mythbox
Essentially, xbmc/mythbox performs horribly (extremely choppy video/sound) but I can exit it and start up mythfrontend the same streaming hd content (live tv and movie/tv) plays perfectly. I have no idea why this is, either. I got xbmc using the git clone, apt-get build-dep method and the mythbackend is on a separate machine--v.25.

I believe mythbox only lists support for mythtv .24, but I read that through this git method, in addition to a *.py script copy from a git of mythbox, will make it work with v.25. Is the version difference the reason for this?

The biggest question mark for me is cpu usage. I'm seeing 10-20% usage in mythfrontend playing hd live tv/movies, but 70-100% usage in xbmc/mythbox when (trying) to do the same. That would seem to indicate to me that all the work is being put in the cpu and there's something wrong with the vdpau setup, but I can also see in the logging that there don't seem to be any errors relating to vdpau.

...it should be pretty obvious where I'm watching through mythfrontend and where (the big mountain towards the end) where I try to watch through xbmc/mythbox.

I would think that since my system handles mythfrontend just fine, the same would apply to xbmc/mythbox.

Any ideas what's wrong here?

The interface of mythbox blows away mythfrontend in terms of snappiness and looks, but if it doesn't work for me then it doesn't matter.

Some vitals...

System specs:

mythbuntu 12.04
asus c60m1-i
g.skill ripjaw 4gb ddr3 1066
mushkin callisto 40gb ssd
asus gt520 (295.40)

Some screenshots of the xbmc settings:

Hi Timothy.

I have similair issues. As i am watching over WLAN, i suggested buffering problems. But did not look at CPU load...
Just opened ticket #13236 for this.

8->
Regards
I'm also on wifi (n, 5ghz) but, really, that isn't an issue because it isn't an issue for mythfrontend on the same system.

5ghz n has no problems with 1080p. I never get a stutter. I've only had my mythfrontend/mythbackend setup for a couple months, but I've been streaming 1080p over wifi n 5ghz with a wdtv live plus for a couple years. Never a skip or hiccup.

Thanks for opening the ticket... hopefully others chime in. There's comfort in company in misery.
Timothy, that high CPU indicates that VDPAU is probably not being used. Can you please provide a full debug log. It could be the de-interlacer or upscaler that you've chosen as well. But without any information about the video content being played that is a complete stab in the dark.
Use MythTV for recording TV? Try the integrated MythTV support in XBMC Media Center. Now with commercial skip support built-in and integration with the Movie database!
(2012-08-09, 10:34)dteirney Wrote: Timothy, that high CPU indicates that VDPAU is probably not being used. Can you please provide a full debug log. It could be the de-interlacer or upscaler that you've chosen as well. But without any information about the video content being played that is a complete stab in the dark.

Just did a run. Live TV first then a recording.

Log at http://notpleased.com/xbmc.txt

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
mythbox0