Show me your rack!
(2012-08-21, 12:26)Mungo Wrote: Ran out of room in my 18RU rack, so have upgraded to a 42RU. If I can't offload the smaller one, it'll end up in the shed for "offsite" backup storage.

Following suite, top to bottom:

● 8 port gigabit switch for Security VLAN
● Cable management panel
● 24 port managed gigabit switch
● Digital fan control unit for rack fans
● 22" LCD
● pullout keyboard tray (this & the LCD will be replaced with an IP KVM when I get time to look around again)
● 2, HP Microservers. 1 is an archive server with 2, RAID1 arrays (one for my data & one for the mrs) & the other is a 5TB RAID 5 backup.
● Security Network Recorder with 2TB storage in RAID1
● ESX Server (6 core, 32gb RAM), currently running 6 VM's:
......................................................................................● AD Server
......................................................................................● SQL Server
......................................................................................● VMWare vCenter Server
......................................................................................● WSUS Server
......................................................................................● Home Security Central Management Server
......................................................................................● Music Streaming Server
● Custom built file server, currently with an 8, 2TB disk RAID 5 array, and an 8, 3TB disk RAID 6 array. There's room for another 8 disks in this chassis, which will either be another 8, 3TB disks, or depending on price - 4TB
● 3000va UPS keeps everything running smoothly.

Your mrs is a saint for tolerating that in the bedroom/office wherever it's located in.
(2012-08-22, 16:23)toiva Wrote:
(2012-08-21, 12:26)Mungo Wrote: Ran out of room in my 18RU rack, so have upgraded to a 42RU. If I can't offload the smaller one, it'll end up in the shed for "offsite" backup storage.

● Cable management panel
● 22" LCD
● pullout keyboard tray (this & the LCD will be replaced with an IP KVM when I get time to look around again)
● 2, HP Microservers. 1 is an archive server with 2, RAID1 arrays (one for my data & one for the mrs) & the other is a 5TB RAID 5 backup.
......................................................................................● AD Server
......................................................................................● SQL Server
......................................................................................● VMWare vCenter Server
......................................................................................● WSUS Server
......................................................................................● Home Security Central Management Server
......................................................................................● Music Streaming Server
● Custom built file server, currently with an 8, 2TB disk RAID 5 array, and an 8, 3TB disk RAID 6 array. There's room for another 8 disks in this chassis, which will either be another 8, 3TB disks, or depending on price - 4TB

Your mrs is a saint for tolerating that in the bedroom/office wherever it's located in.

Yeah, isnt that rack doing a 100db or so when fully mounted with servers?

Mungo, how much electricity is that rack draining when idle?
(2012-08-22, 18:20)jompan87 Wrote:
(2012-08-22, 16:23)toiva Wrote:

● Cable management panel
● 22" LCD

Yeah, isnt that rack doing a 100db or so when fully mounted with servers?

Mungo, how much electricity is that rack draining when idle?

He does not need to pay to heat the room. It all evens out... Big Grin
lol at first I thought it was a dorm room. . . kinda looked like my dorm room from back in the day

I guess it's more of a home office. . . with a giant heater :-)

Mungo, don't mind us, we are just jealous, it looks totally awesome

You should see my feeble unraid server in my unfinished basement, sitting on top of a big tupperware to protect it from flooding. You would have a good laugh
(2012-08-22, 19:49)aptalca Wrote: lol at first I thought it was a dorm room. . . kinda looked like my dorm room from back in the day

I guess it's more of a home office. . . with a giant heater :-)

Mungo, don't mind us, we are just jealous, it looks totally awesome

You should see my feeble unraid server in my unfinished basement, sitting on top of a big tupperware to protect it from flooding. You would have a good laugh

(Chanting) Picture! Picture! Picture!
lol, fine here it is

beware though, it is so beautiful like Zoolander's "Magnum", you might be temporarily blinded :-)

Next to it is my power supply.

