• 12(current)
Perfect playback of 23.976 fps possible with nVidia?
Why do you run an outdated NVidia beta driver? Even with release of 310 there's been a lot of issues. I recommend that you either use release of 304 or 313, then post debug log again.
I bet iissmart is using xorg-edgers ppa and given the sheer amount of packages involved in a typical upgrade I would already start pushing this under the bus.

uNi
I just picked the latest version offered by Lubuntu 12.04 under the Restricted Drivers list. I'll downgrade to 304 tonight and post back the results. Thanks for the help so far!
Now running 304.64. Still stutters. Audio is perfect but it's like the video does a tiny hiccup once a minute or so.

This system is a pretty clean build, I just installed 64-bit Lubuntu 12.04 and then XBMC from the ppa. I originally used the mainline ppa to get XBMC but added the XVBA ppa afterwards and ran an update to get the fixed XBMC. Could it be because I still have the mainline ppa, or packages from it?

New full log: http://pastebin.com/5yeqbBVR
not a good idea to have two ppa's with XBMC versions which can conflict. On your failry clean install you managed to do something which isnt right.

From that log you seriously need to sort out your audio settings. see first link on my signature.

uNi

I'll try a fresh reinstall this weekend, I guess. Just curious what you see in the log that makes you think my audio settings are bad? Like I said audio works perfectly, I can bitstream everything including TrueHD/HDMA as expected.
This makes me think something is wrong with audio and hence video goes funky theres a few of those throughout the log at differnt times.

Code:
21:46:37 T:140256331568896    INFO: CAESinkALSA::Initialize - Attempting to open device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3"
21:46:37 T:140256331568896    INFO: CAESinkALSA - ALSA: pcm_hw.c:1293:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open '/dev/snd/pcmC0D9p' failed (-16): Device or resource busy
21:46:37 T:140256331568896    INFO: CAESinkALSA - Unable to open device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3,AES0=0x06,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x00,AES3=0x0e" for playback
21:46:37 T:140256331568896    INFO: CAESinkALSA - ALSA: pcm_hw.c:1293:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open '/dev/snd/pcmC0D9p' failed (-16): Device or resource busy
21:46:37 T:140256331568896    INFO: CAESinkALSA - Unable to open device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3" for playback
21:46:37 T:140256331568896   ERROR: CAESinkALSA::Initialize - failed to initialize device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3"

But hey sounds perfect right?

uNi
How is playback with AC3 audio tracks? Something bothers the driver which causes those long decoding times, up to 50ms. My guess is that audio engine setup inside XBMC is not ideal (buffer size, period size) which causes too much interrupts.

Just to make sure it's not Openbox, can you try fluxbox? Would that make any difference?
Hello all,

Can we conclude that the problem with audio / video sync on 23.976 HZ is still not fixed in xbmx? I've seen another thread here on the xbmc forum where some devs actually denied that the problem was even there. On mod said literally: "we just don't see it". Now I was very surprised at that time. This is an issue people have been reporting about for years. The new frodo audio engine was supposed to fix it, but it didn't.

I recently bought a mede8er because I was tired of the sync issue on 24P playback. A real bummer, because I love the xbmc software on all other aspects. The software is just perfect, except for it's known issues. Playback of 50 / 60 HZ material works perfectly, with perfect audio / video sync. Only 24P is still lacking and I am surprised that this problem seems to last so long.

So a questions to Fernetmenta and the other devs. Is this problem now officially acknowledged by the xbmc developers? And what is in a short matter of saying, the real issue here?

I hope this question can be answered in clear terms.

I wan't to thank all xbmc developers for their hard work on, and the delivery of, a great piece of software.
The majority of users don't face those issues and the devs (at least those I know about) can't reproduce on their systems. What you can't duplicate yourself is very hard to fix. On the other hand there are quite a couple of components involved (kernel, distro, drivers, configuration, etc) that you can't even tell what exactly causes the issue.
Just wanted to note that I was having problems with jerky playback for last two months or so and wasn't able to locate the source of the problem (I did several upgrades in the meantime: nvidia drivers, xorg, xrandr, xbmc, ...). What I've noticed was that xbmc (git head) was reporting 50Hz screen refresh rate (refresh adjust on, sync playback on), while both TV and randr agreed that it was 24Hz.

Not sure if that was the cause, but I decided to simply give your branch a try. And it worked perfectly: playback is smooth again, refresh rates are consistent between xbmc and randr/tv. Thank you. :-)
(2013-02-12, 23:23)FernetMenta Wrote: The majority of users don't face those issues and the devs (at least those I know about) can't reproduce on their systems. What you can't duplicate yourself is very hard to fix. On the other hand there are quite a couple of components involved (kernel, distro, drivers, configuration, etc) that you can't even tell what exactly causes the issue.

Ok, that clears things up. Wouldn't it then be possible, that what people claim to see, is just the thing that is referred to as the "CEA-EDID audio delay" ?

I just can not see any other reason why the devs can't reproduce the problem, while on the other hand so many are convinced that the problem is embedded in xbmc.
(2013-02-13, 19:44)Stefanhvt Wrote: Ok, that clears things up. Wouldn't it then be possible, that what people claim to see, is just the thing that is referred to as the "CEA-EDID audio delay" ?

I just can not see any other reason why the devs can't reproduce the problem, while on the other hand so many are convinced that the problem is embedded in xbmc.

I have 2 Nvidia system that run XBMC on linux. One is Atom330 + ION and another Core 2 Duo E8400 + GT210. Both ran playback of 23.976fps fine. So I can see why Devs can't reproduce the problem on their system. While some said they have problem with 23.976 playback , A lot that didn't say anything could be that they had it runing fine.

When you can't reproduce the problem it's like a shot in the dark. You try to do something and hope it hit the point.
Even if there was a general problem with 23.976, I guess the ones to look at isn't XBMC, but probably Xorg, Nvidia, Ati, Intel...

For example, in Openelec, unless I use a custom xorg.conf file, 23.976 doesn't work properly. Once I updated xorg.conf, everything is now smooth, it had never worked better!
Hello All,

I'm using XBMC for a while, starting with the XBOX version. I'm have tested several versions, several kernels on two ION hardware (ASUS netbox and now XTreamer). Each time, I fall in the same conclusion : I cannot use the same video settings for Divx/DVD and HD contents.

Divx/DVD : perfectly smooth when the box is sync with the TV in 24Hz and 50Hz, Some shutters in 60Hz (no sync)
HD : not smooth in 24Hz (pan movements are horrible), much better in 60Hz (no sync between box and TV)

A fresh install of the last version of XBMCBuntu with Frodo doesn't fix this particular problem. The only hardware which doesn't change in my tests is the TV (Samsung LCD display). Perhaps the TV IS the problem ... I have made several changes in xorg.conf but I just get equal or worst behaviours.

That's why I have to split the media into two profiles : one for divx and one for HD contents. My dream is a system which works with only one profile ! Or a way to switch easily video settings !

XBMC has my preference, but running smooth videos is still difficult to obtain or me.

Have a good day.
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Perfect playback of 23.976 fps possible with nVidia?0