Router Advice
Hey peeps -
So I'm about ready to drop kick my Buffalo router out the damn window. It sucks ... even hardwired in it still sucks. It's bad and that's all there is to it. I'm running DD-WRT ontop of it just fyi. So it needs to go and i'm ordering something within the next 36 hours.

I'm well versed on the reviews, and understand the technology - so i'm as much looking for first hand feedback as anything.

Network needs are as such:
XBMC, Xbox360, HDHomeRun Dual, TimeCapsule will all be hardwired in via a zyxel switch. There will be a few clients that connect wirelessly within my condo (laptop, phone, iMac). Generally speaking, they aren't going to be used for streaming over the next. Eventually, I'm going to add in a server ... but that's a few months away.

My neighbors (2 stories below ... so roughly 20 feet) have a SamsungTV. They will be running their laptops for personal use and also use one to stream to their tv (or perhaps directly stream through their tv).

So if our main focus is on streaming to 2 devices at one time, and have a network that doesn't come to screeching hault while that's going on ... what do you recomment?

I'm just about in the bag for an Airprot Extreme - but there's still time to sway me. I'm obviously turned off by the inability to really prioritize network traffic via an Extreme. But honestly - if it will handle streaming to two devices (one of which will be hardwired in), i won't really give a rats ass.

Powerline adapters aren't an option and at somepoint, we may get creative and drop a wire outside our building (shhhh!!!) but for now, let's not worry about that.
The Mi7 (full specs)
HTPC: Antek ISK 300 | Pico 160 | ASRock z77E | i7 3770S | GSkill Ares 8GB | BigShuriken 2 | Crucial 64 SSD
TOYS: Panasonic TC-P58S2 | Onkyo TX-SR608 | Atlantic Tech 2400 | Harmony 1 | iPazzPort ProMini | Mohu 1000 | HomeRun Dual | 2x2TB NAS
Two stories down is going to be a tough sell for any hardware =(

That being said, I'm quite happy with my Buffalo wzr-hp-g300nh running Open-WRT. I can run two 1080p streams at once without much trouble. Vertical distance isn't going to be the same as horizontal distance for signal propagation.

Get that wired link if you can at all. Depending on how much control you have in your condo, you could look at something like a MoCA link. That might be less conspicuous than cat6. Also, management companies tend to not question how "the cable guy" ran the cable lol
(2012-08-07, 22:06)Bstrdsmkr Wrote: Two stories down is going to be a tough sell for any hardware =(

That being said, I'm quite happy with my Buffalo wzr-hp-g300nh running Open-WRT. I can run two 1080p streams at once without much trouble. Vertical distance isn't going to be the same as horizontal distance for signal propagation.

Get that wired link if you can at all. Depending on how much control you have in your condo, you could look at something like a MoCA link. That might be less conspicuous than cat6. Also, management companies tend to not question how "the cable guy" ran the cable lol

I appreciate the tip; however, as I said - I have a buffalo and i'm replacing it (that is in fact the model i have) and wired just isn't an option.

The Mi7 (full specs)
HTPC: Antek ISK 300 | Pico 160 | ASRock z77E | i7 3770S | GSkill Ares 8GB | BigShuriken 2 | Crucial 64 SSD
TOYS: Panasonic TC-P58S2 | Onkyo TX-SR608 | Atlantic Tech 2400 | Harmony 1 | iPazzPort ProMini | Mohu 1000 | HomeRun Dual | 2x2TB NAS
(2012-08-07, 22:13)helpermonkey Wrote:
(2012-08-07, 22:06)Bstrdsmkr Wrote: Two stories down is going to be a tough sell for any hardware =(

I appreciate the tip; however, as I said - I have a buffalo and i'm replacing it (that is in fact the model i have) and wired just isn't an option.
My suggestion in post #10 might work.......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-08-07, 22:56)bluray Wrote: My suggestion in post #10 might work.......

Ahh, i remember reading that at some point and just couldn't dig it up again. Got any experience with that first hand by any chance? Other than the configuration issues, I've just have concerns that the Linksys isn't as reliable as the Extreme - hence my reservation to pull the trigger on that.
The Mi7 (full specs)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Router Advice0