The tupperware provides flood protection, however it is prone to earthquake damage due to toppling over :-)

The case is the antec three hundred illusion, which is holding an athlon ii x2 4450e (unlocked sempron 145), 4 gig ram, 1x2TB parity, 3x2TB data, 1x1TB data, 1x500GB cache drive running unraid 4.7 w/ sab/couch/sick, virtualbox (winxp 512MB ram), airvideo and mysql for xbmc and digikam

Soooo, there is my rack. Whaddya think? Tongue
Haha, yeah - I must admit, the Mrs does quite well putting up with the house "technology" - not just that equipment. The rack is in the office, which really doesn't get used for anything apart from PC part storage lol, so it may as well be called a server room. (I literally have a wall of slide-out tubs that hold PC parts, that the mrs jokes that when I'm building or fixing something that I have to go to "the store" to get parts - most of the time are new, still in packets straight from the office. lol can see a bit of them in the pic with the rack door shut)
There's a reverse cycle air-con in there for it all as well that can keep it all within decent temperatures during summer, as it does get up to 40ºC / 104ºF here in Australia - Winter isn't an issue.

The rack fans don't start unless the temperature inside the rack gets to 30ºC. It was pretty quiet, until the HDD temperatures in the fileserver started to creep up, so I've replaced the fans in that with high RPM / CFM / Pressure fans, which are somewhat noisy - but tolerable...tolerable enough not to have to close the office door....yet lol.

Not entirely sure how much power it uses, but considering our power bill is almost exactly on par with my work mates, who have nowhere near the equipment I do, we're happy. Everything in there is pretty low power with the exception of the fileserver. The UPS will run everything in that rack for an hour on battery (17% load at current storage) - however with just the fileserver off, it runs everything else for 6+ hours. Thankfully with the UPS software, I'm able to configure when specific systems shutdown, at what time, and how long after power is restored, they power back up and in what order. So 1st thing that shuts down is the fileserver if power isn't restored within 15min, then everything else will run for 5hrs, before they start shutting down one by one if power STILL isn't back on.

Have a shitload of photo's during the biulds etc. if anyone is interesting in stickybeaking, just let me know Smile
Thank you Mungo!!!!! I was able to show my wife how good she has it and it could be worse!!! LOL Big Grin

Although........
(2012-08-22, 21:23)aptalca Wrote: lol, fine here it is

beware though, it is so beautiful like Zoolander's "Magnum", you might be temporarily blinded :-)

Next to it is my power supply.

The tupperware provides flood protection, however it is prone to earthquake damage due to toppling over :-)

The case is the antec three hundred illusion, which is holding an athlon ii x2 4450e (unlocked sempron 145), 4 gig ram, 1x2TB parity, 3x2TB data, 1x1TB data, 1x500GB cache drive running unraid 4.7 w/ sab/couch/sick, virtualbox (winxp 512MB ram), airvideo and mysql for xbmc and digikam

Soooo, there is my rack. Whaddya think? Tongue

I think it is great!

We use these -> http://www.walmart.com/ip/Seville-Classi...g/15409067 at my work sometimes for the non rack equipment.

I really need to get a battery backup.
UPS Backups are great,..but they're not infallible,..nor cheap.
Fro one, UPS backups draw considerable power.

I also recently had my computer just completely lose power due to a faulty Tripp-Lite UPS.
I'm the 3rd one this happened to,..so I suppose,..these things need to be factored in when considering redundancy at home.
BTW: I love the tupperware solution. Something I would do.
I thought there would be more.....
Ditto.
(2012-08-23, 15:14)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: UPS Backups are great,..but they're not infallible,..nor cheap.
Fro one, UPS backups draw considerable power.

I also recently had my computer just completely lose power due to a faulty Tripp-Lite UPS.
I'm the 3rd one this happened to,..so I suppose,..these things need to be factored in when considering redundancy at home.
BTW: I love the tupperware solution. Something I would do.

I have been trying to get everything rack mountable. Looking at a 1600 watt ups. Also trying to convince the wife we need a whole house generator. =)
Update

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Show me your rack!0