[Build] Chubby - The Windows HTPC Server
That is a nice looking fan Beer40oz.
I might consider upgrading the stock fans with some Spectre Pros in the future. For now I just want to get the system up and running, sit back, relax and enjoy some movies Smile
Looks nice, TheV.

Remember to put up some final pictures of it.
(2012-09-08, 21:19)dvined Wrote: Looks nice, TheV.

Remember to put up some final pictures of it.

Thank you, sir.

Another round of pictures will be coming up early next week if all goes well.
I received a shipping notice yesterday so I'm expecting the final piece to arrive on Monday or Tuesday.
Slight setback in the build. After receiving the CPU yesterday I finally put everything together and started up with the intention of installing the OS.
Only then did I notice that the mobo was pretty much fubar. The supplier had a look at it today and confirmed that it was indeed the gone. Unfortunately they are out of stock of that item at the moment.
They are expecting new stock as soon as tomorrow. So with any luck this will only be a very minor setback Smile
how about an update? Smile
(2012-09-24, 20:12)dvined Wrote: how about an update? Smile

Indeed, definitely time for an update here. Studies have been keeping me out of the fun for the most part but the status is as follows:

I managed to get a new board fairly quickly and that proved to sort out my hardware related problems.
With the system ripped from the chassis and the parts scattered across the floor (diagnostics from the previous mobo problems) I was able to test things out before getting everything back in the chassis.

The software side on the other hand did not prove to be as easy as I had hoped for.
The first step was to get a OS installed on the machine. The candidate: Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation 64-bit
Getting the ISO from the MS website was the easy part.
I then spent too many hours trying to make a USB install of the ISO (no ODD on the build).
I must have gone through 10, if not 20, different procedures with absolutely no luck.
I changed settings, procedures, ISO's, USB's ... everything that I could think of.

I finally stumbled across a procedure that I thought worked until I realised that I had installed the OS on the portable medium (USB HDD) instead of the SDD: enter Windows To Go.
Seeing as this was the closest I've managed to get to actually getting the machine up and running, I repeated the process with the SSD instead of the USB HDD and I now have Windows To Go running on the SSD. What the actual implications are of running Windows To Go, I have no idea. I can only imagine that I would be better off with a "proper" install.

On the OS side, I haven't bothered going much further. I have something that boots and considering it is scheduled to be replaced by a proper install of Windows 8 Pro ASAP, I figure it is good enough to just leave it as is.

The XBMC install was pretty straight forward. Installed with all default options, added some network shares (the main server, to be replaced by this box, is still hosting all the content) and I was up and running. I did notice some visual anomalies which almost look like frame rate issues. Switching off hardware acceleration (DXVA2) seems to have solved the problem.
I tried out 2 add-ons: Subtitles and Trakt.tv
Subtitles had some troubles initially but this was easily resolved by specifying a local download location for the subtitles (instead of the default content location which in this case was a network share).
Trakt.tv (or any other variant thereof) has been a bit of a different story. I keep getting incorrect username/password errors. I'm sure the details are correct. There is no problem with XBMC's ability to access the internet connection consider it updates weather and downloads subtitles just fine. I have uninstalled this and will give it another go when I redo the build.

For the most part, everything is working as expected. I'm able to start XBMC and watch my content. I've had some crashes and still need to figure out what I want to do with the power settings of the OS.

I've been swamped with studies and I'm going to be out of the country for a while soon, which is why this build has not been getting my full attention.
Once I'm back and Win8Pro is available I'm going to start from scratch and try and iron out all the kinks.

Just a random picture of the process:
Just on your issues with trakt username/password errors.
I had the same issues using trakt-utilities. Updating to the latest "testing" build (0.6.5 I think) fixed my issues.

Perhaps a possible resolution for you also?
(2012-09-25, 10:09)wjbeckett Wrote: Just on your issues with trakt username/password errors.
I had the same issues using trakt-utilities. Updating to the latest "testing" build (0.6.5 I think) fixed my issues.

Perhaps a possible resolution for you also?

Thanks for the suggestion! I will definitely give this a try Smile
Hey The V, I use this for installing Windows 7 - and other stuff, I used it today on a machine with no disc drive.
- And saw it supported windows 8.

Just download the exe file, let it format your usb stick.
Put the exe file on the usb stick, and choose what you want to install - have a iso of your windows ready.
- and it will do the rest.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multib...b-creator/
Thanks for the link dvined. I somehow did not come across this tool in my initial search. I will be sure to keep it in mind next time I need a USB install Smile
So does it work or?!

Do you regret anything? Want to change something?
(2012-10-27, 15:05)dvined Wrote: So does it work or?!

Do you regret anything? Want to change something?

About time for another update here Smile

I recently returned from holiday and with the release of Windows 8 yesterday I was able to get back into action on this project.

I installed Windows 8 Pro on the Server today. The install itself went very smoothly but unfortunately what followed proved to be a headache.
After transferring all the necessary content to the box I got XBMC up and running. Once that was on I added uTorrent.
As it stands the system is completely useless. XBMC buffers up to a point of crashing. HDD activity is non-existent. The whole thing is just a mess.
I believe I am to blame for the state of the setup considering I added and removed some drivers in the process of trying to stop XBMC from crashing on exit.

I'm grabbing a coffee and then starting fresh. Windows 8 has an option to reset to factory defaults, so I will take it from the top and be a bit more cautious this time around Smile

As for the hardware, I can't say that I have any regrets thus far. The build looks the part and is quite enough to not be a problem whatsoever in the lounge.
The only "change" that I'm interested in making is adding 4 x 3TB Red's Big Grin (but that will have to wait a while)
Update: Seems like the problems I was experiencing were not completely my fault.
After the reinstall I was still experiencing issues. Data transfer on the HDD would lockup.
Chkdsk would not complete. Windows started reporting that the HDD is broken and needs to be replaced. At this point BIOS also halted on boot warning about HDD failure.
Seems my Red has kicked the bucket. The supplier that I got it from is out of stock, hoping I can get a timely replacement unit.

In the meantime I'm feeding off the old server, which I'm very glad I have no dismantled yet Smile
I'm using a 2 TB green disk. Perhaps see if supplier has a green disk in stock? If they make then in 3tb...
Xhermes, I'm quite keen on using Red drives for this build to be honest. The supplier is willing to issue a refund which means I can pick up a Red drive from a different supplier. If all goes smoothly I should have the new drive tomorrow.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Build] Chubby - The Windows HTPC Server0