Small bedroom HTPC
It does 1080p fine...doesn't matter what bitrate the encode is, it can handle it...also does Netflix HD if your a subscriber already or thinking about it. Both cases the HT-XX or the Wesena look nice, if money is no object...sure go for the more expensive case, if your planning to do multiple builds like you mentioned...it can get really expensive. Getting an M350 case with picoPSU and adapter for 69.99 with free shipping, a biostar h61 with IR and Remote for 79.99 with free shipping will be cheaper than getting any of the cases mentioned above, not to mention the $10-$12 more to ship a Wesena case with an OVERKILL 150W powersupply.
Sometimes, the cheapest thing possible isn't what everyone's after. When you're already spending hundreds of dollars it doesn't make a lot of sense (to me anyway) to save $10-$20 and end up with the bottom of the barrel just to save money. Each to their own. Everyone gets a thrill out of this hobby for a different reason whether it's putting together something as cheaply as possible, going overkill or somewhere in between.
(2012-05-30, 16:27)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Sometimes, the cheapest thing possible isn't what everyone's after. When you're already spending hundreds of dollars it doesn't make a lot of sense (to me anyway) to save $10-$20 and end up with the bottom of the barrel just to save money. Each to their own. Everyone gets a thrill out of this hobby for a different reason whether it's putting together something as cheaply as possible, going overkill or somewhere in between.
+1.......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Dougie, what have we talked about that is bottom of the barrel? I don't want to save money just to save money, but I don't want to spend anymore than necessary to build a box with acceptable performance and aesthetics. Right now, I'm leaning towards this:

[MOBO]BIOSTAR TH61ITX+RCH ($80 + $0)
[CPU]Intel Celeron G530 Sandy Bridge 2.4GHz ($50 + $0)
[RAM]G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) ($28 + $0)
[SSD]OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB ($70 + $0)
[CASE+PSU]M350 Enclosure with PicoPSU-80 and 60W adapter KIT ($69 + $0)

Total: $297. I could go higher if it's worth it, but "under $300" is a much easier sell to the wife. Wink
(2012-05-30, 23:38)jcato Wrote: Dougie, what have we talked about that is bottom of the barrel? I don't want to save money just to save money, but I don't want to spend anymore than necessary to build a box with acceptable performance and aesthetics. Right now, I'm leaning towards this:

My comment was mostly a rant about a particular side of the hobby where the challenge always seems to be "as cheap as possible". But, that's just my opinion. To some, that's the fun of it. For me and in my experience, it leads to buyer's remorse and upgrading in the not-so-distant future to what was wanted in the first place. I've done it myself plenty of times -- "hey, it was on sale!" instead of getting what I want. It ends up costing more in the end.

For this specific build and for my particular preferences/style/aesthetics, Biostar products are not something I would buy. The M350 as an HTPC case would be less than ideal and not something I would consider either.

With all sincerity, if you're ok with Biostar and like the look of the M350 or even if you don't but that's what you want to spend then good on you. The rest is merely my opinion. It's your wallet Smile.

(2012-05-30, 23:38)jcato Wrote: Dougie, what have we talked about that is bottom of the barrel? I don't want to save money just to save money, but I don't want to spend anymore than necessary to build a box with acceptable performance and aesthetics. Right now, I'm leaning towards this:

[CPU]Intel Celeron G530 Sandy Bridge 2.4GHz ($50 + $0)
[CASE+PSU]M350 Enclosure with PicoPSU-80 and 60W adapter KIT ($69 + $0)
I'm not sure that the included 60W Pico is enough for 65W CPU+iGPU......you might have problem during power spike.....
Aaaaand......this is why I never really never post or comment on forums, you try to help some one out and there's always someone with a negative opinion. Just to put things in perspective, I would never post or suggest any hardware or any configuration that I dont have experience with If I say it works and works well, that means I've built it, and had great success with it. Im not gonna go and google stuff, benchmarks, etc. or read reviews on NewEgg and post like I know what the hell Im talking about. If I can help, I'll help....if not I'll stay out of the post. Jcato wanted a specific build....multiple builds for multiple rooms in his house....what I took from that...1: The man has a family, 2: The specs he posted were similar to Celeron and Pentium Builds I've worked with, 3: How can I give him the best bang for his hard earned buck, Cause I assure you, not everyone can afford a $100+ case, I know for a damn fact I can't. Just because an Item is on sale or cheaper $$$$ doesn't mean it's cheaply made. Biostar is one of the most popular brands in the WORLD, saying that it's not a reliable brand is just crazy. I also remember about 3 years ago everyone saying....Don't buy Asrock, Don't buy Asrock, buy Asus or Gigabyte....and now....Almost every build here has an Asrock motherboard. Jcato feel free to PM me for help if you need help setting up your system, If I can help, I'll help....If I can't, I'll make sure I point you in the right direction. Im out this Thread.
Oh, cry me a river. Someone disagrees with your picks and you throw a temper tantrum? Give me a break. So what?

