• 5(current)
Solved 64bit XBMC
If you wanted to squeeze performance, you'd run openelec or another light linux.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-12-27, 21:53)nickr Wrote: If you wanted to squeeze performance, you'd run openelec or another light linux.

As of writing this today, I think the above statement is false to a certain extent (from a Intel users view anyway).

Ever since the release of Openelec 6 / Kodi 15, (also tested on Openelec 7 master / Kodi 16b1-4 - same outcome) performance has been shocking for Intel users who watch SD interlaced content - I'm talking 25fps locks within the menus, 1000s of frame skipping / dropping errors as soon as you open parts of the GUI - it's just a big choppy mess.

Who knows if this a driver issue, or something to do with a change in Kodi on the linux platform in general - theres not really been any official statement as to what is definately causing this / when a fix will emerge.

What I do know is if your looking to squeeze some extra performance whilst running Intel hardware, and the majority of content you watch is Interlaced live tv, then you should stay well away from any version of Openelec which runs Kodi 15/16, as your certainly not going to see any extra performance - infact, you're going to see half the performance than Openelec 5 / Windows, when it comes to rendering GUI elements of Kodi.
Have you filed a bug report?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
There's a rather large thread over on the linux section of this forum called "Openelec 25fps laggy GUI" (some along those lines) - lots of testing and debugging has done, you can see from all the debug logs / screenshots I've posted there.

Its just a real shame that we are now going into the second full release since this bug was introduced, and its still not been resolved.

I may just file that bug report now (never submitted a report before). Fingers crossed it gets some attention.
yes I caught that thread, but there don't seem to be many with the same problem. I.certainly don't, but then again I don't use the gui while playing media, it tends to spoil the viewing.
...... But the problem is definately there - even confirmed and reproduced by Fritsch on his linux system.

Just because theres not alot of users who have come forward and spoke up about this issue, test etc, or even taken their time to sign up to the forum (yes not all users are forum members), it doesn't mean this problem should not be thoroughly looked at.

The fact of the matter is, there is a issue - the proof is in the puddling with all the debug logs and screenshots.

Some people may not even know it exists, due to having low powered hardware which cannot achieve 50fps, think how many people use Raspberry Pi's, can a Pi acheive 50fps? No. Hence no issue from those users. Or quite simply some users eyes cannot see the difference (yes, some folks cannot tell the difference 25fps and 50fps). Some people may use different skins other than Confluence, which is maybe less noticable due to different animations going on. Some user simply do not use Openelec for live tv, or aren't in the UK where 50hz interlaced is the standard for live tv. All these reasons and more, account for why there has not been alot of people reporting this issue.

There are a few variables to take into consideration here. All of the above does not change the fact that there is a clear issue with 50hz 576i live tv content bring played on the Linux platform ever since Kodi 15. The way things are going it doesn't look hopeful for a fix even in the upcomming Kodi 17 alpha releases.

Anyway...we'll leave it as that. Bug report to follow... hopefully a post on trac will encourage more devs to look into it.
(2015-12-28, 00:48)Big Aero Wrote: What I do know is if your looking to squeeze some extra performance whilst running Intel hardware, and the majority of content you watch is Interlaced live tv, then you should stay well away from any version of Openelec which runs Kodi 15/16, as your certainly not going to see any extra performance - infact, you're going to see half the performance than Openelec 5 / Windows, when it comes to rendering GUI elements of Kodi.

I have seen nothing to back up these claims that this is a wide-spread issue. Rather, I've seen the opposite on my hardware. My main HTPC runs OpenELEC with Kodi v15 on a slow Intel Celeron processor, and it handles live interlaced TV like a champ. An issue with some hardware does not mean that most users will see a problem. More often than not, I've seen Windows-specific issues being a bigger problem when dealing with multiple types of hardware.

Don't get me wrong, I believe you when you say it's an issue in your case, but I wouldn't use such limited feedback to tell people to avoid OpenELEC and use Windows. I don't think there is a universe that exists where I would suggest that people use Windows over one of the other platforms.

Quote:Some people may not even know it exists, due to having low powered hardware which cannot achieve 50fps, think how many people use Raspberry Pi's, can a Pi acheive 50fps? No

Whoever told you this is mistaken.
Hum,

A few words:
- IMHO this treat is about 64 bit IMHO
- every build will profit from that(!) unix, Linux, Android, Windows, IOS, etc
- I use windows for a few reasons: I can also have supported versions of Tidal, Spotify, Netflix and other not media player related software
- windows does bring direct-x and native driver support for almost all x86 based system hardware
- I have knowledge of and am used to windows, so also for that reason I prefer to use that

Sincerely,

Louis
There are already 64 bit builds for linux and osx.
In any case, no one needs convincing for a 64-bit build for Windows. No one is actually rejecting the idea. It's just a matter of having people who are willing to work on that.
It's happening guys. Paxxi is on it. It's WIP for now.
Subscribe to this PR issue for updates.

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/10045
Platforms: macOS - iOS - OSMC
co-author: Red Bull TV add-on
(2016-06-30, 22:40)tripkip Wrote: It's happening guys. Paxxi is on it. It's WIP for now.
Subscribe to this PR issue for updates.

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/10045

Seems dead to me. Many months without any update, comments disabled, pitty.
Looks like there were updates to Paxxi's xbmc-deps repo as recently as 4 December, so I'm not sure what you mean.
troll...
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
All good. https://twitter.com/piejanssens/status/8...1177707521

Sent from my iPhone
Platforms: macOS - iOS - OSMC
co-author: Red Bull TV add-on
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
64bit XBMC0