!
@fat-tony - DDDamien would be the expert, but I think he is taking a well deserved break right now. I am using Windows 7, so it could be possible that the Catalyst driver is not stable on Win 8 yet. The standard windows driver did not support all of the audio formats. Your debug log looks similar to my old one in terms of trying to interface with WASAPI.

Here are some things to check: (doing this from Win 7)
1. Open Device Manager
2. Expand Sound, video and game controllers
3. The first item is "AMD High Definition Audio Device"; the second one is disabled (intentionally) - "High Definition Audio Device"
4. If I right-click on the AMD one, and select Properties, then select Driver Tab. My version is: Advanced Micro Devices, Date 10/18/2011, Version 7.12.0.7704
5. If I selected Details Details button, the AMD driver name is AthdW76.sys. The other drivers are all Microsoft.
6. If I click Update Driver, I find the source of my driver at C:\ATI\Support\11-12_vista7_64_dd_ccc_ocl\Packages\Drivers\WDM\HDMICE\W764a; the INF is AtihdW76.inf.

If you can, try this driver or at least check the version loaded in Device Manager. It should be the only sound device you have enabled.

Then try this:
1. Right-click on the "speaker" in your taskbar, and select Playback devices
2. The only device listed should be "AMD HDMI Output"
3. Click configure, make sure the correct surround configuration is highlighted and test it. I use 7.1.
4. Select Next and all the correct speakers should be selected, click Next and Finish
5. Now click Properties and make sure that info is correct
6. Select Supported Formats tab, verify the sample rates and formats are expected
7. Select Levels tab and set it to 100%
8. Select the Enhancements tab and "Disable all enhancements"
9. Select Advance, check both Exclusive Mode boxes and test the Default Format. My Onkyo can only do 7.1 at 24b/96KHz so I had to move it from 192KHz.

Let me know what you find if you try this.

Good luck!
Playing back any videos with AE (wasapi) and Sync playback to display (regardless of sync method) results in massive dropped frames, and bizzare framerate fluctuations. The outputted rate will constantly bounce under and over the display rate by a small amount (video at 23.976, display at 23.976, output varies between 23.5 and 24.01). Switching to directsound (sync to display, audio clock) solves the issue (perfect video sync, no dropped frames). Tested with aac and ac3 audio tracks (decoding and passthrough respectively).

Realtek SPDIF output as output device and passthrough device, 4.1 channels selected (should I be picking 2.0 for spdif?)
Nvidia geforce gtx560ti videocard
Intel i5-2500k @ 3.5ghz
16gb ddr3
Windows 7 64bit.

I have a feeling I'm missing something, but maybe this is a bug?
Would it be possible to mix an input audio stream into a currently playing video?

I had an idea about XBMC having a driver for windows that acted as a virtual speaker.

XBMC would then mix the stereo sound into the audio stream XBMC is playing.
TheTVDB.com moderator
(2012-06-14, 00:37)allants Wrote: @fat-tony - DDDamien would be the expert, but I think he is taking a well deserved break right now. I am using Windows 7, so it could be possible that the Catalyst driver is not stable on Win 8 yet. The standard windows driver did not support all of the audio formats. Your debug log looks similar to my old one in terms of trying to interface with WASAPI.

Here are some things to check: (doing this from Win 7)
1. Open Device Manager
2. Expand Sound, video and game controllers
3. The first item is "AMD High Definition Audio Device"; the second one is disabled (intentionally) - "High Definition Audio Device"
4. If I right-click on the AMD one, and select Properties, then select Driver Tab. My version is: Advanced Micro Devices, Date 10/18/2011, Version 7.12.0.7704
5. If I selected Details Details button, the AMD driver name is AthdW76.sys. The other drivers are all Microsoft.
6. If I click Update Driver, I find the source of my driver at C:\ATI\Support\11-12_vista7_64_dd_ccc_ocl\Packages\Drivers\WDM\HDMICE\W764a; the INF is AtihdW76.inf.

If you can, try this driver or at least check the version loaded in Device Manager. It should be the only sound device you have enabled.

Then try this:
1. Right-click on the "speaker" in your taskbar, and select Playback devices
2. The only device listed should be "AMD HDMI Output"
3. Click configure, make sure the correct surround configuration is highlighted and test it. I use 7.1.
4. Select Next and all the correct speakers should be selected, click Next and Finish
5. Now click Properties and make sure that info is correct
6. Select Supported Formats tab, verify the sample rates and formats are expected
7. Select Levels tab and set it to 100%
8. Select the Enhancements tab and "Disable all enhancements"
9. Select Advance, check both Exclusive Mode boxes and test the Default Format. My Onkyo can only do 7.1 at 24b/96KHz so I had to move it from 192KHz.

Let me know what you find if you try this.

Good luck!

Well done young sir! (all ages are relative to me at 58 Big Grin)

I thought I had gone down this track yesterday in my quest to replace the Realtek drivers, but I discovered this morning that I was operating on the wrong "High Definition Audio Device" Confused

When I uninstalled the Realtek HDMI Output device (and deleted the drivers) and then re-scanned in Device Manager, Windows helpfully changed the order of the two "High Definition Audio Device" s. The other one is the S/PDIF. So, when I was trying to update the found MS drivers with the AMD ones, I was trying to install the HDMI drivers on the S/PDIF controller Confused

This morning, I carefully checked the vendor and device id's before removing the Realtek drivers. Then I made sure I was on the correct device before installing the AMD set from the Catalyst \Packages\Drivers\WDM\HDMICE directory. The only difference in my case is that I'm using 32-bit Windows 8 and the driver is AtihdW73.sys instead of W76.

For the moment I've left the current Eden version of xbmc in place and I've checked that all my HD sound (such that it is) and video are working correctly - so far so good. I'll install the AE version later once I can get access to the TV again!

It seems odd that the Catalyst installer package does not handle this correctly and you have to resort to manual install?

Thanks again, allants

Further update 14:00 - have re-installed margro's PVR build with AE and all sound formats are working fine, as well as HD video. The issue was definitely the Realtek drivers - the ones from AMT/ATI in the Catalyst package sort out the problem. The xbmc log is now clear - no errors reported in initialising WASAPI. The only observation I would make is that CPU utilisation is high at over 70% when playing music in PAPlayer (no visualisations running). I saw a comment from DDDamien earlier in the thread about this. It's possible margro took an earlier version of the AE code (from mid-May).
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AudioEngine] Support for AE on Windows platform4