Linux Won't boot from my USB drive
Hi all,

I just bought a ZOTAC zbox nano AD10 to install xbmcbuntu on it. The full ist of specs are here: http://goo.gl/dPFgv
Additionally, I've installed an OCZ 60GB SSD and 4 GB DDR3 ram.

I've created live bootable disks using Unetbootin on two USB hard drives and one thumb drive (1GB), but I've had no luck thus far to make it work. I only get a message that reads: Missing operating system; Reboot and Select proper Boot device; or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

I've been in the system BIOS and set the USB flash drive or whatever was plugged in as the primary boot device without luck.

Does anybody have an idea how to fix this?

Tell me if there is any info missing.

Thanks a lot,

Dekox
Are you able to boot with those USB devices on any other PCs you may have? That may help narrow down whether that system has issues with booting from USB or if it's a problem with using Unetbootin to create the boot media.

Do you have access to an external USB optical drive you can use to install XBMCbuntu from a CD? If you do and if the system also fails to boot from the USB CD, that's a further indication the system may have an issue with USB booting. On the other hand, if it boots with the CD, then the problem may have been with using Unetbootin... but at least you will be able to install XBMCbuntu at that point.
Unfortunately, I am using a mac, and it seems that one cannot use a bootable USB drive on a mac.
I don't have any CD on hand, but I'll buy one tomorrow and try to burn it and use it to create the bootable drive.
I don't have access to an external cd drive either.

Do you have any other idea ? Maybe something to change in the advanced settings?

Here is a picture of my boot screen and my main screen in the BIOS : http://minus.com/mNwTzcG3K/2
(2012-06-25, 23:24)dekox Wrote: I don't have any CD on hand, but I'll buy one tomorrow and try to burn it and use it to create the bootable drive.
I don't have access to an external cd drive either.
It won't do you much good to burn an XBMCbuntu boot CD if you don't have an external optical drive you can use on the Zotac with which to boot the system... or am I missing something here about your hardware setup?

Thank you for mentioning that you use a Mac... so I have to assume you used Unetbootin for Mac to create the XBMCbuntu boot media? If so, take a look here as this may explain your problem: https://bugs.launchpad.net/unetbootin/+bug/896686

Do you have a friend who has a Windows or Linux PC (or access to one at work) so you can use Unetbootin on those platforms to create your boot media?
I was hoping to be able to create a bootable USB hard drive after booting from the CD in my mac. From what I understand, this is how people did it before Unetbootin was created.
I got the idea from this (rather old) turorial on lifehacker: http://goo.gl/JJjZ3 Is it not possible anymore?

Unfortunately I do not have access to a PC where I could install Unetbootin. Isn't there any other way to create a bootable USB drive with a mac? The problem you have linked to seems to be exactly the same as mine.

It's solved.

I asked a coworker to bring his PC to work today. I installed UNetbootin on it, created my bootable drive and it worked like a charm when I got home.

It would be nice to have a way to do that on a mac without having to use another computer :-) The wiki should probably mention the fact that Unetbootin is not a good option on mac.

Cheers
I'm also having problems with the "missing operating system" message using unetbootin on a mac.. I'm doing a non "quick format" using win7 on parallels. I'll give the mac version of unetbootin one more try after that. Then move on to the windows version. So the opetion for mac users would be to use bootcamp or parallels for making the USB disk.
It may be long winded but why not install Virtualbox in your machines then install a guest Windows operative system in the virtual machine, so you can use windows programs without needing a 3rd party PC?

I have OSX installed on my PC via virtualbox you would be doing the opposite.

Just a thought Wink

Ah never mind parallels is similar to virtualbox.
I am having a similar problem while trying to update the BIOS. Except that my boot USB drive seems to be working on all PCs other than the Zotac. When I select the bootable USB (made it using Unetbootin for FreeDos) as the boot drive (and disable all other boot options) and save the BIOS window, it just brings me back to the BIOS window.

Am running OpenElec 2.0, and need to update the BIOS in order to play 1080 video.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Won't boot from my USB drive0