I am pretty sure I clarified that what has and hasn't worked for me is based on my experiences. It wasn't about you. None of this is.

Ultimately, it's up the OP to decide what to do with their "hard earned buck" and where they find value. If they have a few alternatives based different perspectives and experiences (like in this thread) then it's all the better. If it doesn't agree with your picks too bad. It's going to happen.

I've added +1 to your rep for best tantrum.

---

jcato: here's my bedroom HTPC build. Perhaps you'll find it useful to compare and you're open to differing views.

Intel Celeron G530
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=G530
$41.99 - $5 code "ZAMBONI" + shipping

Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3 (again, no blinking LED in S3 sleep - good for bedroom)
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GA-H61N-U...B005SCYHV8
$79.99

Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333 low-profile RAM
http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-ValueRAM-...002K23V1Q/
$23.99

Crucial m4 128GB SSD (I need to extra space for recorded TV before it's swept to the server -- if you don't then 60-64GB is perfect)
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-Inch-S...004W2JKZI/
$109.99
I also have Gelid Slim Silence i-Plus cooler in a Realan E-I5 case and an external USB IR receiver/remote (got the real MS remote off ebay for $25!). I don't need an ODD.

If you want an ODD or the possibility of one, the HT80 has a slot load opening and it can be had with the IR receiver/remote.

I've had several different cases I've tried on the "dresser-top" from the RS-MI-01 BK to the PC-Q07, each with it's pluses and minuses.

I've used the G530, ASUS P8H61-I and -M and that Kingston RAM in at least a dozen builds and found them to be 100% reliable. I've hand tested the G503, G540, G630 and i3-2100 and found them to perform in no noticeably different way for HTPC duties (watching movies, TV, etc.). Same can be said for school duties such as using MS Office or surfing the net (8 of the aforementioned builds were for a local school -- the rest were HTPCs or office PCs).

Again though, and still with all sincerity, if the Biostar/M350 works for you and you feel comfortable with it you should pick that one. I really means this -- there's no sarcasm or ego here. Ultimately, it's your $$$ and what you feel comfortable, what functionality you want, etc. and where you balance it. Hopefully the differing views help show you a few ways you can go.

(2012-05-31, 01:20)homewrek Wrote: Aaaaand......this is why I never really never post or comment on forums, you try to help some one out and there's always someone with a negative opinion. Just to put things in perspective, I would never post or suggest any hardware or any configuration that I dont have experience with If I say it works and works well, that means I've built it, and had great success with it. Im not gonna go and google stuff, benchmarks, etc. or read reviews on NewEgg and post like I know what the hell Im talking about. If I can help, I'll help....if not I'll stay out of the post.
Man.....when OP posted this "Any other suggestions?". I'm sure he don't mind suggestion. Dougie Fresh simply offerred his opinions. He might have bad experiences with stuffs he mentioned in here.

Most of us have built and owned G530 and G620, and we posted the reviews to assure OP that others had sucessfully built it too. Do you think that eSkro built everything in his "Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start?" list? Probably not, but he had enough experiences to generate the list, and it is very valuable to new builder. Do you think all technical support person at Dell, Intel, AMD, etc built every PC that they suggested to their customer? Of course not........but they have enough experiences with it to know what works......
why all the hostility guys
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
any progress with your build
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Small bedroom HTPC0