Audio over HDMI with TV off?
Is there any way to get audio over HDMI with my TV off? I have my HTPC hooked into an Onkyo ST-3400 receiver, and it would be nice to be able to have the receiver on and quickly just pull up a playlist on my phone and gun it, from anywhere in the house, without fiddling with the TV. As it is now though, with my TV off Windows just assumes my ears are off too and cuts the audio.
I have no problem playing music through my amp with the TV off. I have my PC connected via HDMI directly to my amp, and the amp to the TV via HDMI. You may have to change the speaker settings on your amp from amp+tv to amp, or something similar.

Nevermind, it ran out the buffer and then went off, causing XBMC to freeze. Sorry for the false hope.
You should definitely be able to play it with the TV off - I do all the time (using nightlies not Eden). Somewhere in the TV or receiver will be a setting you need to adjust.

Switching the TV off while XBMC is playing is not adviseable - just the way HDMI is.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Yeah, I heard a rumor AE could do this but have had problems with frodo freezing. I'll try alpha 3. Thanks for letting me know it SHOULD be possible. That should be enough to get me started!
(2012-08-27, 01:33)Broken9754 Wrote: Yeah, I heard a rumor AE could do this but have had problems with frodo freezing. I'll try alpha 3. Thanks for letting me know it SHOULD be possible. That should be enough to get me started!

This is nothing to do with AEand even without AE you can do this with the final version of Eden. This may be an issue with how you setup your TV connection to the receiver.

That's correct
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2012-08-27, 01:53)atlind01 Wrote:
(2012-08-27, 01:33)Broken9754 Wrote: Yeah, I heard a rumor AE could do this but have had problems with frodo freezing. I'll try alpha 3. Thanks for letting me know it SHOULD be possible. That should be enough to get me started!

This is nothing to do with AEand even without AE you can do this with the final version of Eden. This may be an issue with how you setup your TV connection to the receiver.

Ha, ok NOW I'm on the right track!
Disable hdmi cec in avr and tv. It may help.
(2012-08-27, 02:29)DDDamian Wrote: That's correct

Agree.
Did you ever get this issue resolved?

I have the same issue I have HDMI CEC disabled on both the TV and the receiver.

I have an Onkyo HT-S3500 receiver, and a Samsung DLP TV. I know this is not an XBMC issue, it seems to be an HTPC issue if I play music with other programs such as VLC or iTunes, and then turn off the TV it stops the audio as well.

However if I play music through my XBOX 360, and turn off the TV, the music will stop for a moment, but then resume playing even with the TV off.

I have an ACER Revo running windows 7 as the HTPC, anyone know of a setting to change there that might fix this?

The XBOX and HTPC are both going to the receiver via HDMI, and then one HDMI out to the TV.

HTPC: Acer Revo 3610, Windows 7, Latest XBMC Nightlies, Hulu Desktop, Netflix, and Harmony 300 Remote
Server: 4 TB (and growing) WHS
I never got this issue resolved per se... I bought a new computer which uses an intel HD 4000 graphics chip, with which I use HDMI audio out. Receiver and TV are unchanged. I can now turn my TV off and sound continues to play just fine. Previously I had an AMD chip and used HDMI out. That's all that changed as far as I know, but my problem is gone. Wish I could help more. In a separate thread one of the devs suggests the issue may be xbmc not refreshing correctly after losing a handshake or something like that, but I've never had anything but trouble with AMD graphics drivers. Until proven otherwise, I blame them, haha!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio over HDMI with TV off?0