Win newbie questions with ir remote
Hi together,

i installed xbmc in a w7 environment based on a dn2800mt atom board with integrated intel gma 3600 series graphics in a ms-tech htpc case coming with a (noname? ... i found no name oder number) built-in ir remote solution. After installing xbmc my remote works pretty fine out of the box... nearly ...

After reading many forum threads and some doc's in the wiki here, i have still problems to get my remote fully operable. I think my first problem in which i ran into was that i'm unsure if i detected the type of my remote properly. In the wiki you can read that you have to differ between the RC6 or MSeHome Devices and the cheap MCE compatible types. Since i can not find that eHome driver suggested here (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi...in_Windows), it should be a MCE compatible type like this (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi...in_Windows).

I'd read the whole article and yes - I have also some of the mentioned symptoms described in the wiki:

- The 4 coloured buttons are inactive ... doing nothing
- The "Start" button starts Microsoft Media Center ... very annoying 8)

I tried the hint with ShowKey, which shows me that my remote is sending keystrokes, also these WMAPP commands and i have also buttons which are sending ALT+RETURN and so on ...

But it seems that the annoying "Start" button and the 4 colored buttons didn't send anything. Which really could not be possible, cause MCE is starting after. I'm not shure at all what type of remote do i have now? So here are my questions:

1. Is there a proper way of how to detect 100% wheather my remote is a RC6/ehome or just a cheap MCE remote?
2. How to detect, what the 4 coloured button and my "Start" button is sending when they are pressed (ShowKey.exe shows nothing)?

Maybe you are laughing about my questions, cause my problems are so easy. At the moment for me as noob they aren't and i would appreciate any help you could give me.

Thanks a lot in advance
MyNameNotAllowd
Try this. It will take care of all your remote control problems. Since it has a windows start button that starts WMC, we can assume that it is an RC6 remote. Or you can open device manager and under HID devices you should see microsoft ehome device.
(2012-08-03, 13:11)MyNameNotAllowd Wrote: 2. How to detect, what the 4 coloured button and my "Start" button is sending when they are pressed (ShowKey.exe shows nothing)?

Maybe you are laughing about my questions, cause my problems are so easy. At the moment for me as noob they aren't and i would appreciate any help you could give me.

I only laugh because the perfect remote configuration is non-trivial and offers an almost infinite number of permutations.

+1 @ baijuxavior suggestion

This will likely take you 99%+ the way there.

To answer your question, the "Green Button" is likely sending "Windows-Alt-Enter"

A very nice guide can be found here:
http://iweb.dl.sourceforge.net/project/x...torial.pdf

Finding out what codes your remote is sending can be challenging, but it sounds like you are at lease receiving some signals. Sometimes, Event Ghost's IR driver is better at determining if an IR receiver is actually getting a signal from a remote. You can match this to the Windows standard codes and thereby know its value.

Good luck!
(2012-08-03, 15:11)baijuxavior Wrote: Try this. It will take care of all your remote control problems. Since it has a windows start button that starts WMC, we can assume that it is an RC6 remote.
Thanks, I'll try that. Meanwhile i did some testing with my remote:

It's not the official Start button with a MS logo ... the key is just labeled as "Start"

The "Start" button and the "Record TV" button as well as the 4 coloured buttons are showing NOTHING? in ShowKey but start MCE?

Key 3 and # have the same Value ... very strange: <leftwindows>Notification(Key, leftwindows, 3)</leftwindows>

I have a "Mouse" button which is just toggling between mouse and normal operating mode. I didnt install any drivers in W7/32 ... this was just working out of the box.
(2012-08-03, 15:11)baijuxavior Wrote: Or you can open device manager and under HID devices you should see microsoft ehome device.
I have no "*eHome*" or someting similar in my device manager. But i checked all other HID devices. If i disable one specific of them my remote stops working.

Is there a way to detect properly what type my device is instead to assume it? I also tried EventGhost, but it doesnt tells me what i want. It's also showing that i have no X10 device and the addin couldn't work?!
(2012-08-04, 00:30)ixnu Wrote: +1 @ baijuxavior suggestion
This will likely take you 99%+ the way there.
At the moment I'm guessing, that i have a eHome though i can't find the "*eHome*" device in device manger.
(2012-08-04, 00:30)ixnu Wrote: To answer your question, the "Green Button" is likely sending "Windows-Alt-Enter"
Unfortunaly in my case it seems not to send any keystroke ... don't know really whats going on.
(2012-08-04, 00:30)ixnu Wrote: Finding out what codes your remote is sending can be challenging, but it sounds like you are at lease receiving some signals. Sometimes, Event Ghost's IR driver is better at determining if an IR receiver is actually getting a signal from a remote. You can match this to the Windows standard codes and thereby know its value.
Sadly my try with EventGhost wasn't very successful (X10 addin could not start). But most of my buttons are working "normal". Maybe if i'll never find a solution i deactivate the MCE start in Windows registry, so that MCE will never start again. But at the moment I'll try to solve my problem first.
(2012-08-07, 19:40)MyNameNotAllowd Wrote: Thanks, I'll try that. Meanwhile i did some testing with my remote:

EventGhost must have the MCE plugin installed in order to see keystrokes. This relies on a different driver that must be installed prior to key recognition.

Your IR remote buttons are married to registry entries for which they are not configured to work with XBMC. You have to know the button codes and then run the registry entries in order for Showkey to see them.

Try Elitegamer360's solution and then go from there. It's easier to start with a working config and then tailor it than to figure everything out by trial and error.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
newbie questions with ir remote0