XBMCUbuntu setup
Hi guys,

Will start off by saying I am sorry if answers to my questions are in other threads but after hours and hours of reading I decided the only sensible way to find out info I need to to ask directly. There are countless thread with info but unless you follow the threads from the start and know how upto date each part is then it is almost impossible to know what is going on.

My system :

Mobo : Asrock a75m-itx
APU : AMD Llano 3500
HDD : OCZ ssd

MCE reciever
Logitech Harmony remote.

I have been using windows 7 and recently windows 8 for my media rig but decided I want more of a dedicated feel ( stb style ) for my media rig. So I have decided to start from scratch and install XBMCUbuntu.

I initially downloaded the XBMCUbuntu from the main xbmc download page. Installed it and then started looking into what I needed to add to the install. a75 chipset drivers, Catalyst drivers for the gpu, etc etc. To help me in my setup I decided to come here and look for as much info as possible on what others had installed and used with similar hardware to myself to get the best possible performance. After 2-3 hours of reading I decided it was impossible to find my answers without asking.

Could some kind user please direct me to some info on the best way to setup xbmcubuntu for similar hardware to mine.

Thanks in advance
countless hours of searching, but you did not stumble over those 2 threads? :S

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=134252

both are on the first to second page of this subforum most of the time.
I did expect some kind of response like this.

How long would it take you to read 78 pages and taking in the information? At the same time wondering if what you are reading on the first 10 or so pages are now out dated. I started reading that and it went into taking about pre built packages and also about taking ubuntu and installing xbmc on top of that. Now last time i was here there was no xbmcubuntu on teh main download page so it crossed my mind that maybe the original post was out dated.

So I decided to go towards the last 10-20 pages and start looking through to get info. This also did not help.

I then started reading the 2nd thread you posted. I also started reading more than just those 2.

Now if you are a hard core user of these forums you would probably have read those threads as they were created and know whats going on in what order and what is up to date and what is out of date.

Imagine you had not been here in ages or never visited the live section of these forums and attempted to make head or tail or multiple threads with some going into 78 pages and on top of that trying to avoid fo0llowing instructions which are now out dated.

See the problem?

I think the point I am trying to make is there is so much info in these forums and things change at a fast pace it is hard for someone new to actually know what they should be following.

Also in relation to the second thread. This line made me wonder if I should use up what time I have reading on or look elsewhere.

"Please be aware that this version contain many bugs and is for testing purposes only!"

Now going back to the first thread.

"Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba from scratch"

Details how to actually install Ubuntu and then install xbmc on top. Now it also mentions previously about pre build packages. I dont know what what these different ones are as it does not explain.

So in my mind I should think the best solution is stick with the actual download from the main xbmc downloader as this should be working and upto date ( which would suggest to me be more upto date than a suggestion in thread one which is dated last year )..

BUT hold on.. I am still looking for info into how to install drivers.. So I go back to thread 1 but which parts do I ignore and which oparts do i Use.

I could go on all day about the problems here but I am sure by know you appreciate that for a new user in this section its not an easy process and can take hours without finding direct answers.
just use the xbmcbuntu version from the 2nd thread. It uses the same packages as the first and has drivers etc already prepared. It should work out of the box.

and there is a lot of effort put in the Xvba Thread to always keep it up to date. You can look at the last modified line to see when I edited it the last time.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCUbuntu setup0