• 2(current)
MCE Remote Turn ON HTPC FOUND! w/DONGLE in front of your CASE!
looks like your IR receiver supports the "MCIR keyboard protocol" ,,,
thats why it allows to cold boot the A75M-ITX mobo!!

so i guess these would also be good to buy aswell
- AVS Gear MG-IR01BK
- Rosewill RRC-126
From what I'm reading you need to have the combination of the Asrock motherboard and this type of dongle for it to work correct?

My MSI E350A1-E45 says it only supports power on from S5 using PS/2 so I'm thinking I need to get a SIMEREC.COM but there's no way I'm dropping $40.00 more on this budget build. I might as well take that $40.00 and buy a G530 spend an additional $90.00 on a new ITX board and try to sell my MSI board.

XBMC specs: MINIX U9-H LibreELEC 4K all day

Home Theater - Samsung 65KS8000 - Denon 3200- Ascend Acoustics speakers - Maelstrom 18in sealed sub 7cu ft - Behringer EP2500

UNraid Server – Pentium G3258 – MSI - H81M-P33 – Antec HCG-400M PS - 8Gb RAM
Just a question..... This is great and all but why not just use standby? Beats waiting the 20 secs for even a quick windows boot doesn't it? Almost any rc6 USB dongle will do that. I would guess it uses only a couple of watts on standby... Also, what about hibernate if you really want zero power off?

I ask because I am much more used to xbmc Linux .. But have moved my A6 truly silent to Windows as the video drivers are a lot better....so far standby seems like a winner!
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Hibernate with the SSD optimization is not there for me..... standby it's a choice.... but I like turning my HTPC all the way off.... so when it starts it's fresh.... a few people had trouble with standby once in a while.... and 20 seconds... what is 20 seconds... nothing.

Really the point is... this DONGLE rocks.... Wink
+1,
Hibernation wont give you ZERO power OFF bossanova808
and it'll also ware out your SSD faster since it needs to write stuff on it
before actually hibernating..
so, S3 or S5 is recommended when using an SSD.
not S4....
Eskro I updated my post with your new FIND!..... thanx
(2012-06-03, 00:22)eskro Wrote: +1,
Hibernation wont give you ZERO power OFF bossanova808
and it'll also ware out your SSD faster since it needs to write stuff on it
before actually hibernating..
so, S3 or S5 is recommended when using an SSD.
not S4....

For that matter, neither does power off. The ASRock obviously draws power even when off so as to be able to power that USB receiver etc. so true power off = only switch at wall.

Re ssds - having thrashed scores of these, including in servers, I really am not that worried about the wear out factor, not from hibernation anyway.

I haven't seen any real standby weirdness yet but good to know there is an option for from cold if required....

Ta for your research.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Beer, I have to tell it straight -
It would be very difficult to find anyone willing to spend this much time and money to build a better Mouse Trap than YOU! (with a little help from your friends) Just when I thought you had it perfect, you come back with more.

I have family lurking and following your build. They are still deciding on a case before placing the order. Now that you have the remote issues solved, it sent a question my direction.
She asked me "Is there any way to not having that thing sticking out of the front? It would look better without it."

Do you see any problem with this -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6815158163
and a USB Extender cable? It would answer the remining questions for me (I hope)

Thanks.
I'm actually looking for an easy solution to power on my HTPC with a remote control, this USB dongle would be an excellent choice but did I understand the discussion that this only works if you have a specific motherboard? I have the Asus p8z68-mpro board. How can I tell if my motherboard can support this remote/dongle?
(2012-06-03, 02:05)Driver 944 Wrote: Beer, I have to tell it straight -
It would be very difficult to find anyone willing to spend this much time and money to build a better Mouse Trap than YOU! (with a little help from your friends) Just when I thought you had it perfect, you come back with more.

I have family lurking and following your build. They are still deciding on a case before placing the order. Now that you have the remote issues solved, it sent a question my direction.
She asked me "Is there any way to not having that thing sticking out of the front? It would look better without it."

Do you see any problem with this -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6815158163
and a USB Extender cable? It would answer the remining questions for me (I hope)

Thanks.

What is so wrong being at the front? whole purpose was not to have cords..... Tongue

Anyways guys check this out.... I went and tested.... I placed the DONGLE on the back of my system of the motherboard USB's on the one on top the eSATA port....

GUESS what.... it works!!!!!! I think it don't matter what UBS port it's in Big Grin

So....

Get a USB extender like this and place it where ever you want.... hooked to the outside of the motherboard..... DONE!

Another thing.... it works being on the back too!!! I can press buttons and it works... jaja.... but you have to aim at the HTPC.... on the front you don't just aim at the TV.
doesn't the remote kit come with an USB extention?
Theater: The PS4/XBONE killer running Kodi 17.3 3D Movie Box: Raspberry Pi running LibreElec 8.0 Alpha BROKEN Family Room: "A6-Pack" running Kodi 17.3 Whole House: FireTV running Kodi 17.3
(2012-06-03, 03:03)ragedogg69 Wrote: doesn't the remote kit come with an USB extention?

Yes I did not take it out.... it's 20" long.... good catch!
lol I read that at first as 20 feet. damn that would be crazy.
Theater: The PS4/XBONE killer running Kodi 17.3 3D Movie Box: Raspberry Pi running LibreElec 8.0 Alpha BROKEN Family Room: "A6-Pack" running Kodi 17.3 Whole House: FireTV running Kodi 17.3
(2012-06-02, 03:05)Beer40oz Wrote: FYI! ESKRO found the remote with that dongle with the COLOR buttons on the bottom..... all in one.... this one is FTW! as he says....

Rosewill RRC-126 Windows 7

FTW!!!!!!
FYI guys, if you do a click through cash back, it is reported as the full $25 price. So for me, Fatwallet reported nearly double the cashback.

Good info for all those frugal people like me.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MCE Remote Turn ON HTPC FOUND! w/DONGLE in front of your CASE!4