DVD-Video on HDD organized into database
black from title view deletes it per-movie.

otherwise, delete the myvideos*.db file from the albums/ folder.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

i have a video server the contains directories for each of my dvds. at first i simply ripped the vob and ifo files to the root of each of these directories and and then used xbmc to navigate to the dvds directory and then click on the video_ts.ifo file to start the movie.

this was a problem when playing back dvds with a pc as the software dvd players i have will not play the dvd unless the vobs are in the video_ts directory under the dvds directory.

so i created a video_ts directory under all my dvd directories. my structure looks something like this

dvd
action
hackers
video_ts
video_ts.ifo
vts_01_0.ifo
vts_01_1.vob
eraser
video_ts
video_ts.ifo
vts_01_0.ifo
vts_01_1.vob
animation
shrek
video_ts
video_ts.ifo
vts_01_0.ifo
vts_01_1.vob

etc

so now i have to navigate to the dvds directory, click into the video_ts directory and then click the video_ts.ifo file.

is there any way to get xbmc to detect if there is a video_ts directory in the directory you are navigating into and if there is, do not navigate into it, simply play the dvd contained within it?

so if i want to watch eraser i want to be able to click on eraser directory and have it automatically start the movie.

there is already some filtering going on as if a video_ts.ifo files exists in a directory then all other files are hidden. so some special processing of these files times is taking place. i would like to see this processing done a little higher in the directory browing.

can this possibly be done using the scripts feature within xbmc??

shawn

so, you're complaining about two clicks?

but, yes, its possible and i've been thinking about it. xbmc would need to enter every folder to see if there's a video_ts within or a video_ts.ifo file. if there's a video_ts folder, it would need to enter it and then check for video_ts.ifo. if either of those tests pass, the folder item could be changed into a regular item which starts the video_ts.ifo file. of course this will slow down xbmc, but i cant say by how much.

and if you just scan your dvd folder, all your dvd movies will be added to the database, and you wont need to complain about the two extra clicks...
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
it works fine... just scan the folders.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
i know... i fixed that not too long ago Smile
i scanned my folders and most items scanned fine. however, some did not.

i have copied all my stargate dvd's onto my hd as well. i did this in a way where every episode was a separate dvd. so i gave a folder ike this

series
stargate
season 1
episode 1: children of the gods
episode 2: the enemy within
season 2
episode 01-the serpent's lair

when the database scans this it get weird information.

so i tried to add the information manualy but it seems that all the manual operation does is to fine tune your query for a imdb entry, you still have to pick one from the list. can you not manually add one that is not in the list returned?

i don't suppose there are any tools or apis to manipulate this directory so i can write my own program to add these entries?

shawn
yeah. there's two underlying problems... 1) the database was never designed for tv shows, and 2) we only get information from imdb.com so scanning tv shows usually yeilds very bad results.

you can manually edit the database to correct alot of this, but its not that easy. the database is sqlite. any tools which use an external sqlite3.dll can edit the database. but you need to download our custom compiled version of the dll, found here:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs....rev=1.1

if you write a tool to modify the database on the pc, please let us know.
i did manage to write my own app to add these shows to the database. however, i did not use the special version of sqlite that you mentioned.

i opened the db file in a text editir and found he header saying sqlite format 3

so i just downloaded version 3_2_7 and was able query the tables so all looked good. do you think i will have a problem using this version of sqliteHuh

i wrote a program in borland c++ builder that allows me scan in a directory full of dvds.

it actualy only scans for directory names and then uses that name as the title for the dvd when adding it to the database. i can add genres and then select which genres to include to the scanned dvds.

i also allow entry of a name to pre-pend to the directory name. i also allow the entry of a name for the imdb xml file

this works for me as if you look at my structure above, if i scan in season 1 the follwoing occurs. the directory names are the names of the individual episode. the program scans these names, adds my prepended text (stargate sg1: season1-) and adds it to sci-fi, action, and series genres. i then create one imdb file for each season and use the same one for every directory scanned.

i could make it more flexible but it worked perfect for what i needed.

i think i will keep working on it to allow browing and editing of the db from a pc. would anyone else be interested in such a tool?

shawn

i certainly would.

assuming you mean a program that lets you view/edit/create the video database easily from your pc - scanning normally causes problems for me.
the standard version will work but it depends on when your database was created. newer versions of xbmc change a constant which will cause the standard version of sqlite3 to bomb out.
ok, i was just asking about this in the help forum. so i see it must be possible but cant figure out how to "scan" my folders (shared via smb) so that xbmc sees my "movie name" folders as an item and not a folder.

current structure:
dvd/movie name/video_ts/video_ts.ifo

want xbmc to show an item named "movie name" instead of a folder for each dvd

thank you
check out the best dvd editing software available: dvd remake pro
Best CD Ripper Available (better then EAC): dbpoweramp R12 reference

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVD-Video on HDD organized into database0