Linux [Request] Update XBMCbuntu to May Cycle
Seeing all the new features in the May Cycle. I would like to know how update to that release for XBMCbuntu.
I don't want unstable, I want just the Cycle releases.
? What now? The cycle-releases _are_ unstable, as that is still a dev-build (currently tagged as "Alpha" - which should indicate that they aren't nowhere near stable. Of course they can be, but you never know)... From the blog-post:
Quote:This means, at the end of every month, developers, bug-reporters, and those willing to deal with potentially highly unstable builds can try a snapshot from the current development cycle, and the organization, in turn, will have a more stable and predictable development process.

Otherwise, if you still want to go that route: I don't think that there are currently snapshots/nightly builds available for Linux, so you would have to build it yourself.
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

(2012-06-06, 11:28)HenryFord Wrote: ? What now? The cycle-releases _are_ unstable, as that is still a dev-build (currently tagged as "Alpha" - which should indicate that they aren't nowhere near stable. Of course they can be, but you never know)... From the blog-post:
Quote:This means, at the end of every month, developers, bug-reporters, and those willing to deal with potentially highly unstable builds can try a snapshot from the current development cycle, and the organization, in turn, will have a more stable and predictable development process.

Otherwise, if you still want to go that route: I don't think that there are currently snapshots/nightly builds available for Linux, so you would have to build it yourself.

https://launchpad.net/~nathan-renniewald...mc-nightly
(2012-06-06, 11:42)john.cord Wrote: https://launchpad.net/~nathan-renniewald...mc-nightly
Right, been building for so long myself that I simply forgot about this. Thanks for your input!

Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

anyone got nathan's alpha3 to work? I get a fatal error on starting AE.
it might be build with --enable-pulse which means you need pulse audio.
the debug log gives a clear hint, if that is the problem.
Yes, that is what I hear. I tried to install pulseaudio but it made no difference.

12:14:05 T:3015051568 ERROR: PulseAudio: Failed to connect context
12:14:05 T:3015051568 FATAL: CApplication::Create: Failed to start the AudioEngine

I will test on another machine as well...
I agree with you isamu.dragon, if the other platforms receive and updated "alpha/beta/test" build, it would be nice for XBMCbuntu to receive the same.

Using 3rd party PPA, is not really useful I would assume, to the monthly testing cycle to begin with.
(2012-06-06, 18:56)dandirk Wrote: I agree with you isamu.dragon, if the other platforms receive and updated "alpha/beta/test" build, it would be nice for XBMCbuntu to receive the same.

Using 3rd party PPA, is not really useful I would assume, to the monthly testing cycle to begin with.

Why should it not be useful? Does it matter for you who built the package you are using?
(2012-06-06, 19:29)wsnipex Wrote: Why should it not be useful? Does it matter for you who built the package you are using?

Well yes... In order to properly confirm, repeat, fix, and test, having a standard official build allows for there to be a trusted and known good starting platform. The moment you inject different versions and 3rd party builders things become more difficult. Issues could be build related lets say, then the devs are wasting time tracking an issue that may not be in the "official" build.

Not saying that 3rd party PPAs are bad or shouldn't be used but rather should be used by the tier of user that would use say the nightlies rather then the monthlies. Maybe I am misunderstanding the use of monthlies? I am under the impression that the monthlies are sort of an official Alpha/Beta for users to test and use.

EDIT: I must impress that the above is just my opinion, I am not a member of the xbmc team nor an expert in GIT code/build version management. I just manage/deploy/support client software(s) on desktops in large environments, which I think gives some practical experience to the opinion.
thanks for the help, what i meant was most 3rd party PPAs work as pure nightlies, I was asking for one that worked only with the monthly cycles
I agree that the monthly is more interesting than traditional "unstable" meaning nigthlies.
Unless I misunderstood completely that was the point with the new cycles.

I am trying to build a new xbmcbuntu 11.10 based on the ppa mentioned above. It was a bit tricky as it doesnt contains a specific version of a package that only exists on team-xbmc. This will not be a pure monthly as I could not make it work yesterday and now things have moved on.
I made a test live build based on
https://launchpad.net/~nathan-renniewald...mc-nightly
It was a bit tricky since this ppa is missing a package version needed for the build.
I also added pulseaudio to make it work at all. (unclear if this is a build problem or a bug).

I haven't tested anything beyond the boot. I must say I am worried about the skin, it does lack in wow factor.
I understand the need for a light skin but couldn't be a setting? Oh, well maybe it will be alright for the release.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17892827/big/xbm...120606.iso
Thanks, bit of a suggestion

add this repo
Code:
ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
because it will update the Nvidia Drivers and make it greatly easier to use the audio (added it manually to mine)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Request] Update XBMCbuntu to May Cycle0