Poll(s): Cabling & Audio
I've read a bunch of stuff on both of these topics, but just wanted to see what people on here think.

Poll 1:
Would you rather have a longer CAT6 cable or a longer COAX cable?

Poll 2:
What do you think is the best way to get audio out of surroud speakers on Windows via HDMI. eg ... for viewing WatchESPN.com through browser. I'm wondering when someone will actually build a media-centric browser.
The Mi7 (full specs)
HTPC: Antek ISK 300 | Pico 160 | ASRock z77E | i7 3770S | GSkill Ares 8GB | BigShuriken 2 | Crucial 64 SSD
TOYS: Panasonic TC-P58S2 | Onkyo TX-SR608 | Atlantic Tech 2400 | Harmony 1 | iPazzPort ProMini | Mohu 1000 | HomeRun Dual | 2x2TB NAS
1. Cat 6

2. Huh? Ideally use a plugin and watch it via XBMC at a guess? Personally I think a browser is a browser and a media app a media app.... I suppose you could look at it in safari and airplay to XBMC, that seems to work very well....
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
1. It doesn't matter
2. Not sure what your talking about? Windows has a browser, I watch all kinds of streaming web sites and HDMI to my receiver for Dolby digital or Pro logic. There are also add ons for launching the browser from with in XBMC See Advance Launcher. Although I just Alt/Tab Don't reinvent the wheel
i don't get digital 5.1 out of WatchESPN.com, so i'm looking to see what people's suggestions are with regards to the many ways to get "fake surround" ... aka sound out of all 5 speakers.
The Mi7 (full specs)
HTPC: Antek ISK 300 | Pico 160 | ASRock z77E | i7 3770S | GSkill Ares 8GB | BigShuriken 2 | Crucial 64 SSD
TOYS: Panasonic TC-P58S2 | Onkyo TX-SR608 | Atlantic Tech 2400 | Harmony 1 | iPazzPort ProMini | Mohu 1000 | HomeRun Dual | 2x2TB NAS
1. Cat6
2. "Neural Surround" or some other setting on my AVR.
(2012-06-28, 20:49)helpermonkey Wrote: i don't get digital 5.1 out of WatchESPN.com, so i'm looking to see what people's suggestions are with regards to the many ways to get "fake surround" ... aka sound out of all 5 speakers.

Dolby Pro Logic II

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Pro_Logic

(2012-06-28, 20:49)helpermonkey Wrote: i don't get digital 5.1 out of WatchESPN.com, so i'm looking to see what people's suggestions are with regards to the many ways to get "fake surround" ... aka sound out of all 5 speakers.

Most Realtek audio cards have a check box in the Realtek HD Audio Control Panel setting.. I don't have it in front of me, but it's like Output Stereo to Surround speakers.
From memory it's in an obscure location like Bass management or something

While you're in control panel, make sure your speaker setup is 5.1 (Under Sounds in Control Panel) - with my Realtek setup, I had to choose the rear speakers as "Side" speakers to get any sound out of it.
Use the Test, if you've selected rear, perhaps no sounds are ever coming out of it !

A word of warning it sounds weird on XBMC, because you hear the navigation clicks from the back,then the front a millisecond later.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Poll(s): Cabling & Audio0