• 3(current)
Realan E-I5 A6-3500 build
(2012-07-10, 18:00)_RT_ Wrote: jangjong-
Curious how much room you have between the cooler and the SSD.
I'm also curious if this fan was ever considered:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...U%20Cooler
It's only 3 mm bigger than the one you used.

I'm also not convinced it would fit with your MB.

I still love the E-I5, but I want to make sure fan speeds and noise are under control.
This HTPC will be within 3 feet of where the family sits and I really don't want to hear the sound of a fan.

The 5th picture from the top should show how much space I got in between the cooler and the ssd. Not going to lie, it's not much. 3mm may be a bit too tight.
(2012-07-10, 18:00)_RT_ Wrote: This HTPC will be within 3 feet of where the family sits and I really don't want to hear the sound of a fan.
That is more of a desktop PC distance than a HTPC distance......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-07-10, 18:46)bluray Wrote:
(2012-07-10, 18:00)_RT_ Wrote: This HTPC will be within 3 feet of where the family sits and I really don't want to hear the sound of a fan.

Meaning what? I'll hear any fan at that range?

The NT07-AM2 and Scythe Kozuti both have 80mm fans so I am not sure if there is a "noise" advantage of one over the other unless with the bigger heatsink of the Kozuti the fan will run slower.

I have my doubts about if at 40mm it will fit in the E-i5. The literature I have specifies a "M/B Height Under 42mm , Install 1*2.5" HDD" but that's very unclear to me if that include the motherboard or not. I'll see if I can get a better answer.
(2012-07-10, 22:48)Dougie Fresh Wrote: The NT07-AM2 and Scythe Kozuti both have 80mm fans so I am not sure if there is a "noise" advantage of one over the other unless with the bigger heatsink of the Kozuti the fan will run slower.

I have my doubts about if at 40mm it will fit in the E-i5. The literature I have specifies a "M/B Height Under 42mm , Install 1*2.5" HDD" but that's very unclear to me if that include the motherboard or not. I'll see if I can get a better answer.

The heatsink was what caught my eye.
I'm still focused on an E-i5 build, but I get concerned about noise levels. I also realize everyone's perception of what classifies as loud is different.
For example, I have a PS3 that I currently use to play video files. When that fan is on high, I consider it loud and definitely want something quieter than that for watching flicks.

I'm also in a position where I can consider I larger case if that helps with cooling.

Hurry up and get the black cases in so I can stop thinking about this. lol. Cool
I know, I can't stand how long they are taking! Usually it's much quicker than this!
(2012-07-10, 20:22)_RT_ Wrote:
(2012-07-10, 18:46)bluray Wrote:

I'm trying to say it is too close to call it HTPC. I sit further than that in front of my office computer monitor. It's not good for you eyes to watch blu-ray at 3', and you can not enjoy the surround sound either....if you sit 8' or further from HDTV, you're more likely not hearing any fan noise.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-07-11, 05:04)bluray Wrote:
(2012-07-10, 20:22)_RT_ Wrote:
(2012-07-10, 18:46)bluray Wrote: That is more of a desktop PC distance than a HTPC distance......

I'm trying to say it is too close to call it HTPC. I sit further than that in front of my office computer monitor. It's not good for you eyes to watch blu-ray at 3', and you can not enjoy the surround sound either....if you sit 8' or further from HDTV, you're more likely not hearing any fan noise.....

Now I understand. The problem is that I have all my audio/video equipment in a small entertainment center next to the couch.
Cables are all routed through the wall to the TV in the front of the room.
I have a perfect distance to my 50" plasma and I have it hung at eye level when sitting on the couch.
But I'll be keeping my HTPC in the cabinet next to the couch. It's all open (for good airflow), but I get worried about noise.
I'll just risk it and see what happens.
Just got word the E-i5s are delayed. They delivered them to the wrong address -- somewhere in NY. I guess that would explain why they are overdue. A new shipment has been sent and should be here next week mid-week.
(2012-07-11, 16:47)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Just got word the E-i5s are delayed. They delivered them to the wrong address -- somewhere in NY. I guess that would explain why they are overdue. A new shipment has been sent and should be here next week mid-week.

Someone must of been like HUH?

Tongue

Bummer....
Ugh.... the wait on the E-I5's is killing me! Smile
It's torture. Tongue
(2012-05-29, 18:49)jangjong Wrote: Hello guys, I recently changed my case from MI-008 to E-I5.. and just wanted to share some pictures with you guys.. because we all love looking at pictures of some HTPC's!

First, here's the spec and the link of where i got them:

CPU: A6-3500 - http://www.microcenter.com/single_produc...id=0375726
COOLER: SilverStone NT07-AM2 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NPE...00_s00_i00
MB: ASRock A75M-ITX - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813157273
RAM: Samsung 2x2GB DDR3-1600 - http://www.microcenter.com/single_produc...id=0380718
SSD: Crucial M4 64GB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820148441
CASE: Realan E-I5 - http://www.ecosmartpc.com/ei5.html

So, like I said before, I had MI-008 with the stock cpu cooler.. I don't know why but I wasn't just too happy with MI-008. Here's a picture of my older

Wow. I did not realize how dusty this looks lol anyway. That was my original build. Eh. nothing special just MI-008. I didn't have any problems with it, but for some reason, I wanted something small.. so I bought this case:

Oh btw, thanks to Doug for helping me out getting this case! He was the seller of the case.. and he gave me lotta information! haha

Anyway, just to compare how big this case is, I decided to take some size comparison pictures. I actually own Thermaltake Lanbox Lite too.. so I just thought this would be nice comparison to see how big it is..

FYI, if you're thinking about getting LanBox Lite.. think again.. It is actually pretty huge in my opinion lol. Very wide.. it feels wider than my normal mid-tower PC.. anyway. back to my htpc.

I was using the stock cooler originally, but I thought it maybe too tall for the new case.. so I thought of getting Scythe coolers.. but those sounded like they'd be too tall too, and Doug recommended me NT07-AM2. Cheap. fairly quiet. I like it. Here is a picture of how much clearance i get with the new cooler:

Not much, but I think it should be much better than the stock cooler.. and here is the picture of everything inside and unnecessary cables removed (except for the ssd cause it goes on top of it)

If you guys don't know already, good cable management can help getting good air flow..

And here is the final result:

I should probably get some furniture instead of just keeping this on the carpet floor lol but oh well.

So far, I'm getting a good temperature.. When I run Prime95, it does go up to 50 C lol but when it's idle, it hits 28 C and when i'm playing 1080p ripped video (file size is about 13 gb), it goes up to maybe 32c ~35c

I was curious about your experience with the Samsung memory. I want to buy that same memory for my build because I like how low profile it is as well as its lower voltage. I also read its quite overcloackable. I have the same mb on order so I wanted to know what speed you have the memory set at. Any info you could share would be appreciated.
(2012-07-16, 02:27)joelwatsonfish Wrote: Ugh.... the wait on the E-I5's is killing me! Smile

Tracking shows they are in Boston and should be delivered Wednesday! Yay!
(2012-07-16, 05:49)FNwoz Wrote: I was curious about your experience with the Samsung memory. I want to buy that same memory for my build because I like how low profile it is as well as its lower voltage. I also read its quite overcloackable. I have the same mb on order so I wanted to know what speed you have the memory set at. Any info you could share would be appreciated.

I haven't tried overclocking them. Even if other people say it's overclockable, I wouldn't do it since it doesn't have the heatsink. Not sure what speed I have it at though. I just left the default setting.. I'm thinking about under clocking the cpu or ram to use less energy and generate less heat.

I use these ram for my unRAID server as well. The one that I use for my unRAD server is 1333 version of it though. Still works out quite nicely.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Realan E-I5 A6-3500 build0