OS X Video stutter or no sound.
I have been having the same audio issue switching between mp3 and AC3 or DTS sound,

Im using 2011 Mac Mini, OSX ML, Optical Audio Out,

This is a log file from a fresh setup, mp3 track file plays fine, then switch to DTS track file this plays fine, play same mp3 track file again and playback is jerky with no sound,

log file :- http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/1137021/

thanks
Running eden or nightly? Same issue here, but only when running nightly. Is the problem gone if you set the xbmc to analog audio?
Mac mini mid 2010
running nightly build from here http://xbmc.picmania.org/index.php?dir=osx%2F

If i use eden (which i fall back since this is my main TV box) i get a loud "pop" in the speakers when switching between AC3 + MP3 sound but playback is then fine.

Analog is fine but no 5.1. also had the exact same issue before upgrading from Lion.

(2012-08-09, 00:26)TheGeMan Wrote: I have been having the same audio issue switching between mp3 and AC3 or DTS sound,

Im using 2011 Mac Mini, OSX ML, Optical Audio Out,

This is a log file from a fresh setup, mp3 track file plays fine, then switch to DTS track file this plays fine, play same mp3 track file again and playback is jerky with no sound,

log file :- http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/1137021/

thanks

You don't have debugging enabled, the log won't do much good without it.

It seems that one common part in each of the posted log is this. It his hogging the device for the AC3/DTS playback but fails to release it at the end of the playback(?).

Code:
22:01:29 T:4688080896   DEBUG: CCoreAudioStream::Close: Closed stream 0x003c.
22:01:29 T:4688080896   DEBUG: CCoreAudioAEHALOSX::InitializeEncoded: Selected stream[0] - id: 0x003C, Physical Format: [cac3] AC-3/DTS for S/PDIF LE (48000Hz)
22:01:29 T:4688080896   DEBUG:  CoreAudioRenderer::InitializeEncoded: Auto 'hog' mode is set to 'Off'.
22:01:29 T:4688080896   DEBUG: CCoreAudioDevice::SetHogStatus: Setting 'hog' status on device 0x003b
22:01:29 T:4688080896   ERROR: CCoreAudioDevice::SetHogStatus: Unable to set 'hog' status. Error = 0
22:01:29 T:4688080896   ERROR: CCoreAudioDevice::SupportsMixing: Unable to get propertyinfo mixing support. Error = 'who?'
22:01:29 T:4688080896   ERROR: CCoreAudioDevice::SupportsMixing: Device mixing support : 'No'.
sorry about that, full debug log here : http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/1139643/

i want through the same process as above, it does seem to be hogging the device, further play back of AC3/DTS is fine.

thanks

There is a bug with 10.7+ (including 10.8) where if you are using optical/coax out and play something passthough (ac3/dts) then pcm output gets broken. I looked into this for a few days, there is nothing wrong with what we do, it's an OSX issue. Bug Apple about it.

EDIT: Hog mode does not matter either Smile
It's a very sad day when we only have hardware that can only run Lion or newer.
I just realized that i hadn't tested Eden on Mountain Lion. Well i just did and it has no problems switching between DTS/AC3/mp3 etc. And i'm using HDMI for audio.
@toiva "if you are using optical/coax out", you are using HDMI and that bug does not hit HDMI.
Well something is hitting the HDMI as it's not working in the nightlies.. Any chance any of your latest commits would maybe fix this?

One thing i've been wondering since Audioengine was introduced is that there seems to be two HDMI audio output devices listed under XBMC audio configuration. It takes 2 click to change to next device after HDMI.. Probably has nothing to do with this but thought it would be worth mentioning.
humm, @toiva, I just thought I was going nuts too, default output does the same sometimes.
(2012-08-12, 17:17)davilla Wrote: There is a bug with 10.7+ (including 10.8) where if you are using optical/coax out and play something passthough (ac3/dts) then pcm output gets broken. I looked into this for a few days, there is nothing wrong with what we do, it's an OSX issue. Bug Apple about it.

Good morning sir. How is it a problem with the OS if everything works correctly in Lion/Mountain Lion with Eden, but not in nightly builds? I would be inclined to say that there's something wrong with the Audioengine. Even some posts in this thread are saying that optical works as it should with Eden and (M)Lion. Are you saying that it's implemented correctly in XBMC and Apple should fix OSX so that XBMC audio output won't break?

I'm just trying to understand what's going on. If there indeed is a bug with the optical out, should i create a separate thread for this same happening with HDMI audio?

(2012-08-13, 00:40)davilla Wrote: humm, @toiva, I just thought I was going nuts too, default output does the same sometimes.

Yeah default output is listed twice as well.

My issue is the same, and i am running hdmi. The problem is not the osx, but the nightly.. my guess is the audioengine in nightly...?

Eden is running fine, but the picture quality on avi files is not good..
Mac mini mid 2010
(2012-08-12, 17:17)davilla Wrote: There is a bug with 10.7+ (including 10.8) where if you are using optical/coax out and play something passthough (ac3/dts) then pcm output gets broken. I looked into this for a few days, there is nothing wrong with what we do, it's an OSX issue. Bug Apple about it.

How can this be the case? XBMC Eden worked perfectly fine on 10.7 with passthrough using optical/coax. Only after the upgrade to 10.8 did this become a problem but you say the issue is present in both. For me the problem persists with the latest stable build and the nightlies.
I can confirm that this bug is present on OS X Lion as well as on ML. I've tried with the latest build from xbmc.picmania.org. Hardware acceleration can't be activated either; mkv's are flickering green like there's no tomorrow. I'm running all that on a mac mini 2011 (AMD HD 6630M, 4GB RAM, A/V via HDMI). If any developers need some debug logs please let me know; I'm happy to provide them to you. I'd love to see this mac running XBMC smoothly :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video stutter or no sound.0