Why would you give up the extra inch?
Was just checking out cases and saw that the ever popular SilverStone Aluminum/Steel Micro ATX Media Center/HTPC Case ML03B (Black) has dimensions of: 20 x 17 x 7 and weighs 10 lbs and costs around $60.00

While the SilverStone LC19B-R Aluminum Front Panel/1.0 mm SECC Body Micro ATX Media Center/HTPC Case - Retail (Black) has dimensions of: 19 x 17 x 6 and weighs 15 lbs and costs about $190

If I had my choice, I'd pick the ML03B every time,..but,..I'd like to know if someone used this case, why you picked this case, and are you happy with the end result?
I'd get this for $60: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811204040 Smile
I always have been a fan of the ML03B ... it's such a nice simple sleek case. SilverStone makes nice top quality products.

If I where to have something bigger to match other components ML03B it's a great buy.
(2012-07-13, 20:24)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I'd get this for $60: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811204040 Smile

Fair enough, but here's my concerns with that case,....
Seems pretty obligatory to name the case HTPC 1080p,...I mean,..the case isn't what gives you 1080p capability,..so I think that might be misleading for a noobie.
I personally don't like cases with the drop-down window in the front.
Also,..it appears that they ship the case with an open port where they assume you'll install a DVD-drive?? Again, if true, pretty assuming on their part.
Seems to have complaints of low risers which could (and has) shorted the mobo.

But the biggest problem I see with this case (if the specs are true),..this case is only 3.9 inches high? Wow,..

(2012-07-13, 20:47)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: But the biggest problem I see with this case (if the specs are true),..this case is only 3.9 inches high? Wow,..

That's 99mm which will fit the 58mm Big Shuriken as long as the CPU location does not interfere with the ODD.

Anyway, just throwing it out as an alternative. I'd pick the ML30B over the LC19. For $190 there are some much more amazing choices that start with Lian-Li Smile.

(2012-07-13, 20:57)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2012-07-13, 20:47)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: But the biggest problem I see with this case (if the specs are true),..this case is only 3.9 inches high? Wow,..

That's 99mm which will fit the 58mm Big Shuriken as long as the CPU location does not interfere with the ODD.

Anyway, just throwing it out as an alternative. I'd pick the ML30B over the LC19. For $190 there are some much more amazing choices that start with Lian-Li Smile.

Don't mind me,...I'm wanting to go home right about now. Hahaha. Thanks for throwing out another option.
I know the Lian-Li cases are very popular,..but also seem to be pretty expensive.
I'll check those out too.
(2012-07-13, 20:47)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: Seems pretty obligatory to name the case HTPC 1080p,...I mean,..the case isn't what gives you 1080p capability,..so I think that might be misleading for a noobie.
+1.....I'll stay away from any case with 1080P capability in the title.......maybe, it can playback 1080P by itself.....Laugh

(2012-07-13, 20:41)Beer40oz Wrote: I always have been a fan of the ML03B ... it's such a nice simple sleek case. SilverStone makes nice top quality products.

If I where to have something bigger to match other components ML03B it's a great buy.
+1.....Silverstone built quality stuff and the price is fair too.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Why would you give up the extra inch? (That's what she asked! Angel)

Seriously, though, there are some people who have situations where that extra inch is the difference between something working in their application or not. Of course, this is a specialty niche area and naturally, specialty niches are extra-cost endeavors.

One thing that does jump out at me regarding the LC19B-R is that it comes equipped with Silverstone's version of the Pico PSU. There's something to be said for getting a package deal where you know your PSU is going to work with your case & you've got one company to go back to for answers if it doesn't.

I went the totally opposite direction for my XBMC build (I may post a thread outlining my 'off the beaten path' build once the remaining parts have come in) so I might not be the right person to be voicing opinions on low-profile HTPC cases. Smile

But that's part of the whole appeal of building a(n) (HT)PC to run XBMC (and whatever else you want it to). There's no one right build or one right way of doing things and although I did go off in a different direction with my build a lot of my components were chosen due to the wise words of some of the prominent members of this group (And the OP was one of those I listened to).

It would be someone with the name Innuendo to make a comment like that,..... Wink

Anyho,...I see your point,..I've seen where someone wanted to squeeze their case into a narrow place on a shelf or something like that.
So I can see how that shaving of a few mm's might make the difference.

And great point about the included PSU.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why would you give up the extra inch?0