Win DXVA Issues
Hello guys...

I wanted to ask for some assistance troubleshooting DXVA issues on a Windows PC I am using to play video through XBMC. Currently, the processor used is older...a Core2 Quad6700 and I have a Zotac GT520 GPU.... This is my main PC so I have 6GB memory and a 60GB Patriot Pyro SSD

Issues:

When playing H.264 content without DXVA I get a very bad picture with scenes that have fast moving images and camera panning. The image will flutter very bad then recover when the scene becomes stationary or non-moving. So, I would like to see if DXVA acceleration would help with this issue. When I enable DXVA through XBMC and play any movie format the image displays washed out colors and frames move at a snails pace like the video is set at a slower playback mode -2x. So far I have enabled and disabled the "match refresh rate" and "sync to display" features with no success. I have also tried all of the "video rendering" options also a no go.

If anyone could shed some light on what I may or may not be doing properly I would appreciate it! ThanxWink

Are you actually getting dropped frames? Codec-info "i" on keyboard. What are your sound settings? I remember DTS audio causing stuttering, try Analog 2.0 in sound and turn off the 5.1 receiver options. Network issue? Put a video file on the SSD to test.

Need a debug log before any other shots in the dark.
(2012-07-09, 03:16)CpTHOOK Wrote: Currently, the processor used is older...a Core2 Quad6700 and I have a Zotac GT520 GPU.... This is my main PC so I have 6GB memory and a 60GB Patriot Pyro SSD

If anyone could shed some light on what I may or may not be doing properly I would appreciate it! ThanxWink
I'm glad that you are back in here, and I'm sorry to read your trouble. The combination above should be able to handle any playback. Try these-

1. Update the latest Nvidia graphic driver from here- Automatically find drivers for my NVIDIA products, and configure video setting in Nvidia control panel as shown in my screen shots below:

2. Since it is a powerful Intel CPU, you can select "High Performance" power option in Windows 7 control panel as shown in my screen shot below:

3. Configure XBMC as shown in my screen shots below:

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
High Performance.... it should be on Balanced... when ever the computer needs the power boost it will grab it on Balanced...

if not your Mhz on you CPU will always be on full witch is a waste and more heat.....

it's on the net if you do a search on read on it...

that is why High Performance is hidden...
BluuuuuuuuuuuuuBig Grin

What's up brother! I've always been around, just not posting as much... kinda reading, observing and learning!! The guys in here have so many ideas and solutions so I absorb as much as possible... Anyway..

I have started using my main PC in my office a lot more since the wife has pretty much taken over the main Theater area in our house. So I hooked up a 47' 3D LED directly above my computer configured with the "extend display" in "Display Properties" and I'm noticing this flutter issue when I playback my movie content using XBMC. Both HTPC's in theater room and bedroom work fine with and without DXVA enabled streaming content from uNRAID server using a TBase1000 LAN. I have not installed any updated drivers for the card or NVIDIA kuz I never really used this PC for watching video so I will give your ideas a try and report back. I wont be home for at least 3more hours kuz I'm at work now but will try your fixes as soon as I get in. I noticed in the XBMC system setting you have resolution set @1280x1024, is your display not 1920x1080(1080p)Huh

ThanxWink
(2012-07-09, 04:51)Beer40oz Wrote: High Performance.... it should be on Balanced... when ever the computer needs the power boost it will grab it on Balanced...

if not your Mhz on you CPU will always be on full witch is a waste and more heat.....

it's on the net if you do a search on read on it...

that is why High Performance is hidden...

What up Beer...

I will try both ways and see which one works if at all! Thanx for the response bud. Me and the kids are enjoying these 3D cartoons bro! Also... I still need to post that question about running a 3D signal through a non-3D AVR to a 3D TV!

(2012-07-09, 03:36)live4ever Wrote: Are you actually getting dropped frames? Codec-info "i" on keyboard. What are your sound settings? I remember DTS audio causing stuttering, try Analog 2.0 in sound and turn off the 5.1 receiver options. Network issue? Put a video file on the SSD to test.

Need a debug log before any other shots in the dark.

Thanks for the response..

Yes....i am getting dropped frames, but my audio settings are set as Analog 2.0..kuz I have an older Technics AVR connected to PC for stereo sound! Network is fine, i have two other HTPC's that are working perfectly with and without DXVA enabled!
(2012-07-09, 04:51)Beer40oz Wrote: if not your Mhz on you CPU will always be on full witch is a waste and more heat.....
No problem Beer......I am running my Intel E7200 with high performance for 6 years now........I transcode blu-ray file while watching blu-ray disc on BD-ROM all these years, and it never let me down.....

I'm running my AMD E350M1 with high performance power option for two years now, and it never overheat on me either.....

Balanced power option make sense for most users, but I'm the type of person like to run it at the max speed and sometime overclock it to the max speed too....if Balanced work fine, I would suggest to keep it "As Is". If you are having problem with playback, it doesn't hurt to try other power option......

It's the same way when I'm on the track at the gym......I'm always in full throttle power option, and sometime I pass out on the track....and then I slow down to Power Saver option........Shy

"I noticed in the XBMC system setting you have resolution set @1280x1024, is your display not 1920x1080(1080p)"

I too would like to know, I know Cap isn't the first to ask this....

(2012-07-09, 05:21)onizuka Wrote: "I noticed in the XBMC system setting you have resolution set @1280x1024, is your display not 1920x1080(1080p)"

I too would like to know, I know Cap isn't the first to ask this....
You can simply select screen resolution per your HDTV.....the screen shot I posted is from my office desktop with 21" LCD monitor.......

Yah blu.... even High performance was culprit for my M4 SSD.... I heard a whine noise from it.... I thought it was broken... Sad

It came out to be because I had it on High Performance... once back on Balanced it wen't away... even when the CPU maxed out I did not hear it anymore.

I found all that info on the net... pretty weird.
(2012-07-09, 04:26)bluray Wrote: Image

It was this setting change that fixed me up! Thanks blu...Big Grin DXVA working properly now and no more video flutters!

(2012-07-09, 07:07)Beer40oz Wrote: Yah blu.... even High performance was culprit for my M4 SSD.... I heard a whine noise from it.... I thought it was broken... Sad
Could it be something else cause SSD to whine when High Performance power option is selected.....my Intel E7200 and AMD E350M1 have SSD's in it, and there is no whine noise with High Performance power option. High Performance shouldn't cause SSD to whine. In fact, I never have problem with any SSD that I installed.....one thing I never do to SSD is optimize it......could it be the problem?

(2012-07-09, 11:13)CpTHOOK Wrote:
(2012-07-09, 04:26)bluray Wrote: Image

It was this setting change that fixed me up! Thanks blu...Big Grin DXVA working properly now and no more video flutters!
Good deal, I'm glad that my screen shot help.....most of the times, the least setting is the best way to go....Nod

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DXVA Issues